Worst Team - Wingers (1 Viewer)

Coventry City's worst ever line-up is coming along nicely. Here is what we have so far as we reach the half way point

GK - Rafaelle Nuzzo
RB - David McNamee
LB - Stephen O'Halloran
CB - Colin Hendry
CB Reece Brown

Now the defence is over and done with, let's move onto the midfield, and we're starting off with the wingers/wide midfielders, as i'm going for a 4-4-2 formation. Who do you think should join the list of City failures and why? Jot your answer down in the comments and i'll pick out the dreadful duo this Thursday on Sports Lounge with Liam Cook, live on 98.6 Hillz FM from 10am

Last edited:

rupert_bear

Leigh Jenkinson by a country mile. What ever possessed Bobby Gould to fork out over £300k a big fee in those days, on him is mind boggling.

eastwoodsdustman

Dougie McGuire - Signed by Sillet. Came on against Arsenal in the last few minutes, never touched the ball and never played for the first team again.

WestEndAgro

McCindoe or however you spell it, but I think you all know the Gentleman concerned?

rupert_bear

Roger Van Goole runs Jenkinson close we paid a quarter of a million for him which might have been a record fee in those days, signed in a blaze of glory, absolute garbage.

torchomatic

David smith

fernandopartridge

Quite difficult really, we've had a lot of midfielders who have played on the right hand side of midfield rather than as wingers as such

Sean Flynn
Leigh Jenkinson

Grendel

Peter Barnes.

Rodders1

Not sure if he's the worst but I remember John Williams "the flying postman" attempting to cross a ball from the byline but it actually hit a fan straight in front of him. Very funny.

usskyblue

I'd go with Keith O'Neill and Peter Barnes (who was as spent by the time we got him).

Last edited:

ptr

Got to be Mcindoe. Worst I've seen. No pace no strength no passion no skill no nothing. Was a fantastic businessman though

Haigha

I'd go with Keith O'Neill and Peter Barnes (who was as spent by the time we got him).

I don't normally disagree with other posters on this sort of thread, but I can't agree with Peter Barnes being one of the two worst wingers to have played for us, or that he was spent by the time he played here. Barnes was 27ish when he came to Coventry, when he left it was for Manchester United and he played at a reasonably good level for 4 years after he left us. I seem to recall that Keith O'Neill was found to be seriously ill during his time with us too.

WestEndAgro

Keith O'Neill winger? Don't understand why David Smith is getting a mention, I thought he was decent.

usskyblue

I don't normally disagree with other posters on this sort of thread, but I can't agree with Peter Barnes being one of the two worst wingers to have played for us, or that he was spent by the time he played here. Barnes was 27ish when he came to Coventry, when he left it was for Manchester United and he played at a reasonably good level for 4 years after he left us. I seem to recall that Keith O'Neill was found to be seriously ill during his time with us too.

Without doubt, Peter Barnes had already played his best football for Man City, West Brom and Leeds before joining us.

Two years after his last cap for England he joined us, and proceeded to make 18 underwhelming appearances.

He then joined Man Utd, and played only 20 games. He went on to play for 23 further teams, never making more than 11 appearances for any one of them. Played his best football in his first 10 years then basically rode his career on the back of it....every team loaning him or selling him on.

ONeill played a dozen or so games and was woeful. While with us he diagnosed with a degenerative bone condition and retired. Whether it had an influence on his 'form' I don't know, however he must have passed medicals and fitness tests in order to play.

rupert_bear

Before Peter Barnes left Man City I went thanks to free ticket to Man United v Man City when Barnes was City's main man. He had a bit of a speech stutter apparently and I remember the whole Stretford End as one mimicking his stamma just as the game was about to kick off, felt for him. But he was crap during his time here.

torchomatic

I remember Barnes scoring straight from a corner at HR. Didn't do much else though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Moff

Endorisng what usskyblue and Skyblueabo have said, Sam Shilton was utter crap, so please add him to Peter Barnes, Runar Normann, and Julain Gray.

stupot07

Echo Sam Shilton. Would also add Darren Currie - slow as a carthorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Users who are viewing this thread