5 at the back now (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

I'm skeptical about wingbacks with this squad. In the absence of wingers, could we look at maybe a diamond formation or a 4312?

Collins
MVE, Thomas, Kitching, Bidwell
Lati
Eccles Torp
Ohare
Wright Simms
I could see us going very attacking

Going 4, 3, 3

LATS, Thomas, Kitching, Bidwell
MVE, Eccles , Torp,
Simms Godden Wright

shmmeee

Is Saka out for the season then? I’m sure last time I checked in here it was a bruised bum and he’ll be right as rain, just after his career shattering pelvic injury of course.

We could always play the original front three of Wright Godden and Simms. Or stick Palmer out wide. Shame we’ve not got anyone from the academy. In days gone by this would be the time we’d all get overly excited about an Ashley Cain or Liam Davis.

Hertsccfc

Is Saka out for the season then? I’m sure last time I checked in here it was a bruised bum and he’ll be right as rain, just after his career shattering pelvic injury of course.

We could always play the original front three of Wright Godden and Simms. Or stick Palmer out wide. Shame we’ve not got anyone from the academy. In days gone by this would be the time we’d all get overly excited about an Ashley Cain or Liam Davis.
It sounds like we do have some promising academy players like Andrews, Stretton etc but I don't think Maidstone is the match to blood them, or if so only as subs if all is going well.

shmmeee

It sounds like we do have some promising academy players like Andrews, Stretton etc but I don't think Maidstone is the match to blood them, or if so only as subs if all is going well.

Talking more generally than Maidstone really. But we don’t know until we know how long Saka is out really.

I’d go 5atb against Maidstone just cos CBs don’t tire as much as other positions and it’s the one position we’re stacked in, plus we should spend most of the time camped in their half so formation is less important. But in the league I’d want to try a few ways to make 4atb work.

shmmeee

Dare I say Dasilva could play there…

Dasilva, MvE, Palmer, O’Hare, Simms, Wright, Tavares can all play there. I’d argue even Eccles in the same way he’s played WB. It’s a question of whether that makes you go “eww” or not.

Hobo

You would be better off going on the club official site rather than on here or the Coventry Telegraph ,(which just regurgitates what is on here anyway)

I suppose it depends on whether you want crappy instant coffee or real filtered coffee?

Hobo

5 at the back is a shocking idea. It's what didn't work in the first half of the season.

But what got us from League 2' to the Championship. Just like any system, it is only as good as the players in it. Sometimes you also have to play the system that suits the players available. Also set up for the opposition.

What wasn't working at the start of the season was players finding their way with each other and the staff finding their way with players?

Building a football team and squad is not an exact science. Otherwise it would be available discounted in the Aldi aisle of dreams. 😂

skyblue_55

With Tavares & any of our youth team , I’m afraid that they just aren’t good enough, to make this step up .
Lets keep with the 4 at the back & I’d like to see JDS ( who needs to give us a performance) ahead of Bidwell & give us some pace down our left side .
So I would prefer a 4: 1: 3: 2: formation , with possibly Kelly getting the holding midfielder role … he might be rusty , but he’s got the brain still ?

covcity4life

But what got us from League 2' to the Championship. Just like any system, it is only as good as the players in it. Sometimes you also have to play the system that suits the players available. Also set up for the opposition.

What wasn't working at the start of the season was players finding their way with each other and the staff finding their way with players?

Building a football team and squad is not an exact science. Otherwise it would be available discounted in the Aldi aisle of dreams. 😂
Well said

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Think we've got thing we could try with the front three.

Palmer playing wide. Possibly Simms wider and Godden playing? Tavares on occasion?

Not saying I'm particularly enamoured with those choices, but I'm even less enthused about returning to a back 3 and wing backs.

ccfc1234

5 at the back is a shocking idea. It's what didn't work in the first half of the season.
There were a few other factors in play, such as they were a new team finding their way. While I agree the current formation is the ideal with a fully for squad, which players do you think would be taken out of their comfort zone by us reverting to 532?

shmmeee

Think we've got thing we could try with the front three.

Palmer playing wide. Possibly Simms wider and Godden playing? Tavares on occasion?

Not saying I'm particularly enamoured with those choices, but I'm even less enthused about returning to a back 3 and wing backs.

That’s where I am, we’ve got 6/7 player who *could* play there and though none are ideal, all best a return to a back three.

Londonccfcfan

After last night still no idea how we are going to approach the rest of Season. MVE didn't work as a right winger proves it.

Covkid1968#

No goalie might leave us exposed.
Yes… running keeper….Like when I was a kid playing and Ben the local fat kid who always had to go in goal has been grounded and can’t come out after school and one of the teams is a man down!! The game had to be played 22 versus 21 kids

Users who are viewing this thread