wigan's point of view. Boss disappointed to start the season with defeat at the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

sylus

i personally like how he says they dominated.

• “Poor goals to concede” – Caldwell.
  • Manager reserves special praise for Latics support as over 2,000 make the trip to Coventry.
  • Potential changes for Bury Capital One Cup clash on the agenda.
Gary Caldwell admitted his disappointment as two poor goals conceded resulted in his side losing on the first day of the 2015/16 Sky Bet League One campaign.

Adam Armstrong scored twice for Coventry City as Tony Mowbray’s side ran out 2-0 winners at the Ricoh Arena and Caldwell felt his side failed to cope with the hosts’ counter-attacking style.

“It was a big disappointment,” Caldwell said. “We caused ourselves our own problems, dominated the game but gave away too many opportunities on the counter-attack and that’s something we’re going to have to eradicate quickly.

“Coventry are a team who want to play football but today they played counter-attack against us and we have to learn how to deal with that.

“They were just poor goals to concede as we had possession of the football and gave it away in bad areas and that’s what they wanted, Armstrong punished us twice with his speed on the counter.”

Caldwell is now looking for his side to bounce back against Bury in the Capital One Cup first round on Tuesday evening at the DW Stadium as Latics look to register their first victory of the campaign, with changes expected.

“We have to learn, and we have to learn quickly, that we can’t give possession away like that when we’re so open,” he added.

“We just go again now, it’s a long season and that was a disappointment losing the first game but there’s a long way to go.

“We’ve got some good players who will be hurting but we go again and learn from the experience.

“Craig Morgan did great; Kevin McNaughton and Sean Murray came on and were excellent, Sean especially considering he’s only been in a few days.

“Perks always has a go and kept battling to the end and, whilst this hurts, we’ve got a good group and we’ll come back stronger.

“There will be changes on Tuesday because the loan players can’t play, I’ll look it, see what else we can do but we’ll go over today’s game tomorrow and then think on Tuesday.”

Caldwell praised the fantastic Wigan Athletic support and said his side are going to need the fans as the season goes on.

“It was fantastic support,” Caldwell explained. “We’re going to need them, it’s a long season and I’m sure they’ll stick by us because they can see what we’re trying to do.”

:jerkit:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I stopped reading when he said "we dominated the game".

They spent the majority of their 'attacks' to potshots from outside the area.

Beaten comfortably by a better organised side.

sylus

They dominated possession but did nothing with it.

i don't agree they had a good bit of possession,but they did not dominate,we scored twice,and maybe on another day maybe could of had a couple more. dominate they did not!

hill83

i don't agree they had a good bit of possession,but they did not dominate,we scored twice,and maybe on another day maybe could of had a couple more. dominate they did not!

They didn't dominate the game, we were far more dangerous. Just the possession.

Ashdown

I thought they played a nice brand of football but on the day we were better than them at it

stupot07

They didn't dominate the game, we were far more dangerous. Just the possession.

Yep. They had 58% possession, More shots and more corners, but bar one decent chance they were speculative efforts, where as we created 4-5 very good chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

lifeskyblue

They may have had more possession but rarely threatened burge...we had a lot less, scored two, hit post twice, could have scored others. Possession is fine but if you never or almost never get in the box you aren't going to win many football games. I felt we often let them have the ball and forced them down blind alleys. We looked more likely to score even though we had a lot less possession. TM got it spot on yesterday with the tactics and Wigan just didn't/couldn't adapt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

Huckerby

They may have had more possession but rarely threatened burge...we had a lot less, scored two, hit post twice, could have scored others. Possession is fine but if you never or almost never get in the box you aren't going to win many football games. I felt we often let them have the ball and forced them down blind alleys. We looked more likely to score even though we had a lot less possession. TM got it spot on yesterday with the tactics and Wigan just didn't/couldn't adapt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh I watched the highlights and forgot we hit the post twice. Think Reda had a good chance from a header that went over too, and stokes had a dig that went just wide. Could've been 5 on another day lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Deluded bitter man. Hope they do shit this year because of the cocky chairman giving it we're going to smash this league.

speedie87

I think manages are obsessed with possession these days passing the ball around your defense is not dominating the game and as he points out himself the fact they lost the ball doing it cost them 2 goals.

Dominating the game to me is being able to execute your game play better

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

We could still be playing now & they still wouldn't have scored.

100% think their chairman has under estimated this division and that's gone onto the manager, players & fans.

stupot07

We could still be playing now & they still wouldn't have scored.

100% think their chairman has under estimated this division and that's gone onto the manager, players & fans.

Yep, they have the players just needed an experienced manager to get the game plan right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yep. They had 58% possession, More shots and more corners, but bar one decent chance they were speculative efforts, where as we created 4-5 very good chances.

About half of there shots must have came after it went 2-0 also

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think manages are obsessed with possession these days passing the ball around your defense is not dominating the game and as he points out himself the fact they lost the ball doing it cost them 2 goals.

Dominating the game to me is being able to execute your game play better
Agreed, theres an assumption that passing football and keeping possesion = good, pretty football. Personally I couldn't care less now if we play passing football, what I really want to see is ATTACKING football, scoring goals and creating chances.

Terry Gibson's perm

All goals are poor to concede all he needed to say was that his players gave 110% and that would have put a cap on it.

As a few have said on here modern managers are obsessed with possession they probably had a lot yesterday but most was with the three big lumps at the back, when you look at the table there is a column for points and one for goals they haven't added one for possession yet although I am sure people like Martinez at Everton would love them to.

Their chairman has added pressure to them with the 100 points talk to me at this stage they looked like most other league one teams nothing special.

They may go up as they have the finance to push it later on but we will have to wait and see.

D

Deleted member 4439

Folks are picking up on a single phase that the guy uttered in an interview situation, when in fact what he had to say was very balanced, including a respect for the opposition. I think this is even more clear in from the video of the interview. Sorry, but I think many of the above are strawman comments, and unnecessary ones at that.

ccfc92

I'm sorry, but this is one game (and I'm thankful it was for us) that the stats DO lie.

They may have had more possession etc, but we could have easily won 4/5-0 with our chances that hit the post etc.

If I was a Wigan fan, I'd be very concerned about yesterday. Coventry played them off the park, and made them look very average, and I have to say, it's nice to be the team who looked better and won.

At no point did I feel that we would concede (which is unusual for CCFC), and the only negative was we didn't score more. The whole team played excellently and worked for each other.

This guy managing Wigan, giving this interview, has a lot to work on with his own team, and he should have just come out and said: "Coventry were the better side today" with his hands up.

As for 2,000 fans, meh. We'll see how many they take away regularly. From what I've heard, not many.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

Agreed, theres an assumption that passing football and keeping possesion = good, pretty football. Personally I couldn't care less now if we play passing football, what I really want to see is ATTACKING football, scoring goals and creating chances.
Couldn't agree more. What most fans want to see is fast flowing, slick football. Lots of shots, saves, chances, near misses and goals, along with knowing your team has given their all. I can't see any virtue in 40 completed passes that leaves you back in the place you first started from and almost always results in lost possession without a chance being created. That drove me to distraction last season and was one of the reasons for such a poor atmosphere. How can fans get excited at a passing game that goes no where? I am not a fan of hoof ball either but there has to be a purpose in having the ball and wanting to do something with it.
Wigan were out thought, out fought and out played yesterday. We were the best team by a mile. Shame Caldwell couldn't just admit that.

D

Deleted member 4439

Ok hands up, I've just listened to the interview again, since yesterday, and yes I agree he was a bit parsimonious. And of course I agree that possession football in your half is something we don't want to suffer again any time soon.

P.S. Darren Farley needs to do a 1 on 1 between Brendan Rodgers and Garry Caudwell - it's in that sideways look to camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

mark82

We were by far the better team regardless of what any stats say. That's the most comfortable I've felt with us in a leading position in a long time.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Didn't think the first goal could be described as "poor to concede"..

Agree at this level it was a solid break, a superb through ball & finish that would grace the premier league.

The 2nd from a defensive point of view was very poor right from the keepers clearance to the near post defender leaving the cross for Armstrong to expertly tap in (I thought he hadn't got enough it at first).

Osullivan18

They were messing about with the ball in their half and O'Brien stole it, very poor goal to concede. They thought they would out class us, play it patient and wait but it was just poor. In terms of a counter attacking performance, we played it very well.

SkyBlueSid

Saturday was a classic example of how meaningless many of those Opta stats are. You can have all the possession you like if you do nothing with it. You may have more shots on target but that's no use if they don't trouble your keeper. Wigan had plenty of the ball but did nothing with it. Late in the game we seemed happy to let them knock it around as they posed no threat and we were happy with what we had. At the end of the day only one statistic counts for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread