You Know You're Getting Old When........ (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

You know you're getting old when........

You die of old age

Robinshio

You Remember when :-

TV had choice of 3 channels
Jeans had choice of Levis or Wrangler
Your Trainers were from Woolworths
You got your shopping from the corner shop and had a Corona pop van and a Davenports beer van for deliveries
Town was the place to hang out on a Saturday Day
Your choice was Bitter or Mild (or a Mixed if you were really exotic)
City centre pubs were all packed on a Friday and Saturday night, and were literally everywhere
You Stood on the West End and could turn up at any ground at 2.55pm and get in
FA Cup Final was the biggest day of the year

duffer

You Remember when :-

TV had choice of 3 channels...

And the only way to change them was by physically pushing the button on the TV (assuming you'd got 50p for the meter on the back. Two words, "Radio Rentals"!)

And your Dad got you to work as the 'remote', because he wanted to kip on the sofa after dinner (which was actually called 'tea').

Kneeza

I started riding on my 17th birthday (Honda C90, oh the humanity!), and kept going on and off until finally passing my test in my thirties. Without admitting too much, I may have been stretching the boundaries of legality on occasion, cc wise. 🙂

I'm now back down to a 250 dirt bike just for the hell of it, maybe 70mph flat out! I'm tempted to pick up something like a cheap Bandit 600, for a bit of A/B road scratching.

Remember always though:

There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there aren't many old, bold riders. 😄
I too started on a 90cc Honda, illegally, in 1969. However, it wasn't a step-through, it was (loosely speaking) a proper motorcycle; a C200 model. Black, chrome sided tank, and a bit like a severely undernourished Black Bomber. Very few imported though.

On the other point, my mate who is in his mid seventies is an absolute hooligan on two wheels (usually Ducatis but I think old age might be creeping up slightly as he has a big Harley (spits...) too now 😉

duffer

Didn't you have a dial to turn through lots of static to get to the channel?!?

I remember them on the small portables, for sure. I'm sure the black plastic channel knobs on our old TV could be tuned in individually - what we'd call "user configurable", these days... 😁

skybluetony176

I too started on a 90cc Honda, illegally, in 1969. However, it wasn't a step-through, it was (loosely speaking) a proper motorcycle; a C200 model. Black, chrome sided tank, and a bit like a severely undernourished Black Bomber. Very few imported though.

On the other point, my mate who is in his mid seventies is an absolute hooligan on two wheels (usually Ducatis but I think old age might be creeping up slightly as he has a big Harley (spits...) too now 😉
I’m not and never have been a fan of Harleys except the FLA. I think it’s the suicide shifter on them. Always been a four cylinder air cooled Japanese bike fan but I must admit that I’m starting to look at classic British bikes in a different light, especially the real old stuff. Must be getting old.

rob9872

That’s what we had, right until we got a TV with a money slot on the side from Granada rentals. I remember the day we were allowed to rent one that wasn’t coin operated. It’s the proudest I’ve ever seen my mum.
Not so much the tele but the electric meter when the man came round to nans to empty it there was always some over versus the meter that you got back, no idea how it worked but nan always saw I got a couple of them and felt like I'd won the lottery!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
And the only way to change them was by physically pushing the button on the TV (assuming you'd got 50p for the meter on the back. Two words, "Radio Rentals"!)

And your Dad got you to work as the 'remote', because he wanted to kip on the sofa after dinner (which was actually called 'tea').
50p??? Robbery!! I used to rent mine from DF Gibbs (next to the General Wolfe). It was a two bob slot in the back (or a florin to us really old buggers!). 😅
Always looked forward to it being emptied by the TV man and hoped I'd get at least 10 bob rebate! 🤣

Houchens Head

Going to the " tanner rush" on a Saturday morning. The main choices in town were the ABC Empire or the Gaumont.

nicksar

OK then, you know your old when you wish you could open the bonnet on your car & mess around with the plugs, points & carbs to get it going.
Much more complex these days unfortunately but I have an OBD tool that's very useful for fault diagnosis.
It's a total pisstake that Garages charge you these days to tell you what the problem is with your car.

Houchens Head

A blonde comes back home after taking her car in for a service. She said to her husband "That's a really good garage. After the cost of the service, the only extra I had to pay for was indicator fluid!"

Robinshio

Much more complex these days unfortunately but I have an OBD tool that's very useful for fault diagnosis.
It's a total pisstake that Garages charge you these days to tell you what the problem is with your car.
Peugeot quoted me £180 just to investigate and quote for a suspension issue

skybluetony176

OK then, you know your old when you wish you could open the bonnet on your car & mess around with the plugs, points & carbs to get it going.
Top tip for 400 four owners. Talking of points. On a 400 four you have two sets of points. One set will always be a problem so the easiest solution is to replace the points with an electronic ignition kit, problem solved. Smoother running, no moving parts to wear out and as an added bonus unlike point they won’t constantly go out of calibration so it’s fit and forget. Did it on both of mine and they quickly became the most reliable bikes I’ve ever owned

Ah shit, I’m talking about motorbikes again :)

ovduk78

Top tip for 400 four owners. Talking of points. On a 400 four you have two sets of points. One set will always be a problem so the easiest solution is to replace the points with an electronic ignition kit, problem solved. Smoother running, no moving parts to wear out and as an added bonus unlike point they won’t constantly go out of calibration so it’s fit and forget. Did it on both of mine and they quickly became the most reliable bikes I’ve ever owned

Ah shit, I’m talking about motorbikes again :)
Had a quick look and there are loads for sale on ebay around 4k, go on you know you want to 😉

duffer

Peugeot quoted me £180 just to investigate and quote for a suspension issue

Robbing bastards. Might be worth trying one of the smaller garages or even one of the quick fit places.

Any half decent mechanic should be able to identify a significant suspension issue pretty quickly... Springs, shocks, bearings, or bushes, basically, imho. A ramp, a torch, and a big lever finds most things pretty quickly...

dutchman

30s would have been old age then though, not middle age
No it wasn't. The mean figure was artificially skewed by much higher infant mortality.

rondog1973

I not only remember that I also remember the only TV we had in the house when I was very young was a 14” black and white portable that you had to get up out of your seat, go to it, retune into another channel with a dial and then readjust the circular arial on top to fine tune ever time you wanted to change channel.
Actually can remember when for a time there was only 3 channels available as ITV were on strike for what felt like aeons.

NorthernWisdom

No it wasn't. The mean figure was artificially skewed by much higher infant mortality.

It was a joke...

Users who are viewing this thread