Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Luton Town Match Thread - Saturday 11th Feb (4 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Yea, Palmer was a poor recruitment I agree
The one plus side is you hope we won't have a season with recruitment this poor, and off field scenarios so farcical, for a fair while. And if we can still emerge safe at the end of it, desperado signings like Palmer and the GCSE loanees probably won't be seen again.

CCFC54321

Sheaf was a young player who was and is still learning the game. But yes, I suspect robins rated other players more highly at that time than a 21/22 year old who had never played at that level. He's progressed well and established himself and is a much better now than when he joined us which is why he's getting more minutes

Allen is and should have been in his prime, he hasn't got any better than where he was when he joined (in my opinion) the fact he's getting more minutes now is due to injury and lack of depth in the position
Well said. The only reason Allen is getting game time is injuries and squad depth. I’d have him no where near the first team if I had my own way. Contributes nothing. No wonder gyokeres goes alone with Allen in the side.

PVA

Positives from today: Fadz leadership, Hamers creativity & Viks workmate.

Negatives: Ref, Allen being ineffective, Sheaf injury

k9tgq7zSOhkm.gif

CovBrummie94

Yea, Palmer was a poor recruitment I agree

Was he poor recruitment? He was signed to play alongside O’Hare in a box formation, something we didn’t get to see due to O’Hare’s injuries and Palmer’s lack of fitness to begin with. It’s an unfortunate aspect of football.

He might not be the same energetic pressing attacking midfielder as O’Hare but he has his own qualities. A lot of our good play yesterday came through him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Philosopher

All players go through bad spells. Hamer kept getting booked for silly things, Sheaf had a spell where he kept dithering and giving the ball away and panicking in front of goal, Bidwell looked cumbersome for a while etc. Some people defended Waghorn. Allen has been generally rubbish for a while (wtf the captain’s armband I’ll never fathom).

There are some on here (beardstrokers as a previous poster so wonderfully termed) who defend players for the sake of their own misplaced vanity (the type who like to protest Isis welcome). I’m waiting for someone to point out that “Allen has the 18th highest average number of legstrides per game in the division (as he would being 5 ft tall). If you can’t see what he brings to the side then you are clueless”

To be fair, Allen was ok alongside decent wingbacks to nip in and give and go when we played with O’Hare on the dart. Now we play a little deeper (to try to get the opposing forwards drawn out of midfield by getting them to try to press in our penalty box so we can play past) he doesn’t suit.

Sheaf and Hamer have played well as second line sweepers in front of our back 3. They break up and can both tackle and can both spot passes to the flanks for Vic or the wingbacks. Putting Allen there is quite frankly, stupid. He can’t tackle for his life.

Out of yesterdays fit squad it would have made more sense to put Borroughs alongside Hamer. Luton were F-In huge and Burroughs is bigger than Allen and can tackle.

Why MR has this crazy habit of sticking with Allen can only be down to something called “Mini-me” syndrome. (Look it up, I laughed too when I first read about it but it is actually a thing).

Less toiling midgets please Mark.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think trusting him or captaincy has much to do with his ability or Robins opinion on his ability.
Doyle was club captain and let go when the standard was too high for him. Kelly was club captain and has been phased out the first 11 as time went by.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Allen will be the same once O'hare is fit and if promised investment comes to fruition.

I am sure attacking midfield will be a high priority position in the summer

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The goal they scored could have been easily avoided had Palmer listened to Hamer telling him to pick up Jordan Clark Hamer was going to mark Lockyer in the end Palmer's touch layed it on a plate for Lockyer because Wilson Esbrand had gone AWOL. We must stop giving teams a goal start.

Happy_Martian

Going to reserve my thoughts on yesterday's game but Luton fans will have a second reason to be happy this morning. Nathan Jones has been sacked as Southampton manager after just 3 months in charge. Lost 9 of 14 games and leaves Southampton bottom of the Prem.

So we could have 2 trips to the south coast next season with Southampton and Bournemouth vying for the bottom spot.

Grendel

I don't think trusting him or captaincy has much to do with his ability or Robins opinion on his ability.
Doyle was club captain and let go when the standard was too high for him. Kelly was club captain and has been phased out the first 11 as time went by.

Doyle had a disagreement and was on his way

ProfessorbyGrace

Doyle's pass to Godden for the pen was a thing of beauty though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It was a playmakers pass, for sure. Perfectly weighted and pinpoint; that lad could develop into a top drawer centre half when the rest of his rough edges are polished. Or even as a deep-lying midfielder, where his lack of aerial prowess won’t be as much of an issue.

CCFCSteve

It was a playmakers pass, for sure. Perfectly weighted and pinpoint; that lad could develop into a top drawer centre half when the rest of his rough edges are polished. Or even as a deep-lying midfielder, where his lack of aerial prowess won’t be as much of an issue.

Good shout. I’d be interested in seeing him as a sitting midfielder. He can get exposed in air and against pace at the back but should learn to cope better with age/experience

Users who are viewing this thread