All purpose cricket thread (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

england declared too early

8 wickets down, jsut tell the last batsman to play like its a t20 game

worse case scenario you spend extra 5-10 mins and everyone gets out quickly

best case scenario you spend a extra 20-30 mins at crease yet add 50 odd to total

372 looks a lot more daunting than 322 to chase

chiefdave

Looks like Cook hasn't bothered with any catching practice since his drops in the last test. Anderson must be fuming.

chiefdave

I think Westley has just cancelled his plane ticket to Aus
There's a few more that need not bother making the trip. These last two tests are really showing England up as a poor side. West Indies arrived in a complete shambles and can't even pick their strongest team due to contract disputes.

The next test match is the opening match of the Ashes and there's only 3 rounds of county championship matches left for these players to find some form or to scout out some replacements. This series should have been about fine tuning the side, now it looks like major changes are needed.

At least there will be little need to get up in the middle of the night this winter. Series has got 5-0 written all over it.

Otis

Surely there is not THAT much in the Lord's pitch here?

14 wickets down and it's not even the end of the first day yet.

Covstu

Surely there is not THAT much in the Lord's pitch here?

14 wickets down and it's not even the end of the first day yet.
Crazy day, returned to normal smashing a poor side off the park but our batting has been appalling having said that the light is awful.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Like I said before England have 7
guaranteed starters -

Cook
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Anderson
Broad (who's horribly out of form)

Malan, Woakes & TRJ will definitely go

Pick a squad of 16 best of the rest send them with the Lions to Aus and pick the squad on who's in form.

Otis

Looks like it could be like a one dayer in the second innings this, unless we can get a lead of 70 plus.

Last edited:

Otis

The last time both teams scored less than 150 in the first innings test at Lords apparently was 1936!

Otis

And phew! England pass 150.

Lead now 29. Get it to 50 and it should give England the slight edge.

chiefdave

That knock by Broad, and Anderson sticking around with him for a bit, could prove vital.

What are peoples thoughts on the theory the experts are throwing around that its not the pitch but the lights making it hard to bat. Doesn't seem to be much detail, I guess the heat from the light combining with the moisture thats around? If that's true then surely you can't have more day / night tests.

lifeskyblue

I reckon that could be enough. All rests on how WIndies start second innings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Fantastic way for Jimmy to bring up the 500!
Biggest part of the wicket was the fact he smiled!!
He's going to be a tough one to replace!

Ranjit Bhurpa

That knock by Broad, and Anderson sticking around with him for a bit, could prove vital.

What are peoples thoughts on the theory the experts are throwing around that its not the pitch but the lights making it hard to bat. Doesn't seem to be much detail, I guess the heat from the light combining with the moisture thats around? If that's true then surely you can't have more day / night tests.
I'm sure the experts were also saying it's more down to excessive movement through the air than off the pitch. Might be linked then to the lights and atmospheric conditions?
Also Lords isn't normally selected for Tests in September, the one day finals records in recent years suggests winning the toss and putting your opponents in influences the result as much as anything.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

What a 2nd wicket for Anderson even better than Stokes beauty yesterday!

West Indies 2 behind 3 down would have prob taken that at the start of this innings!

England need to keep them under a 200-220 max chase!

Otis

Going to be close I think. Can't have the Windies build any meaningful partnerships.

Think it needs to be no more than a 220 chase.

Ranjit Bhurpa

What a 2nd wicket for Anderson even better than Stokes beauty yesterday!

West Indies 2 behind 3 down would have prob taken that at the start of this innings!

England need to keep them under a 200-220 max chase!
The Super Saturday treble could be on - England to wrap up the victory after tea, City to beat Vale 2-0 and Cov Rugger beating Mose by 20pts?

Ranjit Bhurpa

Can you bet on Covs rugby level? I've never been able to find it? I had a look for winner outright odds a few weeks back and couldn't find anything.
Just had a look on Bet365 but they don't seem to cover below the Championship.
If you live in Cov, maybe do it the old fashioned way, pop in to a local bookie (if there are any left) rather than the big chain bookies, betting slip in hand with a crisp tenner and ask them for the best odds. They might have a better idea of odds and I'm sure they wouldn't turn away any cash that walks in the shop.

Otis

Still a bit in the balance, though England obviously favourites, but even 150 I wouldn't be sure of us chasing on this wicket. There's definitely something in it for the bowlers.

Lead is 36. Need a couple more wickets before they get close to 100 lead I would say.

Otis

107 to win for England.

Would take a horrendous batting collapse to bugger this up surely.

Should be absolutely stacks of gaps to exploit in the field, the Windies needing multiple wickets in a short space of time and therefore total all out attack.

Grendel

If England failed again Root would have to stand down

Users who are viewing this thread