AFC or 1883 (1 Viewer)

ESB

So in this brave new world is it the idea to get straight back into bed with a monied investor? Or is it the plan to go for a German peoples model? Better still St Pauli esq, you could even have the brown away kit in homage to these bad boys.

ccfc92

Well RFC you don't seem to support CCFC either, bye

Did not read the additional message, only the 1883 or AFC, and was answering that. Personally CCFC all the way. But if it ceased, 1883 as the phoenix club

mark82

So in this brave new world is it the idea to get straight back into bed with a monied investor? Or is it the plan to go for a German peoples model? Better still St Pauli esq, you could even have the brown away kit in homage to these bad boys.

Should be fan owned for sure and that would need to be protected long term. Could maybe allow investment in the future up to 49%.

In terms of names I like City of Coventry FC and Coventry Singers FC. Don't mind Coventry 1883 FC too much although not my preferred. Idea would be a fan vote to decide.

skybluesam66

i think so the interest doesnt disappear we should set this off as soon as we kick off at northampton, so we have a team for 2014/15 season

deanocity3

Should be fan owned for sure and that would need to be protected long term. Could maybe allow investment in the future up to 49%.

In terms of names I like City of Coventry FC and Coventry Singers FC. Don't mind Coventry 1883 FC too much although not my preferred. Idea would be a fan vote to decide.

we have names like preston north end, queen of the south, Accrington Stanley, Hamilton academicals, all have strange names.
I like Sky Blues of Coventry. note wrong with that.

mark82

we have names like preston north end, queen of the south, Accrington Stanley, Hamilton academicals, all have strange names.

Yep, why not. Does what it says on the tin as they say.

NorthernWisdom

Yep, why not. Does what it says on the tin as they say.

I get that you only want to start the process, as a just in case... and I know I'm flogging a dead horse to you here ;)

But such clubs tend to work better (i.e. well) with as large a fanbase as possible, and no CCFC in existence helps that.

Wouldn't it be better to channel the efforts into getting the current one back for the moment? It won't be in existence in Northampton in a couple of years, it really won't be. It'll either be dead, back at the Ricoh, or we'll all have been proved wrong and amazingly a ground will rise before our eyes!

As the current club is 130 years old, it deserves a couple of years' grace at least before being pensioned off for a new model, doesn't it? In the grand scheme of things it's not much time to lose and a club can still be formed if needs be.

Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the book

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I get that you only want to start the process, as a just in case... and I know I'm flogging a dead horse to you here ;)

But such clubs tend to work better (i.e. well) with as large a fanbase as possible, and no CCFC in existence helps that.

Wouldn't it be better to channel the efforts into getting the current one back for the moment? It won't be in existence in Northampton in a couple of years, it really won't be. It'll either be dead, back at the Ricoh, or we'll all have been proved wrong and amazingly a ground will rise before our eyes!

As the current club is 130 years old, it deserves a couple of years' grace at least before being pensioned off for a new model, doesn't it? In the grand scheme of things it's not much time to lose and a club can still be formed if needs be.

So what are you going to do for two or three years or however long? when do you finally say its dead?

mark82

I agree to a certain extent. I think the ideal for everyone is CCFC at the Ricoh minus SISU. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. Not saying this should distract too much from other efforts but it is worth the time. If CCFC go belly up in June next year at least there will be something ready to put in place.

As I've said before, there is no need to be hasty but also don't want to miss the boat. This season not being able to watch my team is enough for me.

saltaire bantam

I liked 1883 for not only the obvious reason but that it would lend itself well to merchandise. But, I have to say that's a
cracking name, bit of a mouthful at first but evocative! :D

NorthernWisdom

So what are you going to do for two or three years or however long?

Fight for the club to come back, the same as Brighton, Charlton etc. successfully managed.

It'll either die (in which case the choice is out of our hands anyway) or come back (in which case... the choice is made for us anyway) so why jump feet first now? Surely it deserves a bit of time? Surely it deserves a bit more effort than giving up on it?

NorthernWisdom

If CCFC go belly up in June next year at least there will be something ready to put in place.

Yeah i appreciate that, but... there's also something to be said that if CCFC go bust it could help to have a big build up, focus people on the job of setting it up, something to look forward to... something everyone could be involved in without the bitterness around now.

then taster friendlies through a season, excitement of announcing manager, getting players drip in...

The season of setting it up could be an event in itself, that could harness a lot of positivity. That season could be an opportunity.

Have people exclusively focussed on it and it's an easier opportunity to harness.

Last edited:

mark82

Yeah i appreciate that, but... there's also something to be said that if CCFC go bust it could help to have a big build up, focus people on the job of setting it up, something to look forward to... something everyone could be involved in without the bitterness around now.

then taster friendlies through a season, excitement of announcing manager, getting players drip in...

The season of setting it up could be an event in itself, that could harness a lot of positivity. That season could be an opportunity.

Problem is a lot of people are ready now. A lot, the silent majority, may just drift away if there is no alternative.

To start with we need to watch what happens the next few weeks. That will dictate a lot.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Fight for the club to come back, the same as Brighton, Charlton etc. successfully managed.

It'll either die (in which case the choice is out of our hands anyway) or come back (in which case... the choice is made for us anyway) so why jump feet first now? Surely it deserves a bit of time? Surely it deserves a bit more effort than giving up on it?
Brighton and Charlton are completely different to our situation. I havent given up on my football club,my football club has given up on me

NorthernWisdom

Problem is a lot of people are ready now. A lot, the silent majority, may just drift away if there is no alternative.

But that's where the club as a series of 'events' works in getting people back.

It becomes news, it becomes something to get involved with.

At the moment it's just drip drip drip of negativity and, of the chance came for a small break, this could actually be a good thing to get more onside than now if done right.

The silent majority could drift back in bigger numbers than now if done right, and that doesn't necessarily mean just an instant on/off switch.

The challenge you have if the current club still exists, is the silent majority either think people have given up on it (not good if you want to encourage new buyers), or are confused to hell over which one to support so end up supporting neither.

mark82

At the end of the day it will never be everyone's cup of tea, but it would ALWAYS be there for the people of Coventry. That is something the existing club cannot say.

It's not just the moving out of Coventry for me it's also the bad business decisions over a number of years that have led to £70 million debt. The club has been living beyond its means for too long. Any business would struggle to come back from that debt.

NorthernWisdom

It's not just the moving out of Coventry for me it's also the bad business decisions over a number of years that have led to £70 million debt. The club has been living beyond its means for too long. Any business would struggle to come back from that debt.

Yeah I'm not arguing with you at all on that.

I do think if such things are to be done, it's best to give them the best chance of success however, and that sometimes needs looking at the bigger picture to make sure it does.

shmmeee

I agree that this can wait. We need to focus in getting the club back and fan ownership can be a good route to explore there to channel these feelings.

But just for fun:

Coventry 1883
100% fan owned until league football - 1 ST 1 vote
Start at the Butts
Promote a symbiotic relationship with other Cov sports teams and local business. Much like the Godiva Festival once was it should be a hub for promoting what's good about the city and local interests.
Club constitution that lays out strict financial guidelines (eg no debt)
Source ex-academy players, local players
Heavy links with local schools/ parks football
Focus on building a good coaching team and a club ethos at all levels

That'll do for now.

ESB

I like the constitution, and I like the idea of it being of the city & for the city.

I'd rather have a team clean of financial dopping, stable and not taking itself too seriously.

@richh87

I agree that this can wait. We need to focus in getting the club back and fan ownership can be a good route to explore there to channel these feelings.

But just for fun:

Coventry 1883
100% fan owned until league football - 1 ST 1 vote
Start at the Butts
Promote a symbiotic relationship with other Cov sports teams and local business. Much like the Godiva Festival once was it should be a hub for promoting what's good about the city and local interests.
Club constitution that lays out strict financial guidelines (eg no debt)
Source ex-academy players, local players
Heavy links with local schools/ parks football
Focus on building a good coaching team and a club ethos at all levels

That'll do for now.

I'm with you 100% on all of that

Monkeyface

I'm with Northern 100% here, which from memory is a rare thing! CCFC is our club, its Coventrys club and we should be doing everything we can to get it back. SISU, in my opinion will go before this new stadium Is realised. I also think all SB fans should join the Trust and lobby for fans representation on any new board. If, and only if, this fails and CCFC should no longer exist, then I would give my support to a Phoenix club. And in that instance, I would personally go for City of Coventry FC, but don't mind 1883 either.

Manchester_sky_blue

My problem with that is I can no longer support a SISU-owned CCFC. Regardless of where they play their football. They have stolen the heart of the club and made us a laughing stock, I see the 1883 project as a way to reclaim our club for the fans. I was against the idea of a phoenix club for a long time and like you wanted to CCFC to return and for things to be as they were but I now realise that we are not going to see the back of SISU anytime soon and if they do finally go it will be because the club ceases to be so this now feels the right time to start again.

Users who are viewing this thread