Wigan / Wolves interested in Ben Stevenson (1 Viewer)

ceetee

I would like to think that a team of quality players would always triumph, but teams in this league have beaten us with out any quality players at all.
You only get points for results, you don't get points for style....etc.

fernandopartridge

I would like to think that a team of quality players would always triumph, but teams in this league have beaten us with out any quality players at all.
You only get points for results, you don't get points for style....etc.

Not sure if that is strictly true. Also, we've got to think about next season.

ceetee

Not sure if that is strictly true. Also, we've got to think about next season.
It would be nice to think long term and build a side for future seasons. What team would we have now if we could have held onto those Academy Grads who have moved on?
But we can't afford to build long term as we need the occasional sale to rebuild the financial state of the club, and no SISU aren't going to invest so there's no point going on about it (That's a general point by the way, not directed at anyone in particular)
So unfortunately we have to create a team for this season and worry about next season in the Summer. OK It will be nice to hang onto players who will serve us in this season but I can't see Stevenson improving the side this season if we continue to play as we are currently playing.

Captain Dart

Wolves rumour now.

Adge

So a top of the Championship team are trying to sign a player who couldn’t do it in L1 last season and L2 this? Can’t see it myself.

SlowerThanPlatt

So a top of the Championship team are trying to sign a player who couldn’t do it in L1 last season and L2 this? Can’t see it myself.

If you actually decide to read the article, it suggests they will be signing him to play in the U23 team at first as they think he has potential.

‘Couldn’t do it in L1’..didn’t Brentford a Championship team want to sign him last January and make three bids which would suggest otherwise?

shmmeee

Adge at an U23s game:

giphy.gif

Adge

If you actually decide to read the article, it suggests they will be signing him to play in the U23 team at first as they think he has potential.

‘Couldn’t do it in L1’..didn’t Brentford a Championship team want to sign him last January and make three bids which would suggest otherwise?
Apparently they did-but what has them making a bid got to do with him being able to do it in the Championship? You said “Brentford made 3 bids in January which would suggest otherwise? So because they may want to take a gamble he is good enough is he?:emoji_thinking:

SlowerThanPlatt

Apparently they did-but what has them making a bid got to do with him being able to do it in the Championship? You said “Brentford made 3 bids in January which would suggest otherwise? So because they may want to take a gamble he is good enough is he?:emoji_thinking:

No Adge. Yet again I will explain things simply to you in hope you understand

You said he ‘couldn’t do it in L1’. Why would Brentford, a Championship team with realistic ambitions of reaching the Premier League, want to sign a player who wasn’t good enough for L1? Are you saying you know more than Brentford’s scouts (and remember they’ve made millions signing players from lower leagues so think they have a decent idea of what they’re looking for) and manager who obviously watched him play last season?

Anyway, how did your last ‘he isn’t good enough for the Championship’ prediction go? He’s the same player who is now rated at £20m. Maybe Brentford should hire you as a scout after all

Last edited:

ceetee

When Norwich bought Maddison they said he was one for the future (Norwich chairman as reported on BBC Transfer Day Webpage)

There's a big difference between a promising lower league player and an established Prem. player. They don't all make it but most who do need a period of transition. I think Maddison has moved on quite quickly ( and I know Norwich are in the Championship).

Adge

No Adge. Yet again I will explain things simply to you in hope you understand

You said he ‘couldn’t do it in L1’. Why would Brentford, a Championship team with realistic ambitions of reaching the Premier League, want to sign a player who wasn’t good enough for L1? Are you saying you know more than Brentford’s scouts (and remember they’ve made millions signing players from lower leagues so think they have a decent idea of what they’re looking for) and manager who obviously watched him play last season?

Anyway, how did your last ‘he isn’t good enough for the Championship’ prediction go? He’s the same player who is now rated at £20m. Maybe Brentford should hire you as a scout after all
Well good for him! Lets see with better coaching and players around him if he can make the step up.
Lets stop pretending though that the academy is what dreams are made of when it comes to players.
For every Wilson and (possibly) Maddison there are 50 Conor Thomas’, Ryan Haynes, Lee Burges and Jordan Clark’s.

SlowerThanPlatt

Well good for him! Lets see with better coaching and players around him if he can make the step up.
Lets stop pretending though that the academy is what dreams are made of when it comes to players.
For every Wilson and (possibly) Maddison there are 50 Conor Thomas’, Ryan Haynes, Lee Burges and Jordan Clark’s.

Again, you don’t address any of the points and just say ‘there’s more players who don’t make the grade than ones who do’ which is the same for every club. In fact, the ones you listed as ‘bad examples’ all make a living playing professional football.

You don’t have to be a genius to state academies will produce more players at League 1 or League 2 level than Premier League level considering the chances are 0.012% of a player making it in the Premier League

Hobo

It has always been that way more players fail than succeed, but the ones that do succeed come through the same process as the ones that fail. Players develop at different rates and get opportunities at different times.

PVA

Pretty poor examples. Thomas, Haynes, Burge and Clarke have played nearly 500 league games between them.

Adge

Again we are going over old ground.
The majority of these (academy) players who have been the mainstay of our team over the last few years are one of the main contributory factors (aswell as the owners) why we now find ourselves in the bottom tier as they were not good enough.
That is FACT. Go and have a look at the L2 table if you don’t believe me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Otis

No, it's not a place, it's just in Wales.

Possibly a small pond and without big fish.

SlowerThanPlatt

Again we are going over old ground.
The majority of these (academy) players who have been the mainstay of our team over the last few years are one of the main contributory factors (aswell as the owners) why we now find ourselves in the bottom tier as they were not good enough.
That is FACT. Go and have a look at the L2 table if you don’t believe me. :emoji_thumbsup:

The club has been in a downward spiral since relegation from the Premier League. We have always struggled regardless of having young players in the team or not

Out of interest, who do you blame for relegation from the Championship? Considering that team was full of experienced players like Murphy, Keogh, Cranie, Bell, Jutkiewiscz, McSheffrey, Platt, Clingan, McDonald, Baker and Wood...do you also hold them responsible for the clubs demise because I’ve never seen you post about them or any of the other senior players we’ve had in recent years it’s always targeted to the younger players.

What I’ve also noticed is that you will criticise the clubs young players but not criticise the players we had on loan last season from other clubs like Lewis Page, Dan Agyei, Jamie Sterry, Andre Wright, Farrend Rawson and Callum Reilly which makes it very clear where your agenda lies

Anyway, enjoy the game

Jayno

The club has been in a downward spiral since relegation from the Premier League. We have always struggled regardless of having young players in the team or not

Out of interest, who do you blame for relegation from the Championship? Considering that team was full of experienced players like Murphy, Keogh, Cranie, Bell, Jutkiewiscz, McSheffrey, Platt, Clingan, McDonald, Baker and Wood...do you also hold them responsible for the clubs demise because I’ve never seen you post about them or any of the other senior players we’ve had in recent years it’s always targeted to the younger players.

What I’ve also noticed is that you will criticise the clubs young players but not criticise the players we had on loan last season from other clubs like Lewis Page, Dan Agyei, Jamie Sterry, Andre Wright, Farrend Rawson and Callum Reilly which makes it very clear where your agenda lies

Anyway, enjoy the game
Great response to the comments from adge ...sorry Stevie Wonder....no idea

Adge

Anyway, enjoy the game
No agenda pal, yes you’re right, the above players had a part too play in it aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread