Aeg (1 Viewer)

Calista

If I’m not mistaken, SISU have said a few times that they wanted to “bring in” AEG to run the Ricoh.

AEG were described in the Telegraph as an “events management company”, but if I’ve looked at the right website they look MUCH bigger than that to me. They not only own and / run over 100 stadiums etc., but also have quite a few sports clubs in their portfolio. I reckon they are big enough to swallow both ACL and CCFC whole as a snack before breakfast if they felt like it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I thought AEG manufactured kitchen appliances? That'll be handy experience for cooking the books! :D

chiefdave

Will probably post more on this tomorrow when I get on a decent keyboard but while they are a huge worldwide company if you look at what they do in the UK you'll see how unlikely it is they'd have the slightest interest in running the Ricoh. In this country they are a music based company running the O2, Hydro, Wembley Arena and Hammersmith Apollo.

Their main business in the UK is music promotion and they put on shows at hundreds of venues around the country without the need to own them.

You're right though, if they had any interest in the Ricoh they would bypass SISU and just buy everything, including CCFC, outright. It's a business model they use a lot in the states.

Calista

Will probably post more on this tomorrow when I get on a decent keyboard but while they are a huge worldwide company if you look at what they do in the UK you'll see how unlikely it is they'd have the slightest interest in running the Ricoh. In this country they are a music based company running the O2, Hydro, Wembley Arena and Hammersmith Apollo.

Their main business in the UK is music promotion and they put on shows at hundreds of venues around the country without the need to own them.

You're right though, if they had any interest in the Ricoh they would bypass SISU and just buy everything, including CCFC, outright. It's a business model they use a lot in the states.

Thanks for that “Chief”, I bow to your knowledge.

Boy could we do with a major investor that would see off ALL of the protagonists in our dispute!

SkyBlueScottie

It was said they are interested as they have no presence in this area. However Brum council have been told to sell their stake in the NEC so you would imagine they will look into that proposition.

tisza

AEG already have links with the ricoh & ACL. If they were serious in developing them further they wouldn't necessarily have to do it with SISU.

torchomatic

ONly yesterday I read that the Ricoh was a "world class" venue. So why wouldn't they be interested? And if City never return then the Ricoh going to have to become something pretty special to keep going. They'll need more than summer concerts.

James Smith

ONly yesterday I read that the Ricoh was a "world class" venue. So why wouldn't they be interested? And if City never return then the Ricoh going to have to become something pretty special to keep going. They'll need more than summer concerts.

It will be interesting to see what the next set of accounts from ACL.

chiefdave

Did you actually read what I posted? In the UK AEG deal almost exclusively with music events and ticketing (through their own ticketing company AXS). The largest part of their business is AEG Live a music promotions company which puts events on at hundreds of venues all over the country, including the Ricoh, of which they own only 3 (O2, Hydro, Hammersmith Apollo). They also have a standalone company AEG Facilities which operates Wembley Arena. It just doesn't fit in the portfoilio of their business in this country.

They have zero involvement in the UK in either conference venues (actually they have no conference venues in the whole of Europe) or sports stadiums (the only 2 they operate in Europe are both in Sweden) and therefore have no staff who have the expertise to deal in those areas. What would be the advantage of bringing them in? Unless people can point to issues with how ACL are running the venue then there is little point in switching to AEG. If SISU were to purchase ACL or the Ricoh freehold we are led to believe it is for the benifit of the club, how will the club benefit if the profits from running the Ricoh are going to AEG? Surely better to keep ACL as it is now but under the same group ownership as CCFC allowing any profit to be used by the club.

As far as I'm aware their only venture into sport in the UK was ownership of the London Knights ice hockey team who went out of business in 2003. Gloabally they do own other sporting franchises mostly in North America (ice hockey, basketball and MLS) although they do have stakes in couple of Swedish and a couple of German ice hockey teams.

At the end of the day if AEG had the slightest interest in the Ricoh they would be dealing directly with ACL (as they already do) or taking directly to the council about a purchase, they have no need to have SISU involved taking a share of the profit. They have enough money that they could buy CCFC as part of a deal just to keep the council and Coventry public happy.

Ask yourself this, if AEG are so keen to move into Coventry why have we not heard a thing from them directly, all we ever hear is SISU saying they are going to bring them in. Its a bit like "we need the pie money", "we need the freehold". They seem to think if they repeat things often enough people will assume it is true.

Captain Dart

Presumably SISU have spoken to them like they spoke to local councils.:thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread