Where will England finish in the World Cup? (1 Viewer)

Where will England finish their World Cup

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nick

Administrator
Random in a friendly as well. Do they have history or anything?

Sutty

Have I missed something here? Sterling's was a dreadful tackle - fortunately Valencia's foot wasn't planted or we'd be talking about him missing the world cup.

Otis

Yep. Think you have missed something Sutty.

Sterling deserved yellow at the very worst. I don't think it was even a yellow. Or perhaps even foul.

stupot07

I thought it was borderline, but wouldn't say the ref made a shocker. Unfortunately although there is only one set of rules, the threshold of what a foul, yellow or red card gets lower from league one to championship, to PL to Champions League to International football. It was a shocking challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Football's gone soft, that's what I think.

Sterling got the ball first and it was a genuine attempt to get the ball. it was not a malicious tackle at all.

Smalling's tackle was much much worse. There wasn't even a free kick given for that. He did dive in recklessly.

Otis

“I’m disappointed,” Hodgson said. “I thought it was a fierce challenge from young Raheem, not a foul challenge. He played the ball and accelerated into the ball. I’m disappointed with Antonio’s reaction, grabbing the player. "

Have to say, I agree.

Moving on, if Oxlade-Chamberlain proves to be ruled out, who would you bring in, if anyone?

Adam Johnson? No-one?

The way Chamberlain was playing last night had me believing he would have been a real threat in the competition. Real shame if he misses out now.

mark82

“I’m disappointed,” Hodgson said. “I thought it was a fierce challenge from young Raheem, not a foul challenge. He played the ball and accelerated into the ball. I’m disappointed with Antonio’s reaction, grabbing the player. "

Have to say, I agree.

Moving on, if Oxlade-Chamberlain proves to be ruled out, who would you bring in, if anyone?

Adam Johnson? No-one?

The way Chamberlain was playing last night had me believing he would have been a real threat in the competition. Real shame if he misses out now.

Who are the midfielders in the standby squad?

mark82

These are the standby squad choices:

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

I'd replace him with one of the young defenders. Anyone but Carrick or Cleverley. I'd even take Ruddy as a replacement over one of those 2.

Otis

Then I'd probably take a punt on Defoe or Carroll to give another option up front.

Carrick is too slow, Cleverely not international class and I think we have enough defenders.

Sutty

Football's gone soft, that's what I think.

Sterling got the ball first and it was a genuine attempt to get the ball. it was not a malicious tackle at all.

Smalling's tackle was much much worse. There wasn't even a free kick given for that. He did dive in recklessly.

'Got the ball' is a bit of a stretch - his calf brushed the top of the ball as he flew past. But getting the ball is irrelevant in the rules.

I would agree it wasn't malicious, but again that's irrelevant in the context of the rules. All the rules state is that a red card challenge is one that uses 'excessive force' and endangers the safety of an opponent. 'Excessive' is obviously a definition that's very much open to interpretation but for me it was a tackle that could easily have left Valencia with a bad injury. I think the referee made a reasonable decision. When Hodgson says it was a 'fierce' challenge I agree, but in my view that constitutes a red card.

I'm prepared to accept I'm in the minority on this one though.

mark82

Bold prediction. We will go through in this group with at least 7 points, top of the group. Italy and Uruguay are overrated. Italy drew with Luxembourg yesterday. Then it is a bit of a lottery but probably quarter finals again.

mark82

'Got the ball' is a bit of a stretch - his calf brushed the top of the ball as he flew past. But getting the ball is irrelevant in the rules.

I would agree it wasn't malicious, but again that's irrelevant in the context of the rules. All the rules state is that a red card challenge is one that uses 'excessive force' and endangers the safety of an opponent. 'Excessive' is obviously a definition that's very much open to interpretation but for me it was a tackle that could easily have left Valencia with a bad injury. I think the referee made a reasonable decision. When Hodgson says it was a 'fierce' challenge I agree, but in my view that constitutes a red card.

I'm prepared to accept I'm in the minority on this one though.

Got more of the ball than the player. Irrelevant anyway. Only a friendly so will still be available. Glad Hodgson is siding with the lad either way in public. Quiet word to calm down in private hopefully.

Covstu

it was a rash challenge but never a sending off, there was no real intent to hammer the player. Their chap clearly deserved to walk but it makde the refs life easier for both of them to walk.

Gutted if the ox is out completely, personally think if there is any doubt or he isnt 100% then send him home and take Flanagan. I think it is clear we dont fully trust anyone at right back so we need coevr in that position.

stupot07

I'd be tempted to bring carrick in. Neither wilshire not lampard look as though they can play the deep role and protect the back 4, failing that probably Stones as Jones can fill in right back and neither he or smalling impressed at centre half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Our defence is woeful aside from a couple of players.

Baines and Cahill?

That would be the couple I would be saying in that instance. I think Jagielka is okay, but Jones and especially Smalling just aren't good enough and Glen Johnson looks like his best days are well behind him too.

After a tight final against Germany we'll emerge as winners after extra time and penalties.

I also predict that we will be back at The Ricoh next season and runaway leaders in Division One. ;)

Otis

Err, could you please point me in the general direction of this hidden wood full of these wild exotic mushrooms.

Covstu

I do think everyone is reading too much into yesterdays result given the experimental team we put out. It certainly wont be like that against Italy

Otis

I do think everyone is reading too much into yesterdays result given the experimental team we put out. It certainly wont be like that against Italy

Indeed.

We will put in the 'better,' older players and then play much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread