What year would you say has been the best ever year for song releases? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Nominate a year you feel has been the best ever in terms of the best quality of songs released in the UK.

Two spring to mind for me;

1. 1967

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles, Arnold Layne- Pink Floyd, Flowers in the Rain - The Move, Happy Together - The Turtles, Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck, Hole in My Shoe - Traffic, I Am The Walrus - The Beatles, I CAn Hear The Grass Grow - The Move, I Can See for Miles - The Who, I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye, I Say A Little Prayer - Dionne Warwick, I'm A Believer - The Monkees, Itchycoo Park - The Small Faces, Daydream Believer - The Monkees, Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd, Hello Goodbye - The Beatles, Let's Spend The Night Together - The Rolling Stones, Light My Fire - The Doors, Mellow Yellow - Donovan, Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues, Penny Lane - The Beatles, Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix, Ruby Tuesday - Melanie, See Emily Play - Pink Floyd, Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles, Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson, The Monkees Theme - The Monkees, There's a Ghost In My House - R Dean Taylor, Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks, White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane, A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum, Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison etc.

2. 1977

All Around The World - The Jam, Complete Control - The Clash, Gary Gilmore's Eyes - The Adverts, God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols, Funtime - Iggy Pop, Heroes - David Bowie, Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols, I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Devo, I'm Always Touched By Your Presence Dear - Blondie, In The City - The Jam, Lookin After Number 1 - The Boomtown Rats, Marquee Moon -Television, The Modern World - The Jam, Mongoloid - Devo, Neat, Neat, Neat - The Damned, No More Heroes - The Stranglers, Oh Bondage Up Yours - X-Ray Spex, Orgasm Addict - The Buzzcocks, The Passenger - Iggy Pop, Peaches - The Stranglers, Pretty Vacant - The Sex Pistols, Psycho Killer - Talking Heads, Remote Control - The Clash, Rip Her To Shreds - Blondie, Rockwrok - Ultravox, Sex And Drugs And Rock N Roll - Ian Dury and the Blockheads, She's a Windup - Dr. Feelgood, Sheena Is A Punk Rocker - The Ramones, Something Better Change - The Stranglers, Sonic Reducer - The Dead Boys, Sound and Vision - David Bowie, Spanish Stroll - Mink DeVille, Sweet Gene Vincent - Ian Dury and the Blockheads, This Perfect Day - The Saints.

Anyone name any better year?

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
I'm going for 1980.

thaiskyblue

Mar 30, 2013
1977 punk and new wave smashed it's way in and shook up a very dull music scene all concept albums and mega stadium bands like yes and elp (dull), punk brought music back to the kids, anyone could have a go .

thaiskyblue

Mar 30, 2013
new wave i class as the jam, elvis costello, blondie, defo not durran durran, depeche mode and gary numan.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Would you say that if someone said they liked Jungle Book or Psycho, or The Maltese Falcon, or The Italian Job, or North By Northwest, or Jaws, or Alien, or The Magnifcent Seven?

What about if someone likes classical music and the likes of Beethoven and Wagner etc. or likes the jazz and blues music of the 1930's and 40's?

Basically you can like music and film and art of any era.

My daughter's favourite bands? Muse, Elbow, Ash, The Beatles, The Kinks, The Ramones, The Small Faces, The Beach Boys and Eels.

Is she too old to be on the internet? She is 9.

smouch1975

Apr 26, 2012
No. She is too young. Lots of freaks on the internet. Blimey. Just type in CCFC and us losers turn up

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
New Wave, New Romantic?

Ahem..the birth of Marillion.

Looking at favourite albums I think 1974/5 looks a fine vintage as well

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Ahem..the birth of Marillion.

Looking at favourite albums I think 1974/5 looks a fine vintage as well

Ohh yeah, Marillion, how could I forget!!

You'd think they'd have it on the calendar or something by now wouldn't you, you know, Marillion Day.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
Ohh yeah, Marillion, how could I forget!!

You'd think they'd have it on the calendar or something by now wouldn't you, you know, Marillion Day.

1974/5 saw a few of my favourite albums - supertramp crime of the century and crises what crises, pink floyd with dark side of the moon and also wish you were here (preferred the latter) black sabbath with volume 4 and sabbath bloody sabbath and my favourite album of all time warriors on the edge of time by Hawkwind.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
1974/5 saw a few of my favourite albums - supertramp crime of the century and crises what crises, pink floyd with dark side of the moon and also wish you were here (preferred the latter) black sabbath with volume 4 and sabbath bloody sabbath and my favourite album of all time warriors on the edge of time by Hawkwind.

Crisis What Crisis? Was a very good album I agree, but it was pretty much all downhill from there for them. The 2 Floyd albums are great. Can't say too much about Sabbath and Hawkwind because I have heard so little of them.

bringbackrattles

Aug 19, 2013
Early 70's was good,FREE,SABBATH,DEEP PURPLE,JETHRO TULL,all had singles and albums out which are classics.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Early 70's was good,FREE,SABBATH,DEEP PURPLE,JETHRO TULL,all had singles and albums out which are classics.

My brother used to be mad on Jethro Tull. I could take them or leave them. Deep Purple in Rock was an excellent album.

skybluejelly

Apr 15, 2011
rugby
Obviously a lot of this is personal taste .. Early 80's probably 83,red red wine ,thriller ,anything by madness..

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Dec 9, 2011
Coventry

Excpt for the obvious you've got good taste in music Dark Side was 1973 by the way

bringbackrattles

Aug 19, 2013
My brother used to be mad on Jethro Tull. I could take them or leave them. Deep Purple in Rock was an excellent album.
Your brother has good taste Otis,Ian Anderson is a legend.Free were my favourite band in the 70's as All Right Now is a classic track,and the album Fire and Water is still fresh today.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Your brother has good taste Otis,Ian Anderson is a legend.Free were my favourite band in the 70's as All Right Now is a classic track,and the album Fire and Water is still fresh today.

Preferred My Brother Jake to All Right Now to be honest. Forgot about Fireball.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Jan 24, 2011
Malvern
1969 - 1970 were the best years for music as far as I care. Other years were 1962 - 68. From '75 onwards and through the 80's was total garbage. 90's and onwards? Forget it!

rondog1973

Aug 16, 2011
Coventry, County of the City of Coventry
1991 for me....
Blur-There's no other way, Electronic-Get the Message, Guns N' Roses-You could be mine, Jah Wobble-Visions of you, Massive Attack-Unfinished Sympathy, Mettalica-Enter Sandman, Nirvana-Smells like Teen Spirit, Primal Scream-Higher than the Sun, REM-Losing my Religion, Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Under the Bridge, Sugar-The Act we Act, The Black Crowes-Twice as Hard, The KLF-Last Train to Trancentral, U2-Mysterious Ways......

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
1991 for me....
Blur-There's no other way, Electronic-Get the Message, Guns N' Roses-You could be mine, Jah Wobble-Visions of you, Massive Attack-Unfinished Sympathy, Mettalica-Enter Sandman, Nirvana-Smells like Teen Spirit, Primal Scream-Higher than the Sun, REM-Losing my Religion, Red Hot Chilli Peppers-Under the Bridge, Sugar-The Act we Act, The Black Crowes-Twice as Hard, The KLF-Last Train to Trancentral, U2-Mysterious Ways......

Certainly some good stuff in there.

Think good years usually tend to come in trends of music and new styles, Mersey Sound, Flower Power, Glam Rock, Punk, New Romantic, Hip Hop, Grunge etc.

Uusually a new movement brings with it new energy. At the moment we seem to be awaiting a new movement once again and our merely drowning in One Direction style poppy pap.

Users who are viewing this thread