ALL TIME CCFC XI (since the late 80s) (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

If we are using late 80s as the start point my team would be;

Oggy
Nilsson, Peake, Kilcline, Babb
Gallacher, Speedie, McAllister, Ndlovu
Dublin, Keane

Attack attack attack! That would entertain, mark my words.

KG7

Wilson scored his goals during one season in Divison 3. Dion scored 72 goals in something like 172 matches against PL defenders. How you can even try and make a case for Wilson over Dublin is frankly ridiculous.

I just didn't like him. I used to sit in the East Stand as a kid thinking 'Dublin's having another shit game, he's not won a header, he's not putting any effort in, and then people would chirp up with that dogshit song that we stole off the Villa. Granted, he did occasionally turn it on, but only once over a full season, when his contract was running down.

I'm not saying Wilson's better but in the team that we had, against the players they were playing against, I preferred watching Wilson than Dublin.

I did think he was great at the back though, but he's not getting in ahead of Peake.

KG7

You sir, must have had shit in your eyes.

Ha, Im not trying to convince you. I know I was in the minority but that's how I saw it. nothing more frustrating than having a player with talent who only turns it on when he wants. Id go for months waiting for him to have a good game and have to listen to everyone going nuts about him.

shmmeee

Ha, Im not trying to convince you. I know I was in the minority but that's how I saw it. nothing more frustrating than having a player with talent who only turns it on when he wants. Id go for months waiting for him to have a good game and have to listen to everyone going nuts about him.

You sure it was Dion Dublin and not Paul Williams you were watching?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Oggy
Nillson Breen dann Fox
Partridge mcallister thompson whelan
Dion keane

torchomatic

I'm not a fan either, but more for his well-documented refusal to play at Luton.

kg82

It used to wind me up that everyone loved Dublin. This is how I remember him (97/98 aside)...

He would have a flurry of games where he'd dominate defenders and score a shit load of goals, then he'd be gash for the remainder of the season and barely win a header.

Same with McAllister, shit for a season, injured for a season and a half, class for a season, then he fucked off! (Interesting that our best season while he was here was when he was injured).

Keane was class for half a season and then went off the boil.

These are just my favourite players - Wilson is in because he was exciting and consistent over the course of the season - ie he had no dips in form. Same with Robson. I might even swap Nuddy with Whelan...

Burrows is about the best left back we've had that I can remember (I nearly went with Fox) - other than that it's been a dull position for us. If I was going 442 I'd drop Ndlovu and put Brian Borrows at left back!

No. Just no! Dublin was the best striker I've seen and McAllister the best central midfielder - at this club anyway. Keane was also class.

davebart

Disagree with the term 'ALL TIME' when it starts in 1980. Of course CCFC didn't exist before you were born. God knows what I was watching before then. Maybe I just imagined players like George Curtis. Willie Carr. Bill Glazier. Tommy Hutchinson. Terry Yorath. etc etc

Joy Division

Really quite strange, obviously your view and that but Dublin was probably the most consistant good performers during that era. Wasn't that often he had a bad game. McAllister however, great player for us in the Championship but very average for us in during the Premiership years.

Evo1883

I liked dublin , always caused problems for defenders , and we certainly havent had a forward of his calibre for a fair few years now .
the goal against newcastle at HR will always be remembered , what was given doing haha

KG7

Disagree with the term 'ALL TIME' when it starts in 1980. Of course CCFC didn't exist before you were born. God knows what I was watching before then. Maybe I just imagined players like George Curtis. Willie Carr. Bill Glazier. Tommy Hutchinson. Terry Yorath. etc etc

It was a joke! How can anyone honestly put together an All Time XI?!?

KG7

No. Just no! Dublin was the best striker I've seen and McAllister the best central midfielder - at this club anyway. Keane was also class.

Ha, 'No. Just no' pretty much sums up how I feel when I hear people bang on about them.

Grendel

Grendel

It was a joke! How can anyone honestly put together an All Time XI?!?

You can't do one on the timescale you have set so you are probably correct

Grendel

One season I thought Keane didn't score a single goal away from home. Not sure but I think so.

kg82

Really quite strange, obviously your view and that but Dublin was probably the most consistant good performers during that era. Wasn't that often he had a bad game. McAllister however, great player for us in the Championship but very average for us in during the Premiership years.

Average?! The last 2 seasons he was with us he was excellent. Granted, when he first joined he wasn't doing the business. Remember him getting an injury at HR (cruciate ligament maybe) and after he came back he was brilliant. Hence the move he got to Liverpool. I actually thought he was average in the Champ, but it was more because he was getting on a bit!

Grendel

He was only with us one season

Yes I know. Did he score any goals away from high field road? I may have imagined it but seem seem to recall that as a fact but may be an urban myth

Grendel

Chipfat

GK Oggy
RB Roland
CB Gilliespie
CB Peake
LB S Pearce

MD Bennett
MD Wise
MD Hadji

FW Huckerby
FW Keane
FW Dublin

Subs

B Burrows
M Gynn
P Ndlovu
R Shaw
G MacAllister
C Kirkland

Covcraig@bury

Oggy
Bugsy-Peake-dion-Psyco
Wheelan-Yorath-macallaster-ndlovu-Hudson-Hutchinson-.

Neilson
Hunt
Huckerby
Babb
Stien
Westerwood
Speedier
McGrath
Bennett
Big mo

speedie87

Sticking to since late 80'sBest

Oggy
nilsson atherton babb
Gynn mcalister boateng smith
dublin Keane

my favourites

oggy
nilsson babb davenport sansom
Boateng
Ndlovu speedie mcsheffrey
Whelan huckerby

Sky Blue Harry H

It used to wind me up that everyone loved Dublin. This is how I remember him (97/98 aside)...

He would have a flurry of games where he'd dominate defenders and score a shit load of goals, then he'd be gash for the remainder of the season and barely win a header.

Same with McAllister, shit for a season, injured for a season and a half, class for a season, then he fucked off! (Interesting that our best season while he was here was when he was injured).

Keane was class for half a season and then went off the boil.

These are just my favourite players - Wilson is in because he was exciting and consistent over the course of the season - ie he had no dips in form. Same with Robson. I might even swap Nuddy with Whelan...

Burrows is about the best left back we've had that I can remember (I nearly went with Fox) - other than that it's been a dull position for us. If I was going 442 I'd drop Ndlovu and put Brian Borrows at left back!

It was bugging me who you've got Dion mixed up with - I'm going with Clive Platt, having quickly eliminated Micky Gynn:D

Users who are viewing this thread