21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (8 Viewers)

Legia Sky Blue

There are very few players bought so far by other Championship clubs that would have significantly improved us, with the majority being distinctly average. While Badlan will undoubtedly be on the case, MR and any players we are likely to be interested in signing will be on holiday at the moment, so I don't share the concern of others about our lack of transfer activity. In respect of James he played well for us, but given his injury record we would have been silly to have made the investment in him that Bristol City have done. Barnsley coped well enough without him so lets move on too. Onwards and upwards!!

Ccfcisparks

There are very few players bought so far by other Championship clubs that would have significantly improved us, with the majority being distinctly average. While Badlan will undoubtedly be on the case, MR and any players we are likely be interested in signing will be on holiday at the moment so I don't share the concern of others about our lack of transfer activity. In respect of James he played well for us, but given his injury record we would have been silly to have made the investment in him that Bristol City have done. Barnsley coped well enough without him so lets move on too. Onwards and upwards!!
Badlan who has more misses than hits in the transfermarket for us?

cc84cov

There are very few players bought so far by other Championship clubs that would have significantly improved us, with the majority being distinctly average. While Badlan will undoubtedly be on the case, MR and any players we are likely to be interested in signing will be on holiday at the moment, so I don't share the concern of others about our lack of transfer activity. In respect of James he played well for us, but given his injury record we would have been silly to have made the investment in him that Bristol City have done. Barnsley coped well enough without him so lets move on too. Onwards and upwards!!
That’s if you believe hear say,nothing official has been said

Saddlebrains

It's quite simple. We don't have owners who write blank cheques season after season with zero interest rates attached.

I dont think any of us are asking for blank cheques or to waste money we dont have.

I dont think its beyond the realms of the owners to realise, current highest earners 10k, bump that budget up to 15k for proven championship targets, only a few of them of course, and that minimal investment over a 3 year contract will pay 10 fold in keeping us competitive in this division.

If we dont take advantage this summer of all the other teams financial issues, we will never become a comfortable championship side

Skybluefaz

Members shirt is included in the season tickets. Same as last season and included in the price of a ticket so thats not relevant.

Compared to say the new shirt release, and if it was a corker and a good 5thousand brought it off the bat, thats another 150k we could have banked by now. Always feel we miss a trick not having it out for fathers day, most other clubs do
Yes and fans jumped on the back of a great season ticket offering. You make some good points, as always though I don't think it's quite as bad as you make out.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I dont think any of us are asking for blank cheques or to waste money we dont have.

I dont think its beyond the realms of the owners to realise, current highest earners 10k, bump that budget up to 15k for proven championship targets, only a few of them of course, and that minimal investment over a 3 year contract will pay 10 fold in keeping us competitive in this division.

If we dont take advantage this summer of all the other teams financial issues, we will never become a comfortable championship side

I'm not saying we are but that's the reality of what we're up against. Regardless of the pros and cons of owners blindly pumping millions each year into their respective clubs, the fact of the matter is we cannot compete with those in the Championship on commercial and ticketing revenue alone.

I highly doubt the owners will ever invest again as they once did. That ship has long sailed.

Tractorstealer

As a Bristol City fan I would be shocked if he is on 20k a week as some on here stated. Its not just you that can't afford those wages. I am under the impression he was offered around 14/15k purely from what someone at the club told me but then not sure how reliable that is 14/15k is still a large wage considering the times and his injury record but then last season he managed a decent number of appearances.

I also see you are linked with Paterson, I consider him one of those match winner types. He has a goal in him for sure and is quite flairy but his weaknesses are he is lightweight and does go missing at times and does tire easily. Be interesting to see what he would be like around a hardworking physical team. Was a decent servant for us so wish him well but he just isn't consistent enough for a top 6 or even top half side now IMO.

Legia Sky Blue

Badlan who has more misses than hits in the transfermarket for us?

I view myself as having a 'glass half empty' view of CCFC, probably as a means of coping with the many disappointments that usually come with supporting a football club, but you're taking it to a whole new level.

In respect of Badlan, I would point out that the majority of signings made by all clubs don't work out, but as long as you have enough that do, and that the duds don't prove too costly then you are doing a good job. In the last 2 seasons we have permanently brought in Marosi, McFadzean, Rose, Allen, Godden, Hamer, O'Hare & Walker permanently and players like Walsh, Ostigaard, James, McCallum and Gyokeres on loan. Yes we also brought in Kastaneer & Hilsner but overall I think we have played the transfer market pretty well.

Mr Panda

All comes down to that thing we hear time and time again about the life of a footballer being so short lived. Makes perfect sense for James to maximise the amount he's earning in what years he has left.

Personally, I was unsure how we could afford to have Walsh, Kelly, James, Sheaf and potentially Hamer as options. I hope this now clears the path for Walsh to sign.

SkyBlueDom26

All comes down to that thing we hear time and time again about the life of a footballer being so short lived. Makes perfect sense for James to maximise the amount he's earning in what years he has left.

Personally, I was unsure how we could afford to have Walsh, Kelly, James, Sheaf and potentially Hamer as options. I hope this now clears the path for Walsh to sign.

Have you heard anything about is being in for Walsh or anyone else mate?

CovLad94

So we've missed out on James, Collins, Walton, Burns, potentially Walsh and potentially Paterson (I still think he'll sign), we better have some good backup options, not that they're anything to get too excited about. I think Robins has a few surprises up his sleeve.

CDK

James a miss,but not end of the world ,sheaf is that a done deal?Paterson ? In the words of the song,there are more questions than answers.

lifeskyblue

Not too fussed at the moment, but this is a minor disappointment. James was the first of those rumoured (targets) that I thought a) I would have liked to see here and b) that realistically we had a chance of getting. Looks as if Bristol have offered more than we could afford and for a longer period so no surprises James has opted for them. I’m sure Robins and Badlan have plenty of alternatives lined up.
Personally I think it will mainly be loans we will be chasing with perhaps 1 or 2 marquee signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Warwickshire lad

I'm not saying we should go out and spunk money. Far from it.

What im saying is, were what, 4 or 5 proven championship players away from solid mid table. Them players are out there and on a free

Pay them 10 or 15k a week. Yes ohares our highest earmer on 10k if to be believed, but we have to bite the bullet at some point
What do we do if we simply do not have the money to pay that ?

mr_monkey

What do we do if we simply do not have the money to pay that ?

This is what I don't get, we've seen first hand what happens when a club like ours spends above their means (we all enjoyed that year in league two didn't we)

I'm more than happy to trust the recruitment team to do what is right for the team and the long term future, an injury prone guy on 20k a year for 3 years isn't right on either front

Winny the Bish

If we lose out on Walsh as well I'll be annoyed, until then I'm alright with us missing out on the 29-year-old with previous horrific injury issues.

SkyBlue_Adam

This was a quote from McFadzean back in March;

Asked if he thinks City have any chance of signing the Foxes midfielder on a permanent deal this summer, the centre-half said: “Hopefully,” before revealing, “we all talk to him about it all the time and say to him, ‘any chance of you coming or what?’

“And we have a little bit of banter with him and he loves it here to be honest.”

Believe that this was true. But what Bristol have offered wages wise, contract length (compared to what we offered) and the captaincy. Complete no-brainier for him. Good Luck to him.

Users who are viewing this thread