You're the chairman (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Hope this can stay on topic as I'm interested to see what answers there are.

If you replaced Fisher tomorrow as Chairman what would you do.

Lets sum up the position:
Expiring deal to play at the Ricoh, ACL refusing to talk to club about a new deal. Any new deal likely to cost more.
Expiring deal for academy and no possibility of extension due to redevelopment. New facilities, if available, likely to cost more.
SISU (and lets for the sake of this thread treat them as a separate entity) are taking legal action against the council that you have no power to stop.
No income from external sources (i.e.: SISU), the club must be self sufficient.
A rapidly dwindling fan base with many season ticket holders saying they won't return next season.
Poor squad in serious danger of relegation.
No manager, having already had rejections as you can't promise a large enough player budget.
Local council seemingly against the club.
Local paper seemingly against the club.

How would you turn things around?

christonabike

With that summery I would sell second hand motors as the hassle would be similar .
Fans = Money engage with fans try to get them onside and show them commitment and something to get them excited about. Simples.

Ian1779

Make a serious apology to fans.

Promise that going forward to be 100% transparent and honest with fans.... And stick to it.

Admit stadium stories are bollocks and previous ones were all shit.

Explain real situation about legals. If it can't be stopped by club then tell the fans why.

Disband the SCG - make a new group that has Trust, local business and fan representation.

Give Simon Gilbert a slap.

torchomatic

Three things on day one:

1. Drop the legal actions and state that you will get round the table with Wasps to thrash out a deal to stay at the Ricoh
2. Appoint an experienced lower league manager with a track record
3. Apologise to the fans for the last nine years and make it clear that this is a new start

Good start but isn't number one out of his hands?

clint van damme

Make a serious apology to fans.

Promise that going forward to be 100% transparent and honest with fans.... And stick to it.

Admit stadium stories are bollocks and previous ones were all shit.

Explain real situation about legals. If it can't be stopped by club then tell the fans why.

Disband the SCG - make a new group that has Trust, local business and fan representation.

Give Simon Gilbert a slap.

saw him in Sainsburys tonight, (Canley branch obviously)!

Paxman II

Hope this can stay on topic as I'm interested to see what answers there are.

If you replaced Fisher tomorrow as Chairman what would you do.

Lets sum up the position:
Expiring deal to play at the Ricoh, ACL refusing to talk to club about a new deal. Any new deal likely to cost more.
Expiring deal for academy and no possibility of extension due to redevelopment. New facilities, if available, likely to cost more.
SISU (and lets for the sake of this thread treat them as a separate entity) are taking legal action against the council that you have no power to stop.
No income from external sources (i.e.: SISU), the club must be self sufficient.
A rapidly dwindling fan base with many season ticket holders saying they won't return next season.
Poor squad in serious danger of relegation.
No manager, having already had rejections as you can't promise a large enough player budget.
Local council seemingly against the club.
Local paper seemingly against the club.

How would you turn things around?

It's called 'the art of the deal' by Trump. We will make Coventry City great again!

stupot07

Depends how much influence the Chairman truly has with SISU. I don't think we really know the answer but if I was approached I'd make it a condition of taking the job
The chairman has no influence on sisu, that's been pretty obvious since the Ray Ranson days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

1) apologise to fans
2) be honest about the stadium and academy situation
3) get the trust or someone like OSB in to go through the business model looking h at the books, etc to be open and transparent. If you can get the trust onside and understanding the costs, revenues, etc
4) get an experienced lower league manager
5) improve publicity around community engagement
6) hold a meet the players event in the city centre
7) disband the SCG, not sure I would bother replacing it.
8) be open and transparent about the strategy
9) more kids for a £1 and offers
10) distance myself from sisu
11) get a member of the trust on the board. Again if they truly understand the pressures they can help to spread the message.
12) re-direct the scouting network from PL u23 games and get them to conference/league two.

torchomatic

Give every kid in Coventry under 10 a free season ticket if they want one.

and Warwickshire to be fair. A good percentage of fans are outside the city.

Nick

Administrator
Good thread and was thinking about one like this.

Fans

First off it would all be about the fans, I know the budget would be small and I can't send them all free shirts but I'd be calling any fans with any sort of "voice" in for a meeting and explain the situation. "Look, its break even so what we need to do is make the revenues go as high as physically possible". Instead of talking like an accountant I'd break it down and explain that CCFC is now on it's own so we need to build it up again. Of course people would want loads of investment but I'd try to explain it isn't going to happen and why.

I'd have decent social media setup, I'd be monitoring everything going on to do with CCFC and making sure that somebody jumps in to nip things in the bud before they get out of hand. If somebody says "Im not renewing" then Id have a message sent to them to say "I am sorry you don't want to renew, would you like to pop in for a meeting" and spend a bit of time talking to them.

Social media is key, that is how things spread in this day and age. One person who had a bad experience turns into 100 angry people and it then turns into a news article that turns into more angry people. I'd make sure I was doing some decent reputation management for CCFC.

It would all be about communication with fans, I would probably have the same aim as Fisher in that I need to make money coming in more than money going out but would play the game a lot differently to make the fans feel part of it.

I'd ban anybody on here who disagreed with me, I'd get their home address off the CCFC system and plant some rent boys and a bag of coke and make sure people knew about it.

Marketing

I'd have 4 or 5 sky blue sam costumes and have them out in town / gallagher / central 6 handing out family ticket vouchers, I'd be speaking with the former players association about sending some of the older ex players round to care homes to have a cup of tea with some of the old boys in there.

I'd still do my OAP days where I send a coach (what are they, 200 quid a day?) around the local care homes and invite as many old boys (and girls) to a game where they would get a free cup of coffee (fuck wasps, id make it myself after Id been to costco) and I'd have some of the older ex players about to talk about their days. If said old person's family members want to go they get a half price ticket to join them. Those old people will have kids and grandkids, if they go to a game for free as 3 generations they will want more of it and the kids and grandkids will see it as time with their grandad, they would also see the grandad happy and tell everybody how great it was the club did that.

I'd be hammering the unis with student offers and linking up with student unions. I'd put on a coach that goes directly from the ground to the colly or whatever it is the kids do now and send them with ccfc branded shit when they go in the nightclubs to tell their mates.

Local big businesses like JLR would get corporate discount, so their workers would get a cheaper season ticket or a cheaper matchday family ticket. Same goes for NHS etc etc.

Thinking of the NHS I'd help with their campaign, come and get your balls checked and you get something in return like a cheap ticket or something. Have a couple of players getting their balls checked showing it isnt scary etc etc.

I'd try to work with business startups, it isn't just people like JLR but if there were bright new businesses that I thought were going to be big I'd give them a bit of a nudge along with a bit of free marketing and exposure in the hope that they would pass it on and return the favour. If there was room I'd setup some sort of shared office space somewhere for local startups so that I the club could make a bit of money from that, and be seen to be helping. Something to work with sbitc on.

Future Fans

I'd be promoting the shit out of the JSBS. What the kids get now is a fantastic deal for £25 so I'd try to make sure any kid that goes into the ground to watch a match is a JSB. I'd put the hard sell on anybody trying to buy a kids ticket with the "Look, it's a tenner for today, sign them up as a JSB for £25 an they can go to every game for free, they also get a gift and the invite to the kids party." I am not sure why somebody would pay a tenner for a kids ticket when they could pay £25 to be a JSB for a year.

I'd put on open training days like we used to have.

I'd keep the links with SBITC as strong as possible and build up links with places like Zoe's place and cov childrens ward with regular events. I'd push the work that SBITC as much as possible so everybody knew exactly what was going on, everything good would be shouted from the roof tops.

Paper

I'd speak to Coventry Today or somebody else and give them exclusive access. I'd say to the telegraph also that Andy Turner can come back but it's football only, the minute they start speaking about SISU and politics while speaking to the manager they would be gone, strictly football. I'd also sort out the media team to sort their shit out and ask Kieren to come back and work for me.

I'd want the inhouse media to be decent, somebody filming the players doing silly tricks in training, filming the players as human beings so the fans can get to know them, things like skill school that soccer am used to have, silly trick competitions or forefits so that the fans get to know the players.

Anybody in the media I didn't like I'd plant rent boys and a bag of coke in their houses and make sure people knew about it ;)

SCG

I'd sack it all off and start again, the trust could have 2 places for chairman and vice chairman and everybody would need to justify their place. Nobody would be there for status or to use it for something on their CV and there would be absolutely no power in it, apart from wanting to make CCFC better. I'd make it clear that it's absolutely pointless going there to rant about SISU as there is fuck all I can do about it. People would be more than welcome to criticise things I was doing or the club was doing as long as it was constructive and they weren't doing it just to be dicks.

Ground

I'd say to Wasps to give me 3-5 years there while I sort my shit, I'd have the city fans on my side then so I'd use that to my advantage as well.

I would seriously explore the Butts option, I'd work with Cov Rugby and do as much listening as possible to fans concerns and try and take them all on board. Anything build would have to be modular in design so that it can be upgraded. Even if we started at 15k it would have to be upgradable to 25k as easily as possible.

I'd try to make it a good partnership with cov rugby, joint season ticket offers, joint sponsorship and try and bring the 2 coventry teams together and play on the whole coventry thing. Brand it about Coventry, coventry's history and really make things tight with cov rugby. I'd say it isn't just about building up CCFC, we want cov rugby to be successful too.

Again, the key there would be transparency. I'd make sure fans were and felt involved along the way. Hell I'd even put competitions into local schools for kids to draw their dream stadium, the winner gets to train with the first team for an hour and a free kit. It would get all the local schools involved with the club.

Academy and Training.

Not too sure what I could do. I wouldn't want to be having the youngsters look at a wasps branded building day in day out. I would go to places like Warwick Uni and see what they could do. I'd offer some sort of skill share so ccfc's nutrionalist and physios will help out their students and we would offer the students work experience (free labour, bonus) within the club. Build up the best likes I could with somebody like this and use a facility there if possible.

I'd be open and honest with the fans, say look we have to share but we have high class facilities and here are the benefits. I'd also hope that somebody there has a rich relative who could plough some money into the club for me.

I'd use the Ryton money to go towards the stadium in the point above.

Manager

I'd be open and frank with a decent lower league manager, I'd tell them the situation and say the budget isn't great but what they will get is chance to build on something.

If they were rubbish I wouldn't want to pay them off so I'd plant rent boys and a bag of coke and make sure people knew about it.

Listen, just to be crystal clear if anybody gets caught with rent boys and a bag of coke it isn't actually me!

lifeskyblue

Fans

First off it would all be about the fans, I know the budget would be small and I can't send them all free shirts but I'd be calling any fans with any sort of "voice" in for a meeting and explain the situation. "Look, its break even so what we need to do is make the revenues go as high as physically possible". Instead of talking like an accountant I'd break it down and explain that CCFC is now on it's own so we need to build it up again. Of course people would want loads of investment but I'd try to explain it isn't going to happen and why.

I'd have decent social media setup, I'd be monitoring everything going on to do with CCFC and making sure that somebody jumps in to nip things in the bud before they get out of hand. If somebody says "Im not renewing" then Id have a message sent to them to say "I am sorry you don't want to renew, would you like to pop in for a meeting" and spend a bit of time talking to them.

Social media is key, that is how things spread in this day and age. One person who had a bad experience turns into 100 angry people and it then turns into a news article that turns into more angry people. I'd make sure I was doing some decent reputation management for CCFC.

It would all be about communication with fans, I would probably have the same aim as Fisher in that I need to make money coming in more than money going out but would play the game a lot differently to make the fans feel part of it.

I'd ban anybody on here who disagreed with me, I'd get their home address off the CCFC system and plant some rent boys and a bag of coke and make sure people knew about it.

Marketing

I'd have 4 or 5 sky blue sam costumes and have them out in town / gallagher / central 6 handing out family ticket vouchers, I'd be speaking with the former players association about sending some of the older ex players round to care homes to have a cup of tea with some of the old boys in there.

I'd still do my OAP days where I send a coach (what are they, 200 quid a day?) around the local care homes and invite as many old boys (and girls) to a game where they would get a free cup of coffee (fuck wasps, id make it myself after Id been to costco) and I'd have some of the older ex players about to talk about their days. If said old person's family members want to go they get a half price ticket to join them. Those old people will have kids and grandkids, if they go to a game for free as 3 generations they will want more of it and the kids and grandkids will see it as time with their grandad, they would also see the grandad happy and tell everybody how great it was the club did that.

I'd be hammering the unis with student offers and linking up with student unions. I'd put on a coach that goes directly from the ground to the colly or whatever it is the kids do now and send them with ccfc branded shit when they go in the nightclubs to tell their mates.

Local big businesses like JLR would get corporate discount, so their workers would get a cheaper season ticket or a cheaper matchday family ticket. Same goes for NHS etc etc.

Thinking of the NHS I'd help with their campaign, come and get your balls checked and you get something in return like a cheap ticket or something. Have a couple of players getting their balls checked showing it isnt scary etc etc.

I'd try to work with business startups, it isn't just people like JLR but if there were bright new businesses that I thought were going to be big I'd give them a bit of a nudge along with a bit of free marketing and exposure in the hope that they would pass it on and return the favour. If there was room I'd setup some sort of shared office space somewhere for local startups so that I the club could make a bit of money from that, and be seen to be helping. Something to work with sbitc on.

Future Fans

I'd be promoting the shit out of the JSBS. What the kids get now is a fantastic deal for £25 so I'd try to make sure any kid that goes into the ground to watch a match is a JSB. I'd put the hard sell on anybody trying to buy a kids ticket with the "Look, it's a tenner for today, sign them up as a JSB for £25 an they can go to every game for free, they also get a gift and the invite to the kids party." I am not sure why somebody would pay a tenner for a kids ticket when they could pay £25 to be a JSB for a year.

I'd keep the links with SBITC as strong as possible and build up links with places like Zoe's place and cov childrens ward with regular events. I'd push the work that SBITC as much as possible so everybody knew exactly what was going on, everything good would be shouted from the roof tops.

Paper

I'd speak to Coventry Today or somebody else and give them exclusive access. I'd say to the telegraph also that Andy Turner can come back but it's football only, the minute they start speaking about SISU and politics while speaking to the manager they would be gone, strictly football. I'd also sort out the media team to sort their shit out and ask Kieren to come back and work for me.

I'd want the inhouse media to be decent, somebody filming the players doing silly tricks in training, filming the players as human beings so the fans can get to know them, things like skill school that soccer am used to have, silly trick competitions or forefits so that the fans get to know the players.

Anybody in the media I didn't like I'd plant rent boys and a bag of coke in their houses and make sure people knew about it ;)

SCG

I'd sack it all off and start again, the trust could have 2 places for chairman and vice chairman and everybody would need to justify their place. Nobody would be there for status or to use it for something on their CV and there would be absolutely no power in it, apart from wanting to make CCFC better. I'd make it clear that it's absolutely pointless going there to rant about SISU as there is fuck all I can do about it. People would be more than welcome to criticise things I was doing or the club was doing as long as it was constructive and they weren't doing it just to be dicks.

Ground

I'd say to Wasps to give me 3-5 years there while I sort my shit, I'd have the city fans on my side then so I'd use that to my advantage as well.

I would seriously explore the Butts option, I'd work with Cov Rugby and do as much listening as possible to fans concerns and try and take them all on board. Anything build would have to be modular in design so that it can be upgraded. Even if we started at 15k it would have to be upgradable to 25k as easily as possible.

I'd try to make it a good partnership with cov rugby, joint season ticket offers, joint sponsorship and try and bring the 2 coventry teams together and play on the whole coventry thing. Brand it about Coventry, coventry's history and really make things tight with cov rugby. I'd say it isn't just about building up CCFC, we want cov rugby to be successful too.

Again, the key there would be transparency. I'd make sure fans were and felt involved along the way. Hell I'd even put competitions into local schools for kids to draw their dream stadium, the winner gets to train with the first team for an hour and a free kit. It would get all the local schools involved with the club.

Academy and Training.

Not too sure what I could do. I wouldn't want to be having the youngsters look at a wasps branded building day in day out. I would go to places like Warwick Uni and see what they could do. I'd offer some sort of skill share so ccfc's nutrionalist and physios will help out their students and we would offer the students work experience (free labour, bonus) within the club. Build up the best likes I could with somebody like this and use a facility there if possible.

I'd be open and honest with the fans, say look we have to share but we have high class facilities and here are the benefits. I'd also hope that somebody there has a rich relative who could plough some money into the club for me.

Manager

I'd be open and frank with a decent lower league manager, I'd tell them the situation and say the budget isn't great but what they will get is chance to build on something.

If they were rubbish I wouldn't want to pay them off so I'd plant rent boys and a bag of coke and make sure people knew about it.

Listen, just to be crystal clear if anybody gets caught with rent boys and a bag of coke it isn't actually me!

I'd sign up to most of that. If I was honest as a chairman I might go for an unknown (as a manager) but someone with strong ideas and opinions.
I would try and build bridges where possible.
Like especially the ideas re the kids and oaps....the lifeblood of the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
I'd sign up to most of that. If I was honest as a chairman I might go for an unknown (as a manager) but someone with strong ideas and opinions.
I would try and build bridges where possible.
Like especially the ideas re the kids and oaps....the lifeblood of the club

Could bang on for hours and hours about shit they could do to build it back up that would cost a pittance.

I have no experience in marketing, a lot of it just seems like common sense. They have staff at the club who do marketing for a living, they should be coming up with events and shit like that to help.

lifeskyblue

Could bang on for hours and hours about shit they could do to build it back up that would cost a pittance.

I have no experience in marketing, a lot of it just seems like common sense. They have staff at the club who do marketing for a living, they should be coming up with events and shit like that to help.

You would think so. As you say it's common sense. Unfortunately we have scored too many own goals on that front

Ian1779

You need people passionate about the club... and about Coventry. You couldn't do any worse than talking on a load of youngsters out of college in the City and task them with driving this message home. The whole 'Made in Coventry/We are Coventry' approach.

Nick

Administrator
You need people passionate about the club... and about Coventry. You couldn't do any worse than talking on a load of youngsters out of college in the City and task them with driving this message home. The whole 'Made in Coventry/We are Coventry' approach.

Exactly. Give them a free season ticket, give them some ccfc branded trackies and ask them to spread the word.

christonabike

Fans

Marketing

Future Fans

Paper

SCG

Ground

Academy and Training.

Manager

Fook me Nick you are either TF or spent months doing this. On that count Im out.

hutch1972

Some great points here which would apply to most clubs.
If we sold out till the end of the season , do you believe all that money would end up on the pitch ? , would we turn down any offers for any current youngsters ?
The answer is no from me ,
Take last season as an example , crowds went up a fair bit , we were top of the league and although we had slipped by the Jan window they still sold JM.
The money would be re invested they told us, but last night Fisher confirmed it was a small amount which actually came back to the team.
I don't believe a word they say and I'm convinced any extra money from the turnstiles would dissappear to sisu. The best we would get is a small drip feed to keep the life support going.

torchomatic

Which ever way you look at it bigger attendances can only benefit the club - not SISU - the club. Wasting my breath, I know, but hey just saying.

stupot07

Which ever way you look at it bigger attendances can only benefit the club - not SISU - the club. Wasting my breath, I know, but hey just saying.
Even if you believe increased attendances won't lead to more investment on the pitch, NOPM and decreasing attendances further will certainly lead to a lower playing budget.

torchomatic

Even if you believe increased attendances won't lead to more investment on the pitch, NOPM and decreasing attendances further will certainly lead to a lower playing budget.

Yes, that's the way it is.

shmmeee

How would you do that? The club is not pursing legal action so the chairman can't halt it and Wasps are refusing to talk about a new deal

And therein lies the issue with this thread.

It doesn't matter who the chairman is if they're under resourced and just there to do the bidding of the owner. I would resign if you put me in that situation as it's untenable.

Sisu have us by the financial bollocks, until that changes everything else about the club is irrelevant. Academy? They'll get sold and probably underfunded and if not you'll find the owner has got in another row and now you have to train at the park. Sign players or develop the Ines you've got? They'll be sold. Get some success on the pitch? Budget will get cut because obviously you don't need it all.

You may as well have a "you're the tea lady" thread for all the influence you'd have.

Brylowes

I would agree with most of the points raised, but I would announce the immediate
Re-opening of the North Stand lower blocks. Although I normally sit at the side
Of the pitch myself, a lot of people prefer to sit behind the goal, indeed some
Had been doing so for decades.
Also it's just plain wrong for the home team to have no fans behind the goal.

mrtrench

Nick is right. We are where we are and nothing that anyone does can change the fact that SISU will go only when they want to and until then they will be putting no more money in.

But that isn't the real problem here - indeed I actually think it's a good idea to have a sustainable profit-making club. The problem is their attitude:

- Lack of communication;
- Lack of marketing and engagement;
- Hostile attitude towards everyone - confrontational and looking for problems and excuses in every situation rather than solutions and moving forward;

If Fisher bothered to get off his arse and try to make the club work then we could start a virtuous circle of increased revenue and budget instead of the downwards spiral we have - despite SISU.

Captain Dart

Nick is right. We are where we are and nothing that anyone does can change the fact that SISU will go only when they want to and until then they will be putting no more money in.

But that isn't the real problem here - indeed I actually think it's a good idea to have a sustainable profit-making club. The problem is their attitude:

- Lack of communication;
- Lack of marketing and engagement;
- Hostile attitude towards everyone - confrontational and looking for problems and excuses in every situation rather than solutions and moving forward;

If Fisher bothered to get off his arse and try to make the club work then we could start a virtuous circle of increased revenue and budget instead of the downwards spiral we have - despite SISU.
Fisher isn't capable of that sort of management.

Grendel

Took about 15 minutes and if you think it's TF like then erm ok. It would take me longer to point out the differences ;)

I am also Tim fisher so there must be two of us

Users who are viewing this thread