50 Reasons to Not Visit Coventry (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I must have completely missed it :(

Although some are nice pictures and you can't argue with the points!

Covkid1968#

Otis

I must have completely missed it :(

Although some are nice pictures and you can't argue with the points!

I think you can.

Coventry has loads of really historic buildings and arts wise it was stated quite recently that outside of London, Coventry has the most drama groups in the entire country.

We have 2 great museums and it is really nice around the cathedral.

It's very easy to pick on the faults, whilst forgetting stuff like the Memorial Park or Fargo Village, or the Godiva Festival.

Where things went wrong was that after the Germans bombed the city, the architects tried to avoid the historic sites to preserve them and built around them and this then isolated all the important historic buildings. There are some lovely old buildings. It's just that they are spaced out across the city.

Nick

Administrator
I think you can.

Coventry has loads of really historic buildings and arts wise it was stated quite recently that outside of London, Coventry has the most drama groups in the entire country.

We have 2 great museums and it is really nice around the cathedral.

It's very easy to pick on the faults, whilst forgetting stuff like the Memorial Park or Fargo Village, or the Godiva Festival.

Where things went wrong was that after the Germans bombed the city, the architects tried to avoid the historic sites to preserve them and built around them and this then isolated all the important historic buildings. There are some lovely old buildings. It's just that they are spaced out across the city.

Are you on Commission from Fargo Village? :)

Some of the things are totally hidden away like Lady Herbert Garden which is why people don't see them, whereas not so pleasant things are in your face.

Otis

Are you on Commission from Fargo Village? :)

I wish I was.

Just sick to death of certain people knocking this city, who are probably the same people who never go to Coventry Transport Museum, or the Herbert Museum and never, ever set foot anywhere near the cathedral.

Most probably wouldn't have a clue what Fargo Village is either.

Fine if people have experienced everything this city has to offer and then come to the conclusion that the place is a dump, but those who have never set foot in St. Mary's Guildhall, or been to the Godiva Festival, or wandered round by the cathedral, despite being Coventry folk, then no, that I am not happy about.

Mind, by the same token, I wouldn't expect to see baseball cap wearing, tattooed, roll up chav types at Fargo Village anyway. So that's a great positive.

If you go round by the cathedral it's like you're in a different city and everyone is called Paul or Lucy and not Gazza and Shaz.

Nick

Administrator
I often go to Coventry Transport Museum, although not so much the Herbert after I went to a dinosaur exhibition and it was like the kids had made them.

It really depends what people want, I wouldn't say it was a dump. It has nice parts and crap parts like most towns

hotrod

I think the article was meant to be a bit "Tongue in Cheek"

Nick

Administrator
Ahhh

giphy.gif

Otis

I often go to Coventry Transport Museum, although not so much the Herbert after I went to a dinosaur exhibition and it was like the kids had made them.

It really depends what people want, I wouldn't say it was a dump. It has nice parts and crap parts like most towns

Yep! Exactly, Nick. It is like most towns. So, why does it get so much stick?

As i said a few weeks back, I travel all over England and nearly everywhere has its nice parts and its crap parts.

Nick

Administrator
Yep! Exactly, Nick. It is like most towns. So, why does it get so much stick?

As i said a few weeks back, I travel all over England and nearly everywhere has its nice parts and its crap parts.

Does it get so much stick? Do people in Liverpool not slag parts of it off?

I doubt people from Coventry would say the Cathedral or Coombe Abbey is ugly and horrible and should be knocked down, they might just say they don't shop in the town centre as it isn't the best.

ajsccfc

Buzzfeed do a lot of things like this, '30 reasons Scotland is shit' followed by 30 stunning shots of the highlands and deep fried stuff.

Surely there's a better candidate for a food photo than a burger from the Campbell though?

Otis

Does it get so much stick? Do people in Liverpool not slag parts of it off?

I doubt people from Coventry would say the Cathedral or Coombe Abbey is ugly and horrible and should be knocked down, they might just say they don't shop in the town centre as it isn't the best.
Lol. When have you ever heard anyone from Cov say 'the town centre isn't the best?'

Otis

A fair bit, not many people I know bother going shopping in the town centre.

I mean that exact wording Nick.

You'd get 'Cov is a pile of shit' or 'It's crap and there's nuffin to do.' you wouldn't get ' the town centre isn't the best!'

Nick

Administrator
I mean that exact wording Nick.

You'd get 'Cov is a pile of shit' or 'It's crap and there's nuffin to do.' you wouldn't get ' the town centre isn't the best!'

I was being polite.

It depends what you are talking about, the town centre is a pile of shit if you want shopping, however it is great if you want cathedrals.

Otis

I was being polite.

It depends what you are talking about, the town centre is a pile of shit if you want shopping, however it is great if you want cathedrals.

A lot of Cov folk will say the cathedral is shite too I would reckon.

skybluetony176

I was in Ireland over the weekend and was having a good chat with an uncle who lived and worked in Coventry and the surrounding area in the 60's and 70's and he was saying wonderful the precent and train station were. I had to point out that they haven't aged well and are now part of the problem not the cure but I like the article. It's telling you to look past that.

clerkin61

Everyone talks about how lovely the Cathedrals are, and they are, but Holy Trinity church is even more beautiful, the stained glass windows are amazing and the 'Coventry Doom' painted in the 1400's is simply stunning. I walked in one day out of curiosity, and now it's my favourite place to see.
A but off topic I suppose!

Macca

Try Luton, Hull, Bradford, Middlesborough, Rochdale, Great swathes of Brum, London and Manchester. Cov is heaven in comparison to the aforementioned and many many others

Covstu

I dont mind cov town centre, i think we will always get bad press with the 'sent to Coventry' statement so we will be permanently stereotyped for that.

They need to look at the layout of the shopping area but to be fair i have never gone to town and not got what i was after. Having said that i normally go in for somethign specific rather than these morons who just walk around shops and not knowing what they want to buy!

Nick

Administrator
Bumping this back up.

Went to the motor museum at the weekend, the square was full of homeless people either asleep or drinking 2 litre bottles of cider. I went to pay for parking and got harassed by a beggar for money which was quite intimidating for a 5 year old girl.

Lurking around the bus station were big groups of people with strange smelling ciggies.

Motor museum was fantastic, just a shame it's surroundings ruined it. That's why I don't bother with going into the city centre.

Otis

Bumping this back up.

Went to the motor museum at the weekend, the square was full of homeless people either asleep or drinking 2 litre bottles of cider. I went to pay for parking and got harassed by a beggar for money which was quite intimidating for a 5 year old girl.

Lurking around the bus station were big groups of people with strange smelling ciggies.

Motor museum was fantastic, just a shame it's surroundings ruined it. That's why I don't bother with going into the city centre.

I never encounter any of that sort of thing, Nick.

Are you a lamp and they moths?

Grendel

I was in town last week in that square bit between M and S and the bookshop and some bloke with a Pit Bull and a tattooed woman were having a massive row. He threatened to smash her face in - lots of abuse, swearing and just unpleasant. Not uncommon in my view.

Nick

Administrator

That square by the memorial park? Rammed with homeless people asleep at 2.30 in the afternoon and loads of people on the benches around the outside sat drinking cider.

Bit strange having to explain to a child why people are asleep against a wall in the daytime and why a strange man is asking me for money and trying to talk to her after she has been taught not to speak to strangers.

Been a fair few times somebody has been begging in the car park next to the pay machine by the swimming baths.

Walk into the bus station and it feels like you are in a different country.

Joy Division

From that list, our musical history is pretty poor really for a city of our size. The Enemy should never be included as something to be proud of.

Grendel

That square by the memorial park? Rammed with homeless people asleep at 2.30 in the afternoon and loads of people on the benches around the outside sat drinking cider.

Bit strange having to explain to a child why people are asleep against a wall in the daytime and why a strange man is asking me for money and trying to talk to her after she has been taught not to speak to strangers.

Been a fair few times somebody has been begging in the car park next to the pay machine by the swimming baths.

Walk into the bus station and it feels like you are in a different country.

Did you write this ;)

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/coventry-the-armpit-of-the-midlands.html/comment-page-1

It is old but the comments make me smile

Rusty Trombone

Bumping this back up.

Took my lad up to the Transport museum on Sat, a few nice changes, but I struggled to see where £9.5m had been spent. Really £9.5 million pounds.

Always park in Lower Ford Street, 2 hours free parking, no beggars.

Users who are viewing this thread