World Cup Squad (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Looks as if Ashley Cole has been left out, still think he can do a job!

Otis

Looks as if Ashley Cole has been left out, still think he can do a job!

Think the climate over there may well have influenced the decision to be honest, what with his age etc. Plus he hasn't been getting much game time has he.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Still do a job eh? Wonder if Cheryl thinks that? :D

Terry Gibson's perm

He should have been well rested then they always moan they have played too many games. Get ready for the same old rubbish planning for the future etc and need to take Phil Jones as he is versatile which is just a different way of saying not very good in any position.

Covstu

Cole has retired now since he has been left out of the squad. Cracking player in my opinion but we need to move on.

SkyBlue_Bear83

england-squad-preview.ashx

Pretty pleased with the selection, few debatable ones

I'd have taken Stones ahead of Smalling and then left out Lampard in favour of a natural back up at RB.B ut I can see why Hodgson has gone for Smalling. With Smalling able to play RB and CB it means he can take one less defender and free up a space for Lampard, it's obvious he wanted Lampard for the experience he brings.

Milner isn't really good enough but who else is there? ( A Johnson, Redmond? Can't think of many others)

And lastly Lambert, isn't going to start and unlikely to make much of an impact and isn't going to be playing for us in 2/3 years time. Would it have been worth bringing someone like Connor Wickham who realistically could be leading the line for us at the 2018 world cup for the experience?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Ben Foster, Fraser Forster
Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling
Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Jack Wilshire
Strikers: Rickie Lambert, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck
Standby: John Ruddy, Jon Flanagan, John Stones, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Jermaine Defoe, Andy Carrol

stupot07

england-squad-preview.ashx

Pretty pleased with the selection, few debatable ones

I'd have taken Stones ahead of Smalling and then left out Lampard in favour of a natural back up at RB.B ut I can see why Hodgson has gone for Smalling. With Smalling able to play RB and CB it means he can take one less defender and free up a space for Lampard, it's obvious he wanted Lampard for the experience he brings.

Milner isn't really good enough but who else is there? ( A Johnson, Redmond? Can't think of many others)

And lastly Lambert, isn't going to start and unlikely to make much of an impact and isn't going to be playing for us in 2/3 years time. Would it have been worth bringing someone like Connor Wickham who realistically could be leading the line for us at the 2018 world cup for the experience?

Yep, for me Wilshire is the contentious one as he's only played 27 mins in the last 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

Not really much to complain about there. Did anyone watch the press conference? What a waste of time, what's the point of asking things like 'do you think England can win'? What answer are they expecting?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yep, for me Wilshire is the contentious one as he's only played 27 mins in the last 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Agreed I don't see him playing a massive part in Brazil, from the 5 central mids (Gerrard, Henderson, Barkley, Lampard, Wilshere) I'd have Wilshere as 4/5th choice from that list.
I'd have still taken him ahead of Carrick and Cleverly though

pusbccfc

So Jones and Jag who may have had injuries and a pretty average Smalling is ahead of Shawcross who has had another superb season.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would have taken a squad of 22 and left an empty space before taking Cleverly if he was at a team like West Brom he wouldn't get a sniff of a place.

Marty

Would have taken Carroll, watched him a few weeks ago against Spurs, probably the best player on the pitch, won every header, strong on the ball, just made things happen. Smalling is woeful, Wilshere is a liability, there's no need to be taking 3 keepers.

I think we should play similar to Liverpool, would pick Lambert ahead of Rooney with Sturridge & Sterling playing of him.

Pretty average squad with no potential match winners amongst them. Would have taken Adam Johnson who's had a superb season at Sunderland.

Terry Gibson's perm

Would have taken Carroll, watched him a few weeks ago against Spurs, probably the best player on the pitch, won every header, strong on the ball, just made things happen. Smalling is woeful, Wilshere is a liability, there's no need to be taking 3 keepers.

I think we should play similar to Liverpool, would pick Lambert ahead of Rooney with Sturridge & Sterling playing of him.

Carroll would be a good option and would win most things in the air but I think the continental referee's would think that every time he jumped it was a foul and give a free kick against him.

stupot07

Carroll hasn't played enough or scored enough to warrant a place in the squad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread