Ahhhh...a new season (1 Viewer)

Elton_Welby's_milkman

Despite the off the field antics, NOPM, "should I stay or should go now "and other issues I am buzzing for next week.. cant wait to the City in action again.. tuning into the radio on a Friday and Monday nights listening in after the games to hear reaction...How do my fellow supporters think we will do this season? I'm not sure if we are a stronger team then last season I don't know enough of the new signing to judge yet, I hope Jodi stays injury free and really starts to push on ( I believe he is slightly over rated to be honest) Hopefully a strong season for Max as well.....

PUSB..

Adge

If we get anywhere near 8th where we finished last season that will be a good achievement due to the “home” games scenario and the turn over of players again.

shmmeee

Playoffs or bust.

We’ve had a more settled squad who have had a full summer together compared to this time last year, our young players have had a years experience at this level and we seem to have added quality throughout the team. I expect two more signings up front as well once the Walker/Bright situations clear up one way or another.

We should also be playing on a better surface and if Sixfields is any indication in front of a more forgiving crowd.

I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: TTG

Skybluemichael

I think a top 6 the defenders can just defend without looking over the shoulder for the next burge mistake to clear up, should free them up to do there job, at the moment I predict a lot of 1-0 wins

kg82

Given the upheaval at the club, midtable would be an achievement.

I don’t know about this. The upheaval part, I mean. I assume you’re talking about us relocating? I don’t know if that will have much effect on performance. The only thing I’m worried about is integrating the new players - will they gel, are they better than what we had etc. I can’t judge that until I’ve seen them. I’m fairly positive for this season though, we’ve got most of our business done early, which is a bonus. I’m looking at playoffs and keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Liquid Gold

I think MR will ave a siege mentality around the place re the stadium situation and has had good backing to improve the squad. Given problems in the teams coming in to the league I'd be shocked if we were lower placed than last year. Knowing our luck that will mean 7th.

NorthernWisdom

I don’t know about this. The upheaval part, I mean. I assume you’re talking about us relocating? I don’t know if that will have much effect on performance. The only thing I’m worried about is integrating the new players - will they gel, are they better than what we had etc. I can’t judge that until I’ve seen them. I’m fairly positive for this season though, we’ve got most of our business done early, which is a bonus. I’m looking at playoffs and keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
Organisations that suffer upheaval tend to struggle to be, well... organised. This filters down throughout the place, as you're battling against the institution.

Not only that, but we'll have a worse budget and although the Burton CM is a cracking signing, the forward players we've brought in are unproven so currently it's best to expect nothing.

If we do well, then Robins has cemented his status as one of the best managers we've had, and it'll be despite the club, not because of it.
I think MR will ave a siege mentality around the place re the stadium situation
I don't disagree with this, and got to hope this sees us through and is the motivation!

Gibbo

It is all fine margins. We had the rub of the green last season with a number of one goal victories won by great bits of individual skill (Accrington A, Charlton H, Southend H). These could have just as easily been draws.
It is a team re-build for the 2nd time in 3 years - only Kelly & Hyam from 2017. But we will be tight at the back (all Robins teams are) - so no slump down the table.
Walker & Bright in the side and top 6 looks a real chance. Unless there is a big cultural change, we don't bully enough teams to get into the top 2.
Without them (or similar), few goals and safe mid-table.
Sell Bayliss to pay for them

kg82

Organisations that suffer upheaval tend to struggle to be, well... organised. This filters down throughout the place, as you're battling against the institution.

Not only that, but we'll have a worse budget and although the Burton CM is a cracking signing, the forward players we've brought in are unproven so currently it's best to expect nothing.

If we do well, then Robins has cemented his status as one of the best managers we've had, and it'll be despite the club, not because of it.

I don't disagree with this, and got to hope this sees us through and is the motivation!

Normal businesses, sure. Football isn’t a normal business though. Anything can happen. Look at Bury last year, loads of “upheaval” behind the scenes, but got promoted. Biting them in the arse now but I’m just pointing out anything can happen. And we’re not in as bad a position as Bury... yet!

Paul Anthony

I don't think the move will have that much of an effect on the players, in all honesty. They're playing football, and getting their wages for it.

That said, I still worry we've enough goals in us. Defence, I think we'll be OK.

Mask

It is all fine margins. We had the rub of the green last season with a number of one goal victories won by great bits of individual skill (Accrington A, Charlton H, Southend H). These could have just as easily been draws.

This stood out to me, too. Every team has these moments but talking about us specifically, last season could have easily been a mid-table finish if not for that. I think the promotion from League Two and bringing it Bright mid season gave us a confidence boost too.

I can see this year being a bit more of a subtle, building season and still don't see where the goals are going to come from just yet. Excited about some of our new players but it usually takes a while for a team to gel. I'd love for us to stay in the playoffs the whole time but I have a feeling we'll be mid-table this year.

Can't wait for it to all kick off though!

oucho

Playoffs or bust.

We’ve had a more settled squad who have had a full summer together compared to this time last year, our young players have had a years experience at this level and we seem to have added quality throughout the team. I expect two more signings up front as well once the Walker/Bright situations clear up one way or another.

We should also be playing on a better surface and if Sixfields is any indication in front of a more forgiving crowd.

I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Why is it 'bust' if we don't get in the play-offs? What if we get to the playoffs but don't end up going up?

JimmyHillsbeard

It is a team re-build for the 2nd time in 3 years - only Kelly & Hyam from 2017. But we will be tight at the back (all Robins teams are) - so no slump down the table.
Walker & Bright in the side and top 6 looks a real chance. Unless there is a big cultural change, we don't bully enough teams to get into the top 2.

Yes they might have been draws, but they also might have been more significant wins. And some of the single goal defeats (Burton at home for example) should have been draws too.

Certainly Accrington A should have been a comfortable win. 3-0 to us would not have been unfair. In fact Hiwula scored a great goal that was disallowed because the linesman flagged for the ball going out of play when replays suggest it did not.

Magwitch

Getting to the play-off final is a certainty, as i and most of the family jet off to the other side of the world that day. ☹️☹️

shmmeee

I think MR will ave a siege mentality around the place re the stadium situation and has had good backing to improve the squad. Given problems in the teams coming in to the league I'd be shocked if we were lower placed than last year. Knowing our luck that will mean 7th.

Speaking to someone who knows coaching staff, that’s exactly what he’s done.

ccfcway

They now have a bowling pitch to play on so no more moaning about the pitch losing us games.
A new keeper so no more howlers at the back.
So by that alone should do better then last term.

Ricoh pitch was poor, but it was our home. St. Andrews is a neutral venue. Over the season, It’s puts the opposition at an advantage

skyblue025

I think it’s a year of consolidation ahead. If we get in the top 8 we will if done well. I can’t see us scoring enough goals to make top 6 unless the 2 new wingers really rip it up or we sign some attacking players. Without Bright last season I doubt we would of made top 10. He made a massive difference.

Gibbo

Robins has not had a dud season so is due one, but on the basis of today, we will be a better footballing side and if we play 4-2-3-1, are less likely to be out muscled in the midfield. Anywhere 5th-10th, depending on the rub of the green.

wince

Sadly no buzz for me hope we do well like Northampton but I won't be there , but hope they do well pusb

ccfcway

Sadly no buzz for me hope we do well like Northampton but I won't be there , but hope they do well pusb

i dindt go to any "home" games in northampton but am going to at least one this time. How it goes on Sat (how i feel as opposed to the result) will deterimne if i go to "home" games again or choose to go to away games only this season

Sky Blue Pete

They now have a bowling pitch to play on so no more moaning about the pitch losing us games.
A new keeper so no more howlers at the back.
So by that alone should do better then last term.
Some on here will claim Burge cost us 15 points so adding those top 6 easy even with the lack of goals. In all seriousness really hoping Marosi will be a solid keeper and if so that will improve our chances no end

ccfcway

It's not like The Ricoh has ever been a fortress for us.

Our best displays over the past few seasons have mainly been away from home.

Last 2 seaosns, you may well be right.

18-19- 11th best home record last season and 7th best away
17-18 - 7th best home record in legue two promotion season and 6th best away
16-17 - 20th best home and 24th (bottom) away record the year we went down

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Ricoh pitch was poor, but it was our home. St. Andrews is a neutral venue. Over the season, It’s puts the opposition at an advantage

Why? A lot of our players haven't played at the Ricoh. So for them after a few games settling in and getting into the routine St Andrews for those players will be 'home'. Even for those retained players they'll quickly get into the new routine and familiarise themselves with the surroundings and staff there. And even thouogh the crowd will be smaller it will be the more vocal and 'supportive' ones making the trip potentially creating a much better overall atmosphere rather than have someone on their back from minute one because they've picked their boo-boy who can do nothing right and shout unhelpful things like 'lump it' and 'shoot' the second it pass the halfway line.

Grendel

i dindt go to any "home" games in northampton but am going to at least one this time. How it goes on Sat (how i feel as opposed to the result) will deterimne if i go to "home" games again or choose to go to away games only this season

Who gives a fuck what you think?

runner

I don't think the move will have that much of an effect on the players, in all honesty. They're playing football, and getting their wages for it.

That said, I still worry we've enough goals in us. Defence, I think we'll be OK.

My concern too ... we just haven't solved the goal scoring problem ... not unless Bright and Taylor arrive soon ...

oucho

One of the great things about anticipating a new season is wondering which of the new signings will turn out to be crowd favourites and inevitably offloaded to keep the club afloat (cue fans citing their name in future over optimistic transfer speculation) and which will turn out to be duds.

Johhny Blue

You missed Charlton Away

ccfcway

Why? A lot of our players haven't played at the Ricoh. So for them after a few games settling in and getting into the routine St Andrews for those players will be 'home'. Even for those retained players they'll quickly get into the new routine and familiarise themselves with the surroundings and staff there. And even thouogh the crowd will be smaller it will be the more vocal and 'supportive' ones making the trip potentially creating a much better overall atmosphere rather than have someone on their back from minute one because they've picked their boo-boy who can do nothing right and shout unhelpful things like 'lump it' and 'shoot' the second it pass the halfway line.

not sure why more clubs don't do it then ?

Just my opinion, but don't agree at all that St Andrews will be a better atmosphere and also don't agree its the more vocal ones. I didn't go to sixfields, but the one person I know who did said it was very quiet ?

Not being confrontational, but you might be lucky and we might benefit from this "Home" advantage without the moaning fans for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread