William Storey (1 Viewer)

Paul Anthony

Going to be interesting to follow this story and see what might have been for ccfc.

If I were a Reading fan, I'd be highly concerned that the two options seem to be going bust or selling to Storey. I'm afraid the destination is likely to be the same either way, it's just going to be a messier, more comically tragic way of getting there.

Really hope for their sake something else comes to the fore.

slowpoke

I would think administration and basically starting again is the best way forward perhaps a fan based takeover. Will mean points deduction and might mean relegation but should mean a future.

fernandopartridge

I would think administration and basically starting again is the best way forward perhaps a fan based takeover. Will mean points deduction and might mean relegation but should mean a future.
It literally doesn't mean a future, does it? The club that was Reading FC ceases to be

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

There’s a suggestion on the Reading forum that Storey is a front for Redbird capital, who apparently tried to buy a stake in Liverpool. Their investors seem to be American sports and Hollywood stars. Sounds like they’re in danger of getting their Ranson/SISU.

SBT

There’s a suggestion on the Reading forum that Storey is a front for Redbird capital, who apparently tried to buy a stake in Liverpool. Their investors seem to be American sports and Hollywood stars. Sounds like they’re in danger of getting their Ranson/SISU.
Redbird are quite a well known firm with plenty of assets - they have nothing to gain by using an oddball like Storey as a front.

slowpoke

Seems to be a theme with American sports & Hollywood stars getting involved with football and other sports. Recipe for tears imo.

skybluetony176

Redbird are quite a well known firm with plenty of assets - they have nothing to gain by using an oddball like Storey as a front.
I initially thought that but then I remembered the Ranson/SISU situation and immediately thought that anything is possible. Especially when dealing with companies that are made from and used to doing high risk fast return business dealings.

WestEndAgro

Listened to William Storey being interview on the radio.
He did mention us briefly, but basically it was a complete rehash of his attempt to buy us, minus the signings he'd lined up.
He's a chancer , I'd be staggered if this goes through.

Tomh111

They are a tabloid broadcaster, it's all about engagement

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Exactly this, I don't know why people are shocked that Talksport set themselves up to be inflammatory - they want you to phone up angry because it pays their bills and they might get a social media clip out of it.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Covkid1968#

Never trusted a man with a beard since I caught father christmas shagging my dog
Not a popular opinion but the Blokes a wrongun… only a matter of time before Coogan is portraying him. Looking at the dog in this picture..it’s Clearly a fake hand !!

Attachments

• IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 35

stay_up_skyblues

Not a popular opinion but the Blokes a wrongun… only a matter of time before Coogan is portraying him. Looking at the dog in this picture..it’s Clearly a fake hand !!

Apparently he’s being lined up to fight Tyson Fury in Saudi on Christmas Eve. Open secret that once that big money fight has taken place it’s all coming out in 2024. Kringle expected to use the bulk of his purse for legal fees.

alexccfc99

Can we get it copy and pasted please? 😁
It's quite a long read so I will sift through the important bits

This followed Storey’s failed attempts to buy Sunderland in 2020 and Coventry City in 2022. Sunderland, like Reading, were playing in League One at the time and were seeking a sale. Coventry were being sold by SISU Capital, their hugely unpopular owners.

All three bids failed to progress.

“He’s never been close to buying anything,” explains a source who worked for Sunderland when Storey was trying to buy the club. Like others who spoke to The Athletic for this article, they will remain anonymous to protect relationships. “There was nothing (at Sunderland). There was no deal. The guy was a fantasist, a Walter Mitty.

“This is his MO: he sends an email to a football club saying he wants to buy that club. Then he launches this social media blitz. ‘Yeah, I’m buying the club, I’ve got a deal, can’t say anything more than that’.”

“He walks around with a letter from David Sullivan,” says a source who has sat around the negotiating table with Storey. “The letter from David and the Haas deal are William’s two tools of the trade.”

Then he moved on to Coventry.

The BBC reported that Storey agreed heads of terms — an agreement in principle, subject to a formal contract being signed — over a £30million takeover of the Midlands club, one of the founding members of the Premier League. Bonus payments would be paid to then-owner SISU Capital if Coventry were promoted back to the English top flight.

The report noted that Storey was being backed by Origin Sports Group, a sports investment business. Origin Sports, however, was only instructed by Storey to advise on the deal, according to a person who worked on it at the time, so carried out the financial due diligence for him and attempted to help structure a sale, but did not back Storey as an investor.

However, it was Doug King who entered a period of exclusivity with Coventry in November 2022 prompting Storey to threaten legal action against the club as he believed SISU had breached his exclusivity window.

A SISU statement at the time said: “The allegation of a breach of exclusivity is untrue and unhelpful.”

No legal action has yet materialised.

Asked why Storey became involved, someone close to the talks believes it was to run a “self-promotion campaign”.

“Any successful businessman would not want to be linked to multiple failed transactions, so that bit was puzzling,” they added. “The other side is that he is fame-hungry and wants people to know who he is, and he succeeded in that.”

It might all have been so different for him, though. Had the infrastructure been in place when he sponsored the Haas F1 team, then perhaps Storey would now be a credible and key player in the sporting world — but after his flirtations with Sunderland, Coventry and Reading, it is unlikely he will be taken seriously again.

So, what is his motivation now?

“I think he enjoyed the taste of it and wants to get back there,” speculates the person involved in the Haas F1 discussions. “And in the age we live in now, he is clickbait gold. The social media age has supported someone like William Storey.

“He goes on the radio and they know it will drive engagement, even if it’s just angry people shouting at him.”

PUSB-We_are_going_up

It's quite a long read so I will sift through the important bits

This followed Storey’s failed attempts to buy Sunderland in 2020 and Coventry City in 2022. Sunderland, like Reading, were playing in League One at the time and were seeking a sale. Coventry were being sold by SISU Capital, their hugely unpopular owners.

All three bids failed to progress.

“He’s never been close to buying anything,” explains a source who worked for Sunderland when Storey was trying to buy the club. Like others who spoke to The Athletic for this article, they will remain anonymous to protect relationships. “There was nothing (at Sunderland). There was no deal. The guy was a fantasist, a Walter Mitty.

“This is his MO: he sends an email to a football club saying he wants to buy that club. Then he launches this social media blitz. ‘Yeah, I’m buying the club, I’ve got a deal, can’t say anything more than that’.”

“He walks around with a letter from David Sullivan,” says a source who has sat around the negotiating table with Storey. “The letter from David and the Haas deal are William’s two tools of the trade.”

Then he moved on to Coventry.

The BBC reported that Storey agreed heads of terms — an agreement in principle, subject to a formal contract being signed — over a £30million takeover of the Midlands club, one of the founding members of the Premier League. Bonus payments would be paid to then-owner SISU Capital if Coventry were promoted back to the English top flight.

The report noted that Storey was being backed by Origin Sports Group, a sports investment business. Origin Sports, however, was only instructed by Storey to advise on the deal, according to a person who worked on it at the time, so carried out the financial due diligence for him and attempted to help structure a sale, but did not back Storey as an investor.

However, it was Doug King who entered a period of exclusivity with Coventry in November 2022 prompting Storey to threaten legal action against the club as he believed SISU had breached his exclusivity window.

A SISU statement at the time said: “The allegation of a breach of exclusivity is untrue and unhelpful.”

No legal action has yet materialised.

Asked why Storey became involved, someone close to the talks believes it was to run a “self-promotion campaign”.

“Any successful businessman would not want to be linked to multiple failed transactions, so that bit was puzzling,” they added. “The other side is that he is fame-hungry and wants people to know who he is, and he succeeded in that.”

It might all have been so different for him, though. Had the infrastructure been in place when he sponsored the Haas F1 team, then perhaps Storey would now be a credible and key player in the sporting world — but after his flirtations with Sunderland, Coventry and Reading, it is unlikely he will be taken seriously again.

So, what is his motivation now?

“I think he enjoyed the taste of it and wants to get back there,” speculates the person involved in the Haas F1 discussions. “And in the age we live in now, he is clickbait gold. The social media age has supported someone like William Storey.

“He goes on the radio and they know it will drive engagement, even if it’s just angry people shouting at him.”
Legend

Alkhen

Bonus payments would be paid to then-owner SISU Capital if Coventry were promoted back to the English top flight

I wonder if Doug's deal is structured the same 🤔 would be a shame if SISU profit from any future success

Users who are viewing this thread