Wigan (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If you were a Wigan fan, would you rather see your reserves play in the cup final, knowing your likely to lose anyway as Man C will want a trophy this season, meaning your better players can be rested for the survival games, or would you want a full strength team put out with a chance (albeit small chance) of winning a trophy, but risking your premiership status?

I'd rather see the reserves play City!

Look at Birmingham when they reached the CapitalmOne cup final; went all out in that game, won, but ended up with relegation, probably due to fatigue over the season

jon92

Man city only winning by a goal margin lately no reason why Wigan couldn't win it just playing how they do this is the type of game they would win

I'd play 5 of my best and 6 reserves, pretty much go half and half.

Then seeing as I earn thousands of pounds a week , I'd found out where the Man City team hotel is and chuck around £1000 to a load of local teenage yobs and tell them to go and get smashed outside City hotel and dance the night away .

stupot07

They have to go for the FA CUP win....as a player would you rather reminisce about an FA cup win with your winners medal or avoiding relegation?

LastGarrison

They should be up for all games regardless. They're professionals for fucks sake.

As an aside Laddies returning all losing first goalscorer and score cast bets if Man City win in 90 minutes. Nice safety net and gives a bit more interest in the game for the neutral.

I'd rather play the reserves for the cup. To be fair to Wigan, they have almost no chance of winning the final. The only weak link in the City team will be Pantillimon, but he wants to impress in his last game for the club. So if Wigan have very little chance of cup glory, why would they put their PL future on the line? They have 2 very winable games left. If they have their 1st team they can win both, so i would rather play the reserves team for the cup final. It will be a great day out for the Wigan fans, with more or less the same result

ccfctommy

I think they are in europe anyway as City are in the CL

Agree with LastGarrison, play the first team for all games.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Its got to be the FA Cup....

...as a player, its what their whole career is built towards.....actually winning something ffs.....

...and how any "fan" could even consider or suggest playing a weakened side in a cup final is clearly either mentally ill, or a product of the sky generation of football & has swallowed all this bullshit about games being worth £50m etc.....

...the fans don't win the money do they? You don't see wigan put a big cheque in an open top bus & drive it around the town every year they avoid relegation.....jeez...I despair sometimes...I really do...;)

Sky Blues

This is a no brainer, surely? It has to be the FA Cup, the oldest surviving football cup competition in the world. The Premier League *title* may bring more glory these days and the Premier League competition more money, but ultimately the game is about winning trophies and this is a big one. Wigan have waited 81 years to lift a major piece of silverware and had never been past the quarter finals of this competition before this year. When are they going to get to the final again? They'll be luck if their youngest player is still playing league football by the time they do.

It's a cup game, anything can happen and Wigan have shown themselves capable of upsetting the big teams before. If they are massive underdogs, so much the better - there will be less pressure. Who outside of Cov really believed the Sky Blues would beat that strong Tottenham side in '87? And we were better then, relatively, than Wigan are now. Who gave Wimbledon a serious chance against the champions Liverpool the following year, or thought second division Sunderland would beat Don Revie's cup-holding Leeds side in 1973?

If Wigan are good enough for the Premier League they'll prove it over 38 matches. If not, they've got a better chance of promotion next season than returning to Wembley again for an FA Cup final anytime soon. Don't be mammon-lusting chumps Wigan, go all out for glory.

Having said all that, I don't care who wins. :)

Covstu

lets face it, if you were any of those players in the Wigan camp and you were told you were being dropped for a kid so we can concentrate on the league, how pissed off would you be!!! They have played a full strength team throughout the tournament and done wonderful to get to the final knowing fully that they are relegation favourites so why would they change now!

kg82

They deserved that yesterday. City weren't really in the game, that I can remember anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread