What needs to happen in Jan window (1 Viewer)

Hertsccfc

The problem I have with Haji Wright is his lack of aggression and you can’t train or coach that imo. I hope I sit here in a month or two swallowing these words but at the moment I just don’t see it.
It's the problem with both of the new strikers but at least Wright shows it sometimes.

slowpoke

I don’t know how far you go back but could you see Wright getting aggressive with Brian Kilcline, I reckon his nickname of Killer would frighten him to death.

SBAndy

I am not sure it is an admission of failure and even if it is surely it's better to do that than buy another CM, when we already have our two best players in that position. Maybe Simms and Wright will turn out to be great in the long term, but they are clearly not exactly performing brilliantly yet and we need to give them time. So what we need is an experienced striker as well as a creative attacking midfielder.

Two best players in CM? Really?

Even away from that, I think it’s now fairly proven that they don’t function well together.

Matt smith

Real dilemma because if I was king I wouldn’t trust robins with another penny of it.

so he has to ask himself do we just look to recruit loans in January

if we’re in the bottom 3 or 4th bottom by January I’d look at a change of Manager and give him the hamer money, as that would be an attractive proposition to an incoming manager

JSL

Real dilemma because if I was king I wouldn’t trust robins with another penny of it.

if we’re in the bottom 3 or 4th bottom by January I’d look at a change of Manager and give him the hamer money, as that would be an attractive proposition to an incoming manager

As long as its not Rooney

Balli001

So how can you trust a new manager any differently?

Offhegoes

The problem I have with Haji Wright is his lack of aggression and you can’t train or coach that imo. I hope I sit here in a month or two swallowing these words but at the moment I just don’t see it.
He's not that kind of player. Lots of great strikers are not aggressive. He's low on confidence and adapting to a new club / country.
He has been a disappointment, but i've seen enough to think he will come good. Same with Simms.
Never got that feeling from Waghorn or Walker. They didn't suit us at all, and it was obvious right from the start.

shmmeee

I actually saw some sparks of that second half. Was good to see. He’s no Vik yet, but showed some grit I thought.

BlueSkiesForever

Whilst I realise I don’t know the ins and outs of the whole transfer business it does seem like Doug hasn’t funded the club particularly well during the transfer window, and yes we’ve signed a player for a record club fee but tbh that’s sort of expected when you’re making approx £35 million from 2 quality players.

I don’t want to judge him too harshly until after the Jan window but the club is currently in approx £15 million profit from this season’s transfers and I’m not sure any club should be showing that much profit when you’re in a supposed “transition phase”. Realistically a proper quality CM should been signed and perhaps rather than relying on cheap players or free agents we should be looking to buy real top quality wingbacks instead of Dasilva (not that’s he’s been awful) and the likes of Ayari and Lati (who is decent, just not exceptional).

If we want to be in the premiership then I think maybe our recruitment and DK should have acted like they want to be in the premiership and put the big money on the table. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens in January.

Sick Boy

Whilst I realise I don’t know the ins and outs of the whole transfer business it does seem like Doug hasn’t funded the club particularly well during the transfer window, and yes we’ve signed a player for a record club fee but tbh that’s sort of expected when you’re making approx £35 million from 2 quality players.

I don’t want to judge him too harshly until after the Jan window but the club is currently in approx £15 million profit from this season’s transfers and I’m not sure any club should be showing that much profit when you’re in a supposed “transition phase”. Realistically a proper quality CM should been signed and perhaps rather than relying on cheap players or free agents we should be looking to buy real top quality wingbacks instead of Dasilva (not that’s he’s been awful) and the likes of Ayari and Lati (who is decent, just not exceptional).

If we want to be in the premiership then I think maybe our recruitment and DK should have acted like they want to be in the premiership and put the big money on the table. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens in January.
For all we know we tried to sign a CM but were being majorly overpriced.

SBAndy

One word: value.

We needed to sign 10+ players. No way we weren’t taking up some cheaper options as well as splashing out in areas. I know Latibeaudiere is viewed by some as a bit ‘meh’ but I think if he was given a prolonged run at RCB he’d look very good. As an aside, my formation preference in the long run would still be 3421 with Lati/Kitching/Binks as back 3.

However I’ll keep banging the drum that Wright was a stupid signing because he presented little to no value.

Legia Sky Blue

While we have spent decent money on transfer fees I still get the impression that our wage bill is still toward the lower end of the league, and given the financial pickle many clubs are in that is probably the correct course of action. Before the start of the season most of our fans were delighted with our transfer business, and I don't know who you might realistically have in mind when you are talking about a quality CM and top quality wing backs. You and many on here seem to think that finding a like for like Hamer replacement is a simpler matter than it actually is. We got lucky when we signed Hamer! I would also argue that Van Ewijk might yet turn out to be a top wing back, and that his signing did seem to be an ambitious one, given that he had a reputation in Holland which was probably higher than Hamer's when he signed for us.

Matt smith

While we have spent decent money on transfer fees I still get the impression that our wage bill is still toward the lower end of the league, and given the financial pickle many clubs are in that is probably the correct course of action. Before the start of the season most of our fans were delighted with our transfer business, and I don't know who you might realistically have in mind when you are talking about a quality CM and top quality wing backs. You and many on here seem to think that finding a like for like Hamer replacement is a simpler matter than it actually is. We got lucky when we signed Hamer! I would also argue that Van Ewijk might yet turn out to be a top wing back, and that his signing did seem to be an ambitious one, given that he had a reputation in Holland which was probably higher than Hamer's when he signed for us.
You think our wage bill is in the lower half of the league after the signings we’ve made 😂😂😂

Legia Sky Blue

You think our wage bill is in the lower half of the league after the signings we’ve made 😂😂😂

Yes, I doubt we have a single player on 20k a week. We have bought young players in because they command lower wages, but have a bigger sell on potential. You like many are blinded by the reported transfer fees, which are more than likely based on a final fee incorporating add ons.

Matt smith

Yes, I doubt we have a single player on 20k a week. We have bought young players in because they command lower wages, but have a bigger sell on potential. You like many are blinded by the reported transfer fees, which are more than likely based on a final fee incorporating add ons.
I wouldn’t have a clue

but I’d be confident that wright would be as a 7 million pound acquisition

Cally Fedora

For those who are saying King hasn’t invested any money he did pay a chunky sum to take the club over. I’d be amazed if we bring a forward in. I’d rather get one expensive MF signing

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But if he does that and only allows him loans, what about next summer? Does he suddenly trust him to spend the money again? And if he's going to trust him next summer why not January?

If he's not going to trust him to spend the money on transfers he has to get rid of him. If not he has to trust him and let him spend the money on a Hamer replacement in January if MR identifies a target.

SBAndy

But if he does that and only allows him loans, what about next summer? Does he suddenly trust him to spend the money again? And if he's going to trust him next summer why not January?

If he's not going to trust him to spend the money on transfers he has to get rid of him. If not he has to trust him and let him spend the money on a Hamer replacement in January if MR identifies a target.

Obviously the recruitment ‘team’ have copped a lot of flak for the summer dealings, but ultimately I think our biggest investment should be into our recruitment team. We could really do with a multitude of roles/disciplines if we’re being run seriously. Genuinely wouldn’t be averse to throwing some sizeable (for the role) salaries out there.

junglej13

O’Brien was available on loan but we went all in for Kitching instead.
Not denying we could have done with a loan signing but I wouldn't compare the two. We chased Kitching all summer and he will be a good signing.

Our main midfield target wasn't available it seems. Personally think we will get the number 1 target in Jan. It's very difficult to rebuild pretty much a whole team in one window.

BlueSkiesForever

Obviously the recruitment ‘team’ have copped a lot of flak for the summer dealings, but ultimately I think our biggest investment should be into our recruitment team. We could really do with a multitude of roles/disciplines if we’re being run seriously. Genuinely wouldn’t be averse to throwing some sizeable (for the role) salaries out there.
Yeah that’s probably for the best tbf, actually having some decent recruitment staff and general management would be good for the club in the long run. I don’t think having mates of Robins that have come from random league 1-2 and non-league clubs is a good thing, yes it’s good having management that he can trust but are these people actually exceptional at their job? Or are they there because they’re mates with the boss?

Matt smith

Yeah fair comments

CCFC54321

One word: value.

We needed to sign 10+ players. No way we weren’t taking up some cheaper options as well as splashing out in areas. I know Latibeaudiere is viewed by some as a bit ‘meh’ but I think if he was given a prolonged run at RCB he’d look very good. As an aside, my formation preference in the long run would still be 3421 with Lati/Kitching/Binks as back 3.

However I’ll keep banging the drum that Wright was a stupid signing because he presented little to no value.
I’ll call in now that Wright won’t be with the club come the end of January.

CCFC54321

Sorry to disappoint you but he won’t be going anywhere in January, not least because we couldn’t afford another expensive forward
Nothing to do with me disappointed. I don’t think he has settled in the country and if the club gets an offer or we can get our money back he will move on again.

I don’t believe for a minute the club think the move has worked out so far. (Or will)

Users who are viewing this thread