£440 for parking on my own street! (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

So I woke up today to a clamp on my car and a notice saying to call someone because I owe then money.

Turns out I got a parking ticket for parking on double yellows on my road (I get a lot of them, theres limited parking and people running car and van based businesses seem to use it as a car park). I normally pay them straight away, but this one must have slipped through the net.

I've had no contact from a Debt collectors, nothing. Now I'm told that I have 2 hours to pay £440 or they'll take my car away.

This is ridiculous. Do I complain to the council or the debt collectors here? What are my chances of getting some money back?

Moff

So I woke up today to a clamp on my car and a notice saying to call someone because I owe then money.

Turns out I got a parking ticket for parking on double yellows on my road (I get a lot of them, theres limited parking and people running car and van based businesses seem to use it as a car park). I normally pay them straight away, but this one must have slipped through the net.

I've had no contact from a Debt collectors, nothing. Now I'm told that I have 2 hours to pay £440 or they'll take my car away.

This is ridiculous. Do I complain to the council or the debt collectors here? What are my chances of getting some money back?

Who owns the road? adopted or unadopted? if unadopted its not the council

What signs are up re parking and clamping? Its a minefield especially now parking is not enforced by the Police but by Councils. Try the Council first then the Debt Collectors. Some good free advice re parking on Money Saving Expert site, if you have time.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

shmmeee

It's just a normal Street. Dunno about adopted or unadopted, what is that?

No signs or anything, most pissed off by how it escalated from parking ticket to clamp

Moff

It's just a normal Street. Dunno about adopted or unadopted, what is that?

No signs or anything, most pissed off by how it escalated from parking ticket to clamp

Start with the council then, as it sounds like their remit. Clampers I think need signage and this doesn't sound right so I would go to the Council straight off as they are accountable for Parking enforcement.

An adopted road is one managed by the council, so the residnets don't incur costs for its maintanence. It sound slike yours is normal road so its the Council who should be in charge of whats going on with parking.

Cant understand why the council would go from Ticket to clamp. Hope you get it all sorted.

ajsccfc

homer-wheel-lock-o.gif

shmmeee

you'd think they'd have the decency to paint a couple of yellow lines on the road to let you know you shouldn't be parking there. Bastards.

Well if you want to go down that route, apparently the fact they havent closed off the lines at the end means theyre not valid. But that's according to a random online so not sure I'd go there.

Like I say, no issue paying the fine, it works out cheaper than hiring a garage near me anyway. My issue is that the first I knew of it was finding my car clamped.

Users who are viewing this thread