What would our survival odds be if we went up? (1 Viewer)

Major Tom

Sheff united 0-3 down in 15 mins Norwood subbed already.

Would we just be happy for the ride as the gulf is looking wider each year between the Championship and the Premier League

Cally Fedora

I think it becomes strategic. Use the money to buy 2-3 top championship level players. Take the parachute payment and invest again. Then try and repeat until you can assemble a squad to one day consolidate. It’s quite a long process but less risky than just going for it.

CoventryUSA

Impossible to know. There would be a massive amount of squad turnover. Guessing from the current squad would be a fool's errand.

Plus, Doug could look to sell. Who knows what new ownership would do.

Otis

Just wondering if Gus regrets signing for such a bad team. Surely he can't be happy.
It was a crazy move from the off. What a daft thing to do.

You would have thought that other Premier clubs would have looked at him, who were a bit more bedded in, in the Premier, like Palace or Brentford etc.

Sheff Utd always looked odds on certainties to come straight back down again

False9

It you can keep the team spirit together and add some quality you can have a good go at staying up.

I don't understand why Burnley and Kompany seem to have gone under the radar about how shambolic they are. They've spent 100m on top of a championship winning squad and look awful.

Major Tom

You would have thought that other Premier clubs would have looked at him, who were a bit more bedded in, in the Premier, like Palace or Brentford etc.

Agent spun it out as long as they could. F**k him we offered him an improved contract to help us have another run at playoffs and he still could have left at the end of the season with no hard feelings .. hard to tell where his career will go from here.. bank account will look healthy though.

Deity

I suspect it was his only premier offer …..

Financially made for life but I suspect he’s not enjoyed his football much.

remember Gus doesn’t actually follow football at all outside of playing …. Just not that interested .

Major Tom

I suspect it was his only premier offer …..

Financially made for life but I suspect he’s not enjoyed his football much.

remember Gus doesn’t actually follow football at all outside of playing …. Just not that interested .
Will be interesting too see how many prem' clubs are lining up for O'hare

bigfatronssba

I do genuinely think we'd have had more of a go at staying up than Burnley & Sheff Utd.

shmmeee

I’d back us to make a good fist of staying up. Would take a total squad overhaul and some luck butbfuck it. Wouldn’t want us spending £200m tho in case we didncomr straight back down. Plus imagine the shit we’d see from fans if we got a Wright or Simms equivalent for £50m

Warwickhunt

It's quite embarrassing to be Sheff Utd and Burnley! The only good they have out of promotion is the money, bet they can't wait to come back down so that they can get that winning feeling again

HadjiChippo

Everton must be pissing themselves laughing. Spend out of control for years, finally get a punishment and the teams at the bottom are so bad you stay up aby default ahead of moving into a massive new revenue boosting stadium.

CBS16

Luton have the spirit and long built system and work ethic to compete. They've over achieved for years and this season is no different. I really hope they stay up somehow. Burnley and Sheff united seemed to crack how to get up last season, but didn't really have any foundation to compete. If we're to go up we'd need to be tough, well drilled and clinical going forward. Bar maybe Sheaf, Torp and possibly ohare and sakamoto I'm not convinced any of our current squad would be good enough to be in a side looking to consolidate in the premier league, certainly work to do over Dougs 5 year plan to get into a real position to succeed should we get up.

In answer to the thread if we were up there next season reckon we'd be about 5/1 to stay up

messiahrobins

Just wondering if Gus regrets signing for such a bad team. Surely he can't be happy.
He made a monumental mistake. As i knew he was doing. He is now a nobody and wont ever get to play for a PL team again unless he plays for a side in the Championship who gets promoted. He basically saw the money and ran without thinking it through and clearly his agent played him for a fool.
Whether he would have been as good for us this season as last season i am very sceptical about so i think we did well to get our 15m. Many will disagree with that but i honestly think last season was his ceiling.

long way home

It wouldn't be for the faint hearted, week after week of watching games through our fingers. But honestly if offered id take it for purely financial reasons. The money would make a massive difference especially if we were running a steady ship with long term strategy to improve the club in every aspect.

I truly believe it will be more fun getting there, than being there.

Terry Gibson's perm

It wouldn't be for the faint hearted, week after week of watching games through our fingers. But honestly if offered id take it for purely financial reasons. The money would make a massive difference especially if we were running a steady ship with long term strategy to improve the club in every aspect.

I truly believe it will be more fun getting there, than being there.
Fully agree with the last part.

I think we would have been in the bottom four or five.

hamertime

He made a monumental mistake. As i knew he was doing. He is now a nobody and wont ever get to play for a PL team again unless he plays for a side in the Championship who gets promoted. He basically saw the money and ran without thinking it through and clearly his agent played him for a fool.
Whether he would have been as good for us this season as last season i am very sceptical about so i think we did well to get our 15m. Many will disagree with that but i honestly think last season was his ceiling.
How is it a monumental mistake, he is made for life. That might be his sole purpose in playing football so for him it could be the best decision he’s ever made.

Bad Boy

The usual 'you'd move jobs for a substantial payrise' has been rolled out multiple times on here but there has to be more reasoning than money to get out of bed in the mornings, surely?
Hamer can't seriously be enjoying this seasons chastening experience despite a substantial paycheck and what will next season bring in the championship?
It looks like a gamble that hasn't paid off for him.

AJB1983

I just feel like the gap between the top sides and the likes of Sheffield utd, Luton and any teams that get promoted, especially teams such as us who haven’t been in the prem for a very long time (and thus not benefitted from the dosh) is getting so big now it’s almost impossible to compete.
Obviously the likes of wolves, Brentford and Brighton have been very smart with what they’ve done to allow them to stay there for a bit and build, but how often did we see teams like arsenal and Liverpool (Man Utd and Chelsea back when they were winning) smashing teams for 5 or 6 regularly like we do now? It happened the odd time but not regularly. Sheff it’s got beat 6-0 last night and 8-0 earlier in season?
One of the pundits said it last week in the Luton Man City game, that those two teams are in the same league, and it was worlds apart.

alexccfc99

Gus has fucked his career going there - All well and good being paid well but it still can't be enjoyable being drubbed every week

Has he put himself in the shop window for another Prem team to pick him up when they go down? No

Do I think Sheffield United will be any good next season? Not particularly

Do I have much sympathy? No

I think Hamer was in the perfect environment here, a fanbase that adored him, he was the main man (or one of them) and working under a manager that could get the best out of him but still let him get away with a few things that a professional footballer probably shouldn't get away with - I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up filed alongside McNulty/Bayliss etc. of people who left for so called bigger and better things and then had a career nosedive

PVA

I'm sure we'd come back straight down. But Robins continues to surpass expectations, so who knows.

But if we did come straight back down, I'd fancy us to go back up again and then establish ourselves.

And if Robins does take us up, I really hope the idiots won't start calling for his head when we're 19th after bout 6 games. Who am I kidding, of course they will.

Samo

He probably has a little peek at his bank balance at half time and doesn't feel too bad.

ProfessorbyGrace

In a way, with hindsight, I’m glad we didn’t win the playoff final, as the entire next season in the Premiership would have been an albeit different squad ‘rebuild’, but at a considerably higher level of intensity and pressure.

We’d have had to gel a lot quicker, for sure, and there was potential to be whipping boys, even if we kept both Vik and Gus.

I’d rather us get there with an established and evolving team spine, and actually survive, and avoid being the next yo-yo team.

Otis

I'm sure we'd come back straight down. But Robins continues to surpass expectations, so who knows.

But if we did come straight back down, I'd fancy us to go back up again and then establish ourselves.

And if Robins does take us up, I really hope the idiots won't start calling for his head when we're 19th after bout 6 games. Who am I kidding, of course they will.
100% they will and I am 99% certain he would be sacked.

You've seen how unhappy people on here are after a couple of defeats. Imagine getting a constant good thumping.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I just think if we did go up and struggled by this time in the season MR would be gone. Much as he has plenty of credit points I think it amazing how fans turn.At the moment were doing pretty well but the number of times he gets questioned over decisions just think if we had Sheffields results and form what it would be like.
I do feel if we did go up we would have very little chance of staying there without a Forrest type investment.

Mcbean

Sheffield won’t be the same team when they come down - change of management and some poor purchases including Gus who needed a team around him BUT they will get full parachute payments which make it so bloody unfair - let’s see how we get on against Wolves 😀

Users who are viewing this thread