What's your tipping point? (2 Viewers)

Otis

We were top in mid November, then the wheels came off mate. A steady descent from then. results from other teams losing slowed the downward drop. We caught the other teams napping, but they worked out our strategy and nullyfied it. By mid January our season was all but over, apart from a little run of 4 wins right at the end of the season. ;)
Yes, I agree. But we were still in the top 6. It was a steady decline, but the right wheeling and dealing in January could have easily had us back on track.

There seemed to be a change this season and a settling for mediocrity.

skybluetony176

I'm always up and down like a yo-yo myself. It's one of the reasons why I always go to the trophy games. Aside from them being midweek which is always better for me we inevitably look good against lesser opposition and score some goals. This lifts my spirits and encourages me to return. If it wasn't for these games in the last throws of SP's reign I'd probably have given up. Certainly until Mowbray arrived. Pre Xmas I was majorly turned off with crap football and bad results, as someone else has eluded to TF's radio interviews didn't help either. But with the appointment of RS, better performances and some what seem on the face of it good signings I'm feeling motivated again. Will I continue to support if we went down to league two? Absolutely. Would I continue to support if we were non league? Absolutely. How many games would I attend? Probably the same as I do now and for the same reasons. So it depends on how motivated I am. See above for how that's generated. It's not about the level for me. It's more to do with the spirit of the team and more wider the club as a whole.

ajsccfc

Pre Xmas I was majorly turned off with crap football and bad results, as someone else has eluded to TF's radio interviews didn't help either. But with the appointment of RS, better performances and some what seem on the face of it good signings I'm feeling motivated again.

This is me too. At the moment I'm saying no, but I did that before Mowbray was hired too.

Otis

I'm always up and down like a yo-yo myself. It's one of the reasons why I always go to the trophy games. Aside from them being midweek which is always better for me we inevitably look good against lesser opposition and score some goals. This lifts my spirits and encourages me to return. If it wasn't for these games in the last throws of SP's reign I'd probably have given up. Certainly until Mowbray arrived. Pre Xmas I was majorly turned off with crap football and bad results, as someone else has eluded to TF's radio interviews didn't help either. But with the appointment of RS, better performances and some what seem on the face of it good signings I'm feeling motivated again. Will I continue to support if we went down to league two? Absolutely. Would I continue to support if we were non league? Absolutely. How many games would I attend? Probably the same as I do now and for the same reasons. So it depends on how motivated I am. See above for how that's generated. It's not about the level for me. It's more to do with the spirit of the team and more wider the club as a whole.
Yep, that's me too.

I don't mind what league we are in as long as we are competitive and set up to give that league a real go.

I do think the spirit of the club is definitely missing at the moment.

olderskyblue

My tipping point is when I read some of the utter shit on this site, and the pure embarrassment I feel at some of my fellow CCFC fans, fans who claim others have 'mental heatlh issues' or similar, because of their opinion.

We live in a democracy and the utter shit peddled on this site makes me ashamed of supporting the club at times. Couple that with my hatred of SISU and I am on the edge. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope SISU will go, and that I don't sit next to one of these twats at the ground.

If you are in your 80's, there's a good chance you do sit next to one of them....... ;)

peeler

My tipping point was when they moved to Northampton.
I weakened a bit when they came back and went to 2 or 3 games
I soon realised nothing had changed and my point was well and truly tipped again.

Nothing will make me go and watch the Sky Blues again until SISU have gone.

ecky

At the moment all I see is loan players coming and going.
Academy players with an ounce of promise being sold

There is no real plan from the board for stability and longevity which breeds success

No surprise then of where we are in the league

Nick

Administrator
At the moment all I see is loan players coming and going.
Academy players with an ounce of promise being sold

There is no real plan from the board for stability and longevity which breeds success

No surprise then of where we are in the league

Do you have that selective vision where it only sees things you want to? I've seen somebody sign in the past week that isn't a short term loan.

shmmeee

Thanks for all the replies, thread going better than I expected. Likes all round.

I realise I didn't answer, and that's because Im honestly not sure.

This is the first season Ive not seen a City game live (couldn't even get a stream working), but I plan on going at some point when the stars align and obviously I still check the news each day. It feels like a tipping point because the thought of going to a game doesn't exactly fill me with joy, but like others I can't see a time CCFC isn't in my life.

Food for thought certainly.

ecky

Do you have that selective vision where it only sees things you want to? I've seen somebody sign in the past week that isn't a short term loan.

You know what I mean Nick that's an exception, as a rule that's how this club functions
Look how many just went back?
You won't get anywhere and have progression and stability with loanees and while you keep selling your promising youngsters.

You don't have to sell everyone to keep making a quick buck, but fisher will to balance the books as next season the gates will be even less

shmmeee

If you have a tipping point then i would question whether you support the team that much anyway. Supporting your team is for life, good or bad, successful or not.

I certainly couldn't just switch off my support. Whlst there is a CCFC then I'm there regardless of the league.

I see your point, I guess my follow up question is: when is your team not your team?

Let's say we did an MK Dons and moves city, changed name, changed kit, everything (I know it's unlikely but that's not the point), would you still count us as "your team" or would you see that as a natural end point?

Nick

Administrator
You know what I mean Nick that's an exception, as a rule that's how this club functions
Look how many just went back?
You won't get anywhere and have progression and stability with loanees and while you keep selling your promising youngsters.

You don't have to sell everyone to keep making a quick buck, but fisher will to balance the books as next season the gates will be even less
You will get results with a decent mixture of youth, experience and maybe a couple of loans.

Look at how slade only played Sterry last game because he didn't want to rely on any of the others.

Nick

Administrator
I see your point, I guess my follow up question is: when is your team not your team?

Let's say we did an MK Dons and moves city, changed name, changed kit, everything (I know it's unlikely but that's not the point), would you still count us as "your team" or would you see that as a natural end point?

Moving away for good then it wouldn't be my team.
Changed name, I'd struggle with that but it would depend what to.
Changed kit, again it would depend what it was changed to and why.

ajsccfc

It feels like a tipping point because the thought of going to a game doesn't exactly fill me with joy

This part applied to me pre-Christmas more than I can ever remember, it was actually a relief to not bother going to the Sheffield Utd game. Slade and the new signings have piqued my interest a little again, I find myself looking for the next home game rather than seeing how long I've got before I have to drag myself along again.

ecky

You will get results with a decent mixture of youth, experience and maybe a couple of loans.

Look at how slade only played Sterry last game because he didn't want to rely on any of the others.
If your fielding a different team week in week out and starting all over again in Jan and close season your chances of promotion are very slim

That's why good clubs have a good preseason with a nucleus of settled consistent players, and then if needed they strengthen by adding to it

We haven't done that for years, who's the longest serving player at the moment we have bought?

Nick

Administrator
If your fielding a different team week in week out and starting all over again in Jan and close season your chances of promotion are very slim

That's why good clubs have a good preseason with a nucleus of settled consistent players, and then if needed they strengthen by adding to it

We haven't done that for years, who's the longest serving player at the moment we have bought?

Yes, that's where managers take the blame as well.

Bought as in for money or a permanent signing?

stupot07

I think there's a number of levels to this, and there's a big difference from not renewing STs/going fewer times to stop caring and move on to start supporting a new team

For me, I still enjoy going, said number of times its more than just the result its time spent with 4 generations of my family and my youngest is absolutely besotted with the club.

I will be getting a ST next year, even if we get relegated. There may come a time in thr future where I stop getting a ST but I'm not sure what the tipping point would be (ccfc factors not external) but I imagine I wouod still go to 5-10 games a season. I'd probably stick it (have an ST) in league two and thr national conference (5th tier), but would probably drop off and just do odd games if they went lower. I don't think we would drop out of the football league anyway even if we operate break even in league 2, I find all that scaremongering nonsense.

As for supporting another club whilst ccfc are in existance FC United style? Sorry but until ccfc officially dies I can't support any other club, I only have one team in my heart and I will not give up it officially ceases to exist. I am ccfc for life. I'm not even sure whether I could support a real Phoenix.. It would all depend on how it was set up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

I've said before, if we move miles outside of the city it will not feel like my club anymore.

I felt exactly that way when we went to Northampton and that was only temporary!!

I had no idea who we were playing, when we were playing, or even half the time, what the result was in games.

Really did feel that it wasn't my team back then, so to move out of the city permanently, well, then I would be truly done.

I would much, much prefer a City team playing in the Conference IN Coventry, than a City team 30 miles away playing in the Premier.

ceetee

Well I guess I'm a bit different from most of you in that I was brought up in a Warwickshire village with no connections to Coventry so going to a game was an occasional treat. I can't even remember my first game but it must have been late 50s. Even went to Leicester occasionally as they were first division and that's where the car owner wanted to go. i identified a bit more with Coventry when I went to the Butts and Lanchester and did see a few more games in the 60s, but then I got married and had children.
So it was only the occasional game until after I retired and Saturdays weren't so precious. Then I found that someone I knew went regularly so I joined him and became a ST holder.
Despite the ownership I have wanted to go to make the most of the time I have left (I'm 73) so I did go to Sixfields and don't apologise for it. I guess as long as I am well enough, and have friends who want to go, I will continue, but who knows how long that will be.
I certainly wouldn't support Cov Utd. or any other pretend replacement club. There are more deserving local non-league teams if I really must watch football.

Colin Steins Smile

I'm currently hanging on to memories of CCFC from 66-67 season onwards, so I've been really lucky to have lived through a lot of good times and passionate "great escapes". The TF recent interview was the closest I've been to giving up on the club. The leadership are responsible for the Vision and Strategy for the club. TF's vision gives us little or no hope or improved circumstances. I'm not expecting an etihad level of investment.....just some level of competence and HOPE that we have a club with ambition.

tisza

It will always be my club.
Would have no interest if it moved and wouldn't support another club. Would rather get involved with a local league club.
The family was always Coventry City. Grandfather took me up first in 1974. Half the families down our street seemed to go - mind you this was when you knew your neighbours!
Maybe it's rose-tinted specs but back then the football club did seem to be at the very heart of the city.
So no - i'd never follow another club.

clint van damme

This thread is probably a really bad idea, but fuck it.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Sisu do the worst case scenario and we just keep slowly sliding down the divisions in a vicious circle of cutting costs -> getting worse -> cutting costs.

Wondering what people's personal tipping point would be to either give up altogether or support a "new" CCFC?

Are you here until the end even if we end up with a team of academy kids playing in front of 2k at the Butts? Would a drop out of the league be it? Would it take some action from the owners to convince you there's no light at the end of the tunnel?

Just curious, don't want to start a fight or anything. Been thinking a lot about how resilient a club is to lack of success and who owns the "real" CCFC.

And no, I don't care if you don't think the hypothetical will happen, that's not how thought experiments work.

if I was forced to sit next to some of the liquate the club bore brigade from on here.

rupert_bear

For many the tipping point was reached yonks ago, next time you go apart from hell fire corner have look around you and estimate the average age, not a lot of youngsters as there used to be. I drive a school mini bus 6 to 19 year olds and out of the 10 on there 2 are Wasp regulars 1 one goes to Wasps now and again NONE go to Sky Blues, sign of things to come I reckon

chiefdave

The bloke behind me who shouts forward every 30 seconds might end up being my tipping point. Or his mate who gives a running commentary that makes CWR sound like the golden years of Motson.

Nick

Administrator
The bloke behind me who shouts forward every 30 seconds might end up being my tipping point. Or his mate who gives a running commentary that makes CWR sound like the golden years of Motson.

It isn't the fella in the wheelchair is it?

He cracks me up, remember the West Ham game he kept shouting "score a goal" and we did straight after twice.

covcity4life

guy behind me at scunthorpe game said are agyei wright and sordell triplets? they all look the same!

his mates laughed heads off

no one else did..

Users who are viewing this thread