When Will we ever have anything to shout about (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

Mar 20, 2011
Every season there are 4 division winners, 3 teams get automatic promotion and 12 in the play offs. You've then got 4 teams getting to Wembley for FA Cup semis and final, 2 in the League Cup and 2 in the Paint Trophy. Obviously some overlap but there is a lot of teams each season getting some sort of success. To go as long as we have with nothing takes some doing. Just compare us to the other West Midlands teams:

Coventry 1987 FA Cup winners.
Villa 2010 League Cup final, 1998 League Cup winners, 2010 FA Cup semi final.
West Brom 2008 FA Cup semi, 2008 Championship winners.
Birmingham 2011 League Cup winners.
Leicester 2014 promotion to Prem, 2000 League Cup winners.
Wolves 2009 Championship winners, 2014 promotion to Championship.
Walsall 2007 League 2 winners, 2001 League 1 play off winners.

We've gone 27 without any success, the next longest is Walsall at 7 years.

Of course nobody picks a team to support, or at least shouldn't, based on their success but being a football supporter is supposed to be something enjoyable. When you never have any success where is the enjoyment? it's not surprising really that people are losing interest.

The one thing we have always had is hope, maybe this will be the year if only we can get in a couple of decent signings etc. Under SISU we've even lost that and when you're supporting a team that hasn't had any success in decades and has no hope of any success in the immediate future its a surprise we've retained the fan base we have, albeit only going to away games.

you have forgotten that we came 8th in the championship once :D

ccfcway

Mar 20, 2011
Every season there are 4 division winners, 3 teams get automatic promotion and 12 in the play offs. You've then got 4 teams getting to Wembley for FA Cup semis and final, 2 in the League Cup and 2 in the Paint Trophy. Obviously some overlap but there is a lot of teams each season getting some sort of success. To go as long as we have with nothing takes some doing. Just compare us to the other West Midlands teams:

Coventry 1987 FA Cup winners.
Villa 2010 League Cup final, 1998 League Cup winners, 2010 FA Cup semi final.
West Brom 2008 FA Cup semi, 2008 Championship winners.
Birmingham 2011 League Cup winners.
Leicester 2014 promotion to Prem, 2000 League Cup winners.
Wolves 2009 Championship winners, 2014 promotion to Championship.
Walsall 2007 League 2 winners, 2001 League 1 play off winners.

We've gone 27 without any success, the next longest is Walsall at 7 years.

Of course nobody picks a team to support, or at least shouldn't, based on their success but being a football supporter is supposed to be something enjoyable. When you never have any success where is the enjoyment? it's not surprising really that people are losing interest.

The one thing we have always had is hope, maybe this will be the year if only we can get in a couple of decent signings etc. Under SISU we've even lost that and when you're supporting a team that hasn't had any success in decades and has no hope of any success in the immediate future its a surprise we've retained the fan base we have, albeit only going to away games.

spot on. You also all have wall to wall coverage of football on tv and in papers / internet etc, meaning younger fans are used to watching and hearing about successful teams day in and day out. The likes of people my age have 2 choices, support CCFC or dont support a team, however the younger generation can easily move from supporting their "local" team to a bigger club, and who could really blame them.

Whoever owns us when / if we ever come back to Coventry will have a huge job on their hands to get our levels of support back to where it was, never mind trying to increase it !

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Don't forget though we are all so apathetic. Coventry fans only come out for the big games because most of us are just glory hunters! Allegedly?

ccfcway

Mar 20, 2011
Don't forget though we are all so apathetic. Coventry fans only come out for the big games because most of us are just glory hunters! Allegedly?

sadly our most recent "big game" was in the semi final of the tin pot cup v Crewe, which we lost. We had more fans at that than i believe both teams took to the final this year.

Teams like Wigan have been to wembley something like 3 times in the past 12 months. Glory hunters we most certainly are not !

torchomatic

Feb 25, 2008
Warwick
Who knows? There's no guarantee of success is there? I suppose if you want to increase your chances it would be a good idea to support a more successful side.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

CraigCCFC

Feb 20, 2014
if i was in it for the glory i would never have supported coventry in the first place lol, i support them because they are my home club and i love them , but i hate what we the fans have to put up with , believe me if i was a man u , chelsea aresnal fan etc i guarantee the depression rates are lower of the average fan lol, seriously after a crap week at work , followed by a crap chat with the missus , you dont want crap football at the weekend to top it off lol

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
sadly our most recent "big game" was in the semi final of the tin pot cup v Crewe, which we lost. We had more fans at that than i believe both teams took to the final this year.

Teams like Wigan have been to wembley something like 3 times in the past 12 months. Glory hunters we most certainly are not !

I couldn't agree more. A few on here might though? That Crewe semi is a big issue for some.

ccfc92

Jul 7, 2012

with thousands of empty seats at wembley yesterday, so maybe the novelty has worn off for them? now that would be nice, to say it's okay we'll go next year lol :(

Lorksalordy

Sep 8, 2013
The merest hint of a big match and city fans would be out in force as JPT semi showed. The term "starved of success" was invented for us. There would also be a small army of self appointed gold blue Peter badge carrying super fans moaning about the queue for the toilets whilst wallowing in their own superiority due to attending the midweek away match at York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfc92

Jul 7, 2012
The merest hint of a big match and city fans would be out in force as JPT semi showed. The term "starved of success" was invented for us. There would also be a small army of self appointed gold blue Peter badge carrying super fans moaning about the queue for the toilets whilst wallowing in their own superiority due to attending the midweek away match at York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see both sides of that argument. But you could also argue there wouldn't be many man u or arsenal (or any top 6/7) fans if they weren't big clubs, put them towards the bottom of the premiership and see their attendances half. But they never will be down that end as the money difference is too great.

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
I can see both sides of that argument. But you could also argue there wouldn't be many man u or arsenal (or any top 6/7) fans if they weren't big clubs, put them towards the bottom of the premiership and see their attendances half. But they never will be down that end as the money difference is too great.

Thing is that every successful club invariably attracts bandwagoners, that's plain inevitable. However those who support the bigger clubs specifically because of their success can't really have the nerve to then complain about 9 consecutive top 4 finishes, as Arsenal 'fans' see fit to do now, because they haven't got the silverware. People supporting clubs because of geography or family are being heavily outnumbered by those who support teams because of how good the football is. This isn't being bitter about supporting a crap team like Coventry, it's a frustration that superficial support of a club is the norm in modern football.

oscillatewildly

Sep 18, 2013
Just recently we have seen leicester and now wolverhampton promoted , this weekend we watch sheffield united play an fa cup semi final with a realistic chance of making the final , and its all just getting too much now tbh .
This year marks 25 years since i sat with my dad for my first game against nottingham forrest in the old division 1 , we sat in the spion kop we drew 2-2 .
i have seen us finish 11th once in the premier league and 8th in the chamionship , a quarter final of the fa cup v sheffield united , Now call me cynical or depressing but these are the main highlights of the last 25 years , granted i was alive when we lifted the cup but i was 2 years old and knew nothing of it.
i have witnessed my club relegated twice and lose its home to relocate to another city .
How utterly depressing is it to support a club where your hope is false and you have no clear direction for the future , its so hard to keep the faith and fire burning for the club these days .
When are things ever EVER going to change
Welcome to the world of football supporting! As opposed to "glory hunting". The last time I checked, there was nothing to suggest you can't "shout", even when your team are not up there competing for honours, or even financially viable as a business.
It's a very contentious subject though, this shouting malarkey. I've raised it a couple of times on here and some people do get into a bit of a tizzy wizzy when confronted with the truth.
Still, keep that chin up and don't let some faceless bitch take your pride away from YOUR team.:D

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
Welcome to the world of football supporting! As opposed to "glory hunting". The last time I checked, there was nothing to suggest you can't "shout", even when your team are not up there competing for honours, or even financially viable as a business.
It's a very contentious subject though, this shouting malarkey. I've raised it a couple of times on here and some people do get into a bit of a tizzy wizzy when confronted with the truth.
Still, keep that chin up and don't let some faceless bitch take your pride away from YOUR team.:D

He isn't saying he has no pride in his club. What he is saying is that supporters of this club have had very little to celebrate over a very long time whereas every Tom, Dick and Harry supporting someone else has. It isn't quite like the Arsenal fan whining about only finishing in the top 4 for the last decade...

ccfc92

Jul 7, 2012
Thing is that every successful club invariably attracts bandwagoners, that's plain inevitable. However those who support the bigger clubs specifically because of their success can't really have the nerve to then complain about 9 consecutive top 4 finishes, as Arsenal 'fans' see fit to do now, because they haven't got the silverware. People supporting clubs because of geography or family are being heavily outnumbered by those who support teams because of how good the football is. This isn't being bitter about supporting a crap team like Coventry, it's a frustration that superficial support of a club is the norm in modern football.

completely agree. watching them on SSN after signing Ozil had to be the most cringiest thing I've ever seen. "these arsenal fans have been through a lot, and they deserve this signing. They had to wait a while, but what a signing" was the quote I think (wretching)

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Arsenal have nothing to complain about....but Man Utd fans on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ccfc92

Jul 7, 2012
Arsenal have nothing to complain about....but Man Utd fans on the other hand.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

what do they have to complain about?

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
completely agree. watching them on SSN after signing Ozil had to be the most cringiest thing I've ever seen. "these arsenal fans have been through a lot, and they deserve this signing. They had to wait a while, but what a signing" was the quote I think (wretching)

They did have to go through a lot. Their trains from Birmingham got delayed by hours, the poor souls...

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Think Stu was being facetious-least I hope he was.

Yep, some interesting phone ins on 5Live and TalkSport listening to the woe-is-me "we're only 7th and this side won the league last season..."

Adrian Durham's trying his hardest to get Moyes sacked, and Gough "Gigg's is a marvellous man, and I don't just mean his Footbal career but as a person" (yes, marvellous if your definition of a 'good' man is having a long term affair with his brothers wife....)
Gough actually said that last Thursday after Durham said Moyes was out of order for not bringing giggs on to equal champions league record appearances

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Aug 15, 2011
I don't even know why people look fondly on that Micky Adams season where we finished 8th. We were 12 points off the play offs and strung a few wins together at the end of the season when we were never even within a chance of getting into the top 6.

ccfcway

Mar 20, 2011
I don't even know why people look fondly on that Micky Adams season where we finished 8th. We were 12 points off the play offs and strung a few wins together at the end of the season when we were never even within a chance of getting into the top 6.

a measure of the "success" we have had in the past.

covcity4life

Apr 16, 2010
its fukin crazy.we got down 2 divisions and still cant get any success whatsoeverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

even the jpt we failed to make final

Users who are viewing this thread