Why aren't Cov there? (1 Viewer)

Philip Larkin hated Coventry - we are not a cultural city, more innovation and engineering ( and £ shops)

pusbccfc

bigfatronssba

<p>
Philip Larkin hated Coventry - we are not a cultural city, more innovation and engineering ( and £ shops)

Larkin said that Hull was Coventry on Sea.

He clearly held Hull in the same regard as his home town. He was a typical upper class intellectual.

Brighton Sky Blue

For all its criticism Coventry does have a history to be proud of. You can call it a shithole but in my mind it will always have something to offer.

Sick Boy

For all its criticism Coventry does have a history to be proud of. You can call it a shithole but in my mind it will always have something to offer.

I always wonder if the city would be one of the most beautiful in the country if the Germans hadn't flattened it.

bigfatronssba

<p>
I always wonder if the city would be one of the most beautiful in the country if the Germans hadn't flattened it.

Until the Germans and the council planning department got their hands on it Coventry was comparable with York.

Why are Leicester in there?

@richh87

The blitz destroyed the nice historical bits. You can see from looking at Spon Street by the skydome that there were some nice parts.

bigfatronssba

Surely a cultural award is more for what has city has done, rather than what it looks like?

In proportion to its size Coventry must have given the world more than any other UK city?

Covkid1968#

Why oh why do people who are from Cov slag it off....do they not realise that the more they say it the less pride people have in the City and the less people support the local football team because they feel less affinity with a "shithole". It's just embarrassing!!!!

Im proud to be from the City of Coventry.....end of

Brighton Sky Blue

Every city has its dodgy areas and Cov is no different. However, you visit the cathedrals, the transport museum and so on and you appreciate what a unique place it is compared to say Milton Keynes. My roots are important to me and if anything it is living so far away which has strengthened that.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why oh why do people who are from Cov slag it off....do they not realise that the more they say it the less pride people have in the City and the less people support the local football team because they feel less affinity with a "shithole". It's just embarrassing!!!!

Im proud to be from the City of Coventry.....end of

Agree 100%.

bigfatronssba

<p>&lt;p&gt;
Why oh why do people who are from Cov slag it off....do they not realise that the more they say it the less pride people have in the City and the less people support the local football team because they feel less affinity with a &amp;quot;shithole&amp;quot;. It's just embarrassing!!!!&lt;/p&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;p&gt;Im proud to be from the City of Coventry.....end of

Also agree, im proud to be from here.

Ironically the people who usually slag Coventry off are chavs, they themselves dont realise they are the main problem!

Sorry - I don't understand your comment? You will not find anyone that is more proud to come from Coventry, I am stating a fact our Great City was built on Innovation and Engineering and it continues with this through our 2 Universities, we are not a cultural city IMO - what this has to do with how I earn my living has no relevance what so ever...:facepalm:

You seem to make a nice living in it:facepalm:

Otis

I love Coventry!

Fantastically rich history and it does have some nice parts and is lovely round by the old cathedral and has two great museums and last week I was informed, that apart from London, Coventry has the most drama groups of any city in the UK.

We are excellent at the arts. You only have to look at Theatre Absolute, Triangle, Talking Birds for instance, all who have won awards for their work.

As for Leshtur? The only culture they have is, that that is found on a petri dish following healthy inspectors having scraped bacteria off the worktops of all the kebab shops over there for inspection.

torchomatic

Drugs and prostitution?

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Sorry - I don't understand your comment? You will not find anyone that is more proud to come from Coventry, I am stating a fact our Great City was built on Innovation and Engineering and it continues with this through our 2 Universities, we are not a cultural city IMO - what this has to do with how I earn my living has no relevance what so ever...:facepalm:
And poound shops? No more pound shops in Coventry than any other city thats what I was getting at sorry if you think that was an insult but proud of our city:p

Users who are viewing this thread