6÷2(1+2)=? (1 Viewer)

Marty

The answer is 9 :)

Last edited:

SkyBlueMania

It's 1 people, don't you remember BODMAS from school!

(always perform in the order Brackets, Orders, Division and Multiplication, Add and Subtract)

Disorganised1

It's 1 ~ and there's no point of view - it's 1

CovLis86

The answer is 9.

Brackets, over division, multiplication, addition and then subtraction.

So the brackets is 1+2 = 3.
Then next is division, so 6/2 = 3.
Then its multiplication, so thats 3 x 3 ( outside brackets multiplying what is within the brackets) . So the answer is 9. Thats just fact.

Jimthor

The answer is 9. At first i couldn't make my mind up, but i typed it into Excel which said 9, so i've had a think and i've found the logic behind it now.
The way i see it, the ordering of multiplication isn't actually of importance, it's nothing to do with BODMAS. It's just to do with how it's written. Lots of people think it's 1, but they're looking at the sum the wrong way, and multiplying the denominator by the (1+2). To solve it this way you'd have the sum written 6/(2(1+2)).

I think it's easier to understand if you write it on paper. I've tried to explain it as fully as possible here, showing that it's 9 whether you divide or multiply first. The first step i've shown is the key bit really, just writing it out 'correctly':
scaled.php

scaled.php

rob9872

It's 9

If you wanted it to be 1 then you need more brackets:

6/(2(1+2))

rob9872

Ah as above just beat me to it

A few days away on holiday and the forum has sunk to this :)

Good news on Thorn though :)

Jimthor

You don't do the 6/2 first though as it has no brackets. The overall question makes 6 / 2 * 3 = ?

I have done the brackets before any other mathematical operations. The first thing i've done is written it out in a different format.

Remember that 3 is the same as writing 3/1. So we're multiplying two fractions: 6/2 and 3/1. When you multiply fractions, you multiply numerators by numerators, and denominators by denominators.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
9 It's obvious. You do the first part: 6÷2 which = 3, then multipy that by what is in the brackets (1+2) which = 3. Therefore 3 x 3 = 9 Simples! :)
Any more? These are easy!

MatthewWallis

It's 6 divided by 2(1+2) which means 6 divided by 2 lots of 1+2 which is 6. 6/6 = 1

You are wrong, it's everything out the brackets multiplied by everything inside them. Therefore it's 6/2 which Is 3 multiplied by 1+2 which is 3, so simplified it becomes 3(3) which becomes 9.

SkyBlueMania

The answer is 100% absolutely totally and utterly 1, guaranteed.

It is exactly as Sheepy said, the 2(1+2) means two lots of what is within the brackets, the two before the brackets cannot be used elsewhere in the calculation.

I'mARealWizard

As a maths teacher, I can tell you that the answer is most definitely 1.

And this goes to show why you are taught BODMAS in schools.

Because we read (in western society) from left to right, and other cultures read from right to left, AND because people have their own ideas about which operations are the most important, BODMAS is a standardised way of dealing with calculations.

The first operation to complete is the brackets (1+2) = 3

You then need to multiply the brackets by 2 BEFORE doing the division. This is because 2(1+2) actually means two lots of the brackets. And it still falls under the 'Brackets' part of BODMAS.
If it had read 6÷2x(1+2) then you would do (6÷2)x(1+2) which is, clearly 9.

I hope that helps and puts an end to this confusion :wave:

I'mARealWizard

Not that this has been playing on my mind at all...;)

But if you multiplied out the brackets first so that the equation

6÷2(1+2)=

became

6÷(2+4)=

you can now see what the real answer is...

:laugh:

egastap

The answer is 9....and it is to do with BODMAS.
I quote
B
Brackets first
O
Orders (ie Powers and Square Roots, etc.)
DM
Division and Multiplication (left-to-right)
AS
Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)

Divide and Multiply rank equally (and go left to right).
Add and Subtract rank equally (and go left to right)​
So, when you apply the "Divide and Multiply" rule, which is carried out in the order of left-to-right, the answer is 9.

Phew.....finally!​

rob9872

I posted 9 earlier in the thread, but it is definite;y 1 and I'm happy to say I was wrong. You should too egs, read it again and you will see that it can't be anything else

rob9872

Actually scrap that. Hard to believe but my maths is normally excellent and I really can't decide :(

Users who are viewing this thread