Match Thread Accrington Stanley - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 14th Oct (1 Viewer)

Lord_Nampil

Seen the Jones chip from today’s game, the moreI watch it, the more I get annoyed! He’s through on goal and got the chance to go round the keeper, even if it means he passes rather than shoots, there’s a goal scoring chance! We are trying to sprint before we can even walk when it comes to shooting! The decision making is letting us down in front of goal and It needs to change quickly!

Last edited:

dongonzalos

I will say it again and no doubt get shot down again.
We need a goal scorer.
Simple as that ..
defensively and midfield and we are fine.
We just need someone who will smash it into the back of the net.
Robins thought that man was McNulty. It's not.
The Duck will score goals but not enough.
The only good thing about defeats like this it's means we are more likely to get that player come January.
If we keep grabbing the odd 1-0 or a 0-0 when in reality we should be winning 2-0,3-0 .
It would have masked it and we would even have fans saying keep it as it is.

We would have stayed as we are and after January we would slide down the table and if we are lucky get in the play offs. If you are scoring half the goals of the teams around you. You cannot expect to get in the top three no matter how good your defence is.
This squad can be top 3 and we need a striker to get us there.

Last edited:

Super Graham Withey

Has he ever played there before? We need someone for sure. Jones gets triple marked at times.

As has been suggested before a number of times, maybe Haynes can go wide left in front of Stokes, with Jones wide right.

He played there for Sheffield United. We need to get the best out of McNulty, techically he is one of our better players. Playing wide right will also take the pressure off from him in front of goal, where he's struggling.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Mostly rubbish today, Doyle was awful. I'd drop Kelly Evans for Haynes if he's fit. Probably give nazon a rest too for McNulty and bring back Kelly,

Might surprise a few here by defending Doyle; he was covering for the whole of the midfield. As if having to cover the absent Kelly wasn’t going to be hard enough.

Yes his passing wasn’t the best, he didn’t get to do as much holding play as he’d have liked, partly because of the constant pressure Accy put us under, but he wasn’t the worst

higgs

I'd play haynes up front he got a good few goals last season

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Paxman II

I would love to see Haynes in the side. He would give us decent attacking outlet with a sweet left foot and at this level think he could be significant.
Apart from that we need a guy who can take chances and put it in the back of the net. MR's clearly see's that as an issue. Disappointed today but not worried yet. Think we are a strong side in this league and there is an awful long way to go.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I would love to see Haynes in the side. He would give us decent attacking outlet with a sweet left foot and at this level think he could be significant.
Apart from that we need a guy who can take chances and put it in the back of the net. MR's clearly see's that as an issue. Disappointed today but not worried yet. Think we are a strong side in this league and there is an awful long way to go.

Stokes will certainly have to up his game now that Haynes is on his way back.

He’s not really stood out in a positive way for me yet this season. Perhaps because it’s one area we lack competition?

I’ve never been Haynes biggest fan due to his inconsistency, and as a back four they’ve not been performing too badly, but if it’s a change that’s available for us it has to be tried at some point?

Nick

Administrator
We need a goal scorer.
Simple as that ..
defensively abd midfield and we are fine.
Robins though that man was McNulty. It's not.
The only good thing about defeats like this it's means we are more likely to get that player come January.
If we keep grabbing the odd 1-0 or a 0-0 when in reality we should be winning 2-0,3-0 .

We would have stayed as we are and after January we would slide down the table and if we are lucky get in the play offs. If you are scoring half the goals of the teams around you. You cannot expect to get in the top three no matter how good your defence is.
Keep saying it, what chances would a goal scorer have put away today?

We aren't creating chances for a striker to put in the net. There wasn't a clear cut chance today or a bad miss.

Cov kid 55

We aren't creating chances for a striker to put in the net. There wasn't a clear cut chance today or a bad miss.
You’re right, which is why it’s a waste bringing Ponticelli on with 10 minutes left, he’s not going to change the game. I think it’s time to give DKE a rest, he didn’t contribute too much positively today. Works hard, and he will improve. I was pleased to see Ben Stevenson in the team as I was keen to see him play, but I was disappointed in his performance, and for me he needs to do more to fulfill the potential that people see in him. He’s young, and for me, needs to start dictating in the midfield.

If you’re going to play that front two, I would play McNulty behind them as I believe he can be creative. In terms of the overall game, I thought Accrington were comfortably the better side, played it well on the ground in the first half, scored a well worked goal, and competed strongly across the park. We were mostly poor. I also thought that their support was excellent, for a small crowd, they were very vocal and supportive of their team throughout. The Sky Blue army, although out in force, was quiet, but I wouldn’t be too critical, the team didn’t give us much to get excited about today. The way we played today, was at best play off level performance.

Kingokings204

Yeah got back after a long drive home. We was crap today. We did try and I wouldn't fault the effort of the side but it's not hard to see why we don't score many. We don't have any threats. Jones and the duck was our best two hopes today but they were off today and when they are off we don't seem to score.

Doyle's had a good game today and I never say that. Missed Kelly big time of course. Support was very subdued today also probably because there wasn't much to shout about.

All in all very poor and need to sort the goals out else this will just end up being a mid table at best season. Sort the goals out we can get top 7.
Defence and midfield look decent enough for this league. Burge looks ok bar his kicking. Just goals please.

Grendel

The other point of course is every club will sign a 20 goal a season striker if it's so simple. In the end you sign players and hope they work. Mcgoldrick was a washed up has been who turned into a great striker and Kevin Drinkell was a great striker who quickly became a washed up has been

In his chocolate box world it's so simple - what's really offensive is the obvious delight he takes when we lose

junglej13

Havent read the full thread but Biamou and Kelly Evans were absolutely appalling today. Biamou looked like he was hiding in the second half and didnt want the ball.

lesturd

We need a goal scorer.
Simple as that ..

We had the chance to buy a striker in James Collins...we didn't get him because SISU wouldn't go that extra yard and pay him to secure his services...you get what you're prepared to pay for...SISU won't pay it though

Otis

No, I agree, if we can get a good striker who can belt them in constantly from 30 yards out we are on to a winner.

larry_david

Pretty dreadful. Accrington started well and scored from some horrendous defending. Their move such a nothing move I instantly forgot how the build up happened it was that poor from us.
Some maybe pen shouts although both were clutching at straws in desperation. Dev I'm afraid at this moment in time should be nowhere near this first time. It's not even his height or build, he doesn't have any skill or pace either! It's almost like playing with a man down. I know that's harsh, it's not his fault but he was brought in with us down to bare bones and now our injured players are fit again, so he has to go out. Can't really remember any clear cut chances for us and I don't think burge had anything to do after the goal.
As for our fans, quiet bar a few idiots arguing with each other about whether they should be swearing in front of children. Bad day really and one that needs to be forgotten

Grendel

We had the chance to buy a striker in James Collins...we didn't get him because SISU wouldn't go that extra yard and pay him to secure his services...you get what you're prepared to pay for...SISU won't pay it though

Double account alert.

Otis

Pretty dreadful. Accrington started well and scored from some horrendous defending. Their move such a nothing move I instantly forgot how the build up happened it was that poor from us.
Some maybe pen shouts although both were clutching at straws in desperation. Dev I'm afraid at this moment in time should be nowhere near this first time. It's not even his height or build, he doesn't have any skill or pace either! It's almost like playing with a man down. I know that's harsh, it's not his fault but he was brought in with us down to bare bones and now our injured players are fit again, so he has to go out. Can't really remember any clear cut chances for us and I don't think burge had anything to do after the goal.
As for our fans, quiet bar a few idiots arguing with each other about whether they should be swearing in front of children. Bad day really and one that needs to be forgotten
The answer's no.

Esoterica

We need a goal scorer.
Simple as that ..

I don't think you could be more wrong with this. How is our midfield doing ok in your eyes? How many times have we created a chance playing through the middle this season? It's a really really naive view of our season to just pin our woeful away and general scoring form on the need for someone who can score with every touch, which is basically what you're expecting. In fact for someone so categorical in their statements, I have a hard time believing you've watched the game and not just the BBC stats page.

Cov kid 55

You’re right, I would question selection today, don’t think we played our best available team. Devon will hopefully improve and come back stronger.

Grendel

I don't think you could be more wrong with this. How is our midfield doing ok in your eyes? How many times have we created a chance playing through the middle this season? It's a really really naive view of our season to just pin our woeful away and general scoring form on the need for someone who can score with every touch, which is basically what you're expecting. In fact for someone so categorical in their statements, I have a hard time believing you've watched the game and not just the BBC stats page.

Stop feeding the clueless c**t it's not worth the effort

Gint11

My first game of the season. My take on it based on today's game only.

Burge: Good, solid performance. Couple of good low saves. Commanded area. Couple of stray kicks but had nothing to do 2nd half. Can't fault him for the goal.

Stokes: Solid enough. Don't really remember him doing anything much but positional play OK and is resolute.

McDonald: solid enough, really good positional play. Misses 50% of the headers he goes for. Seems to jump late but OK.

Willis: absolutely stealing a living. The lad hasn't a clue. Plays like he needs constant direction from his partner. Probably being harsh but for me he is average at this level.

Grimmer: can see a player in him but looks confidence shot. Needs more bite. Fans near me slating him all game, not sure why really.

Doyle: good performance overall. Couple of dodgy passes but doing most things on his own. Never stopped.

Stevenson: thinks he is pirlo. Not good enough to dictate games. Had a good last 10/15 minutes but ineffective and lightweight.

Jones: decent game, threat. 80% of his final distribution is terrible though.

DKE: awful performance. Ligthtweight and clumsy. He needs to be running onto balls, not back to defender. Didn't play him the right balls but got knocked off numerous times.

Biamou: poor poor. Looks half arsed, doesn't chase, no hunger. Send him back to Sutton

Duck: worked hard, chased everything. Good shot first half. Having to drop deep with back to goal.

Poor performance although we dominated 2nd half but in saying that, never really troubled the goalkeeper. Seems no connection between midfield and forwards. Jones isn't the finished article but without him, we have no spark. Robins got it massively wrong today. DKE out wide against an aggressive, tight team was wrong choice and Stevenson on the middle, although enforced didn't work. The changes he made were too late and should have been made at half time.

What is Ponti and Vincenti really going to do with 3 minutes left.

We aren't far off getting it right, but the issues are clear. Strikers combination of mis firing (not taking chances) and the link up with midfield not right and only having Jones as a creative option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

Well today's performance was as enjoyable as the 50mph section on the M6!
Fair play to Accrington who deserved the win, they wanted it more and have a few decent players who work for each other. Thought Richards-Everton was very classy for them, love to have him in the side.

From my point of view I think MR got his team selection wrong today and too many failed to impose themselves on the game. Kelly-Evans had a shocker today, offered nothing to the team and Vincenti should of been selected ahead of him for this game. Stevenson didn't do his chances of being a regular starter any good what so ever, Kelly will breeze back into the side and how we missed him.

JJ was wasteful when in good areas and didn't get a hold of the game, too often he's in and out of games and today was one. Nazon too, just wanted him to put his laces through the ball when still weaving through towards goal 4 yards out!!

Felt sorry for Biamou who did struggle against Richards-Everton to win the headers but did well enough with the "support" he got from the fans with very few good balls into the box to work with.

Struggling to see what our game plan was today and how MR hoped we'd score or break down a very organised side, bad day at the office all round.

pusbccfc

That Duck chance shows why he's here and not at a higher level. The man's shooting defines the term 'hit and hope'. Has to place that one. Sometimes it comes off, but a more clever striker would have been more composed.

Should have thrown on Vincenti and Ponticelli at least 10 minutes early. Robins once again left it too late to mix it up/bring on fresh legs.

Stevenson was awful today, as well. Too lightweight but without that next level ability someone like Madderz had. Once he got that yellow card, you may as well have took him off.

The team has strong points, but we are carrying too many players away from home. Earlier on in the season it was Beavon and Vincenti, now it's Devon Kelly-Evans and Stevenson today.

lesturd

If we had a decent striker we'd be making chances because he would be making intelligent runs, occupying defenders and being in positions to score...would make it easier for the rest of the team to create chances for him

letsallsingtogether

What I find funny is anyone who moans about us losing knows nothing about football.

Didn't go today but did we deserve to lose?

Paxman II

Listening to the comments it sounds like our issues will be solved if we get a good creative midfielder who can slot a ball through and pick up play, moving the ball forward with some urgency. Also we need to find the combination of striking partnership.
But how much did tactics play a role? Do we have players in our squad who can adapt or do we need to bring in a couple?

Kingokings204

Listening to the comments it sounds like our issues will be solved if we get a good creative midfielder who can slot a ball through and pick up play, moving the ball forward with some urgency. Also we need to find the combination of striking partnership.
But how much did tactics play a role? Do we have players in our squad who can adapt or do we need to bring in a couple?

I don't think tactics helped today. Mcnulty when he came on went right wing. That ended up needless to say as hopeless as he is a striker. Mix that in with biamou who I have seen a lot of this season and he just isn't the grade. We don't look like scoring.

The duck and jones are our best two threats going forward but when they don't do it there is no plan B. It's not hard to see why we don't score.

My opinion is play duck and mcnulty up front and have a go. Means we might concede more though I guess as we do look fairly solid at the back. Today we didn't first half mind you. Lucky to get in at 1-0.

eastwoodsdustman

Wasnt great today and they were one of the best sides I'veseen us play this season. Having said that, a draw would have been a fair result. Doyle had a half decent game. Biamou had a decent second half and caused them most problems. Neither full back had a decent game today.

I've brought it up before, but some of our fans are a disgrace. Booing ur own players after 15 minutes, at half time abnd at the end. Beer bottle thrown on the pitch and later what appeared to be an orange thrown too. Abusing our players at the end as they left the pitch.
One bipolar bloke in particular was booing and giving it stacks at the players, He Shook Willis's hand and asked him for his shirt all nicey nicey. Willis said no and went down the tunnel. The bloke then shouted at Biamou who clapped him and was met with a volley of abuse and hand signals.
I reallly dont understand what pleasure they get from going to games when they act like this.

Nick

Administrator
If we had a decent striker we'd be making chances because he would be making intelligent runs, occupying defenders and being in positions to score...would make it easier for the rest of the team to create chances for him
Who's going to do that then? Jones had chances to play others in but shot near enough every time today.

If you watch the strikers they do make runs, it's the fact the midfield is on the toes of the defenders they don't get anything.

You would have a point if we were missing 10 one on one chances per game, not resorting to hopeful long shots over and over.

There are no defence splitting passes going through that our strikers aren't reacting to, unless the striker can put them in the top corner from 35 yards every time or take 3 defenders in and score there wouldn't have been much hope today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread