6 Players, You Decide... (1 Viewer)

trevelfarandwide

Just for a laugh, or another distraction to the current shit-ness, consider this:

If you could pluck 6 players from CCFC's past and stick them in this current team, who would you choose? Players that you believe could make such an impact, that relegation could indeed be avoided.

My choices: GK Bill Glazier, CB Gary Gillespie RB Roland Nilsson CM Lloyd McGrath AMF/RMF David Thompson, CF Cyrille Regis

These are open to debate, of course, and these are the first that popped into my head.

Bob Latchford

Blyth , Killer , Yorath , Hutch , Bennett , Wallace.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Glazier, Yorath, McAlister, Hutchison, Keane, Wise, David Thompson......oops, that's 7

Terry Gibson's perm

Even players like Graham Withey would improve this side and I never thought I would be able to say that.

Sterling Archer

Only players I've seen.

Westwood - Fantastic keeper and would be easily the best in this league.
Konjic - Not technically the best CB we've had by a long way but he would be the perfect battering ram of a CB we need to shore up and deal with L1 defenders
David Thompson - Just because I love him
Huckerby - This league can't handle pace and directness
Robbie Keane - GOALS
Dublin - MORE GOALS

That's right. I'm going on the premise of scoring more than the other team.

Gazolba

Blyth
Dann
Nillson
Konjic
Dublin
Aloisi

shmmeee

Of the players I've actually seen play:

Westwood
Nilsson
Turner
Wise
Dublin
Huckerby

Would give us a team of:

Westwood
Nilsson Clarke Turner Rawson
Stevenson Wise Reilly
Beavon Dublin Huckerby

It's about how good a team we'd need to stay up, and I'd still be worried about the defence and midfield.

Terry Gibson's perm

Dublin
Boateng
Babb
Hedman
Keane
Phillips snr

Plus new manager Mark Robins

Bernie Rhodes Nose

I was thinking of starting a similar thread where we pick a starting 11 which contains 6 players from the current squad plus 5 former players who are still playing (It ain't) :
RCC
Willis Turner Dann Stokes
Stevenson Rose Maddison
Wilson Armstrong K Thomas

(I was struggling with the current crop)

Astute

I was thinking of starting a similar thread where we pick a starting 11 which contains 6 players from the current squad plus 5 former players who are still playing (It ain't) :
RCC
Willis Turner Dann Stokes
Stevenson Rose Maddison
Wilson Armstrong K Thomas

(I was struggling with the current crop)
I feel sorry for you if that is the best you have seen. I started late 70's/early 80's. They wouldn't even come close to my top 100.

Somerset Sky Blue

Like this thread, something a bit different / positive / fantasy...
Well, I'll have Hedman in goal and perhaps either Gary Breen (as we dream of a team...) or Stuart Pearce as they would either add composure or bite to our defence.
Definitely need some goals - so Dublin and Keane (as selected by a number here) would be great - Dion can help the defence at set pieces too.
Gary Mc will add a bit of class and some great delivery of free kicks.
My 'luxury' will be David Speedie (yes, a front three) - always been a favourite for his headers, character and determination.

I think this six (and most of the ones before) would easily steer us from relegation - my six would have us in the play-offs by May, barring injuries!

Apologies to those who saw the Sky Blues in the 70s and before (my dad would insist on Tommy Hutch)!

Somerset Sky Blue

I feel sorry for you if that is the best you have seen. I started late 70's/early 80's. They wouldn't even come close to my top 100.
Generally agree - though not sure you could find 20 better strikers in last 30 years than Armstrong and Wilson (but you could find 10 easily!).

Sentiment is true though - I feel sorry for any young fan. My 7 year old has only been going a couple of years and is about to witness a relegation to the fourth tier. Talk of '87 is great, but TV and TOPPS cards all cover the Premiership!

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Glazier, Curtis, Clements, Mortimer, Hudson, Gould the two I would most like in are Curtis because he would lift the team up just by his example before he even shouted at them no silly mistakes like today side and Gould because he knew where the effort had to be put in in the box not the best striker by any means but no defence slept when he played.

Astute

Generally agree - though not sure you could find 20 better strikers in last 30 years than Armstrong and Wilson (but you could find 10 easily!).
Armstrong in Division 3 against some good strikers in the top flight?

Wilson was also good for us. But after leaving he was still learning.

Somerset Sky Blue

Armstrong in Division 3 against some good strikers in the top flight?

Wilson was also good for us. But after leaving he was still learning.

OK, I'm feeling brave. 20 strikers then. (though wish I'd limited it to 20 years or just focused on Wilson).
I'll give you Keane, Dublin, Ndlovu, Huckerby, Regis, Houchen, Gallacher, Whelan, McSheffery, Adebola, Best, Hartson, Aloisi, (grudgingly Bell-end) Bellamy. Got another 6?
See, I'm not sure about the flying postman - is he really better than Wilson (perhaps Armstrong at present)? I ruled out Cedric Roussel too - I think Wilson is better.

Over to you Astute - though six might not be that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread