A real positive to come out of this season (1 Viewer)

Otis

Is that of our spirit and fight and desire as a team.

Too many seasons we have had loads of games where the team hasn't turned up, the manager has gone mental and we have just showed a lack of passion and effort.

Ronnie Moore - Tranmere, after their defeat at Walsall on Tuesday;

Moore apologised to fans after the game .

The former Rovers striker told BBC Radio Merseyside: "I've never been so angry. It's a good job we're not fourth bottom because I'd be out of work with the way we played. There was no fight, no spirit, no desire, no commitment - all those words.
"We've got to move on. Mental strength has been lacking in the past two months for me and we're not having it any more. We will not win another game playing like that [at Walsall]."

Words so familiar to us over the years, but it's fair to say that ever since Robins came and Carsley and Pressley have taken reins since, we have seemingly always put in a decent effort and had a great deal of fight about us. Think that has been proved on a few occasions with our fightbacks and late goals etc.

Even when we have lost we haven't failed to show heart.

The words of Ronnie Moore above have been something we have had to endure for a number of years. Really good for once to be talking about a team that at least pretty much always turns up, so hats of to the City for that this season.

Long may it continue and it will always allow us to have a chance in every game we play if it does indeed carry on.

speedie87

I think that's because managers and fans often use that as an excuse for players not being good enough.

Our players have been good enough this year.

Otis

What you talkin about?

I had another glass half full post not so long back when one of my Russian in-laws died, so there is a degree of regularity if you merely seek it out.

theferret

What you talkin about?

I had another glass half full post not so long back when one of my Russian in-laws died, so there is a degree of regularity if you merely seek it out.

How do you find the Russians Otis? Has some bad experiences with them myself, and they have a reputation for being miserable and surly I think its fair to say. Misunderstood or a bunch of vodka swilling gangsters?

Otis

And that's just my wife!!

You are right about the miserable and surly though. They are so deadly serious. No-one ever seems to smile on a photo or at a celebration. Think so many years of Stalin wore them down and it does get bitterly cold in the Winter too.

Lots and lots of corruption too as you say. Any official in any capacity seems to be crooked, from the police and army to politicians and even post office clerks.

A friend of my missus in Russia went to a post office over there to complain about a parcel of hers not arriving at it's destination. This a regular occurrence and pretty much every parcel my wife sends over turns up opened with half the stuff missing. When it gets to Russia it just gets opened at customs and people take what they want.

Anyway, this friend went to a post office in Volgograd to complain that she sent a jumper in the local post and that it was missing. The clerk there called for another clerk who was in charge of such issues and lo and behold, this second clerk was wearing the very jumper the customer had sent in the post.

Last edited:

dadgad

Haha, that's a good story.
Years back I was in Moscow working and some "local business types" latched onto us.
We should have known better :facepalm:but things started off so well; Caviar, black champagne, rides on Andropov's Troika ( I kid you not).
Then came the sting: "Pleeeze, you take for us this leeeetle package back to London, yes?"
This "likkle package" was actually a fuck off suitcase stuffed with packets of "salt".
It was a difficult situation.:(

brinner

Is that of our spirit and fight and desire as a team.

Too many seasons we have had loads of games where the team hasn't turned up, the manager has gone mental and we have just showed a lack of passion and effort.

Ronnie Moore - Tranmere, after their defeat at Walsall on Tuesday;

Moore apologised to fans after the game .

The former Rovers striker told BBC Radio Merseyside: "I've never been so angry. It's a good job we're not fourth bottom because I'd be out of work with the way we played. There was no fight, no spirit, no desire, no commitment - all those words.
"We've got to move on. Mental strength has been lacking in the past two months for me and we're not having it any more. We will not win another game playing like that [at Walsall]."

Words so familiar to us over the years, but it's fair to say that ever since Robins came and Carsley and Pressley have taken reins since, we have seemingly always put in a decent effort and had a great deal of fight about us. Think that has been proved on a few occasions with our fightbacks and late goals etc.

Even when we have lost we haven't failed to show heart.

The words of Ronnie Moore above have been something we have had to endure for a number of years. Really good for once to be talking about a team that at least pretty much always turns up, so hats of to the City for that this season.

Long may it continue and it will always allow us to have a chance in every game we play if it does indeed carry on.
take it you didnt go Shrewsbury away then!

but yes agree weve looked more of a team last few months and have shown commitment to the cause.

stupot07

I agree to an extent, but choking in the JPT and our awful home record, poor defending/lack of cleansheets suggests that we still lack mental strength, although I agree it is much improved.

Otis

but yes agree weve looked more of a team last few months and have shown commitment to the cause.

Did say from the point of Robins on.

Shrewsbury was one of Shaw's wasn't it?

Otis

Yep, just checked. That was Shaw not Robins. From Robins onwards we have shown much more fight.

Godiva

And that's just my wife!!

Is she from Petersburg, Petrograd, Leningrad or Sct. Petersburg?

Or maybe from Tsaritsyn, Stalingrad or Volgograd?

If she's from Stalingrad I guess you married her as Coventry's official tribute to the sister city.

Otis

That is perfectly true. Volgograd.

Coventry's twin city and my wife and I have exactly the same birthday and her sister and my brother have exactly the same birthday too. That's how we met through those coincidences.

My wife learned all about Coventry and Lady Godiva when she was at school.

Seems like it is only Cov folk who dislike Coventry so much. I've had relatives from Canada really love Coventry too.

Otis

Russia's abroad?

I had no idea. I went on a Harry Shaw coach and slept the whole way.

Users who are viewing this thread