An outline idea for a change of CCFC ownership (1 Viewer)

The Philosopher

Ryton won't get permission for housing.

Tricky beast, planning permission. Can be got around with certain types of developments (care homes, Accademy (not sporting) etc.). Get the right angle presented to the right Council....

I keep expecting SISU to be smarter than they have shown.

The Philosopher

At a guess this is where the idea of building a whole new complex rather than just stadium has come from. Its a shame CCC and the club aren't on better terms, with the main sports centre closing down a joint development on a new facility as part of the stadium complex would be ideal. Would also incentivise CCC to ensure any new stadium location has good public transport links.

I agree, the whole thing seems to make sense. Just need a bit of a can-do attitude about all of this.

I still think a change of Council is needed.

Bennets Afro

Just thinking aloud on a Sunday afternoon really but as there seems near universal agreement that we won't progress under sisu but that just saying 'sisu out' won't bring about change here are some thoughts on an outline idea as to how to bring about a change of ownership - certainly not a detailed action plan - and I'll live in hope of other people filling in the gaps and some reasoned debate!

1. Set up a Community Interest Company called something like 'Coventry City Interim' (CCI) whose aim would be to secure ownership of CCFC from sisu and transition to a new ownership model to benefit the community. 2. Tell sisu if they hand over CCFC debt free to CCI they will get a lump sum payment when we get promoted to the Championship and a further lump sum when we get promoted to the Premier League, the combined total far exceeding what they are able to take out of CCFC at the moment [rough figures are easy to work out but someone might want to work it out in more detail - might even be able to chuck in a small immediate sweetener].
3. If sisu refuse the offer, it is left on the table but a full scale sisu out campaign is launched (the sixfields campaign was a huge success, sisu's weak spots are well known so the tactics aren't rocket science - and they don't require pitch invasions)
4. sisu finally see sense and accept the offer so ownership of CCFC passes to the interim company.
5. The interim financing of the club would be down to fans ie with sisu gone nopm-ers would be under pressure to return and buy season tickets. A simple approach would be to have pledges and even deposits in place against which a short-term loan would be available from sympathetic parties.
6. CCI then calls for bids for CCFC knowing that a supporters' share scheme would raise as much as somewhere like Portsmouth and that there are a fair few local business people who would be willing to invest sums of around half a million each.
7. The new ownership model takes over CCFC.

8. With new momentum behind CCFC and strong popular support, negotiations with Wasps about securing income streams for CCFC and profits to be made from the Ricoh would begin from a position of strength (and having forced the Ricoh return and sisu out, Wasps would be wise at that point to listen very carefully!)

Nothing id like more than sisu out but telling sisu they have to hand over the club? are you for real? obvious you and the trust are behind this campaign with hoffman and elliot. sisu finally see sense?????

The trust have wasted years not getting a fighting fund in place. the trust have spent so many years fighting against our owners and cosying up to anyone that offers any chance of them leaving and a position of power, that they have lost focus on what is important@

we have lost all chance of owning any part of the ricoh but instead of a NOPM against wasps and hoping they fail so CCFC have a chance of buying into the ricoh, the trust suck on the wasps tail strings. the trust is so not fit for purpose!!!!!!!!

wingy

Nothing id like more than sisu out but telling sisu they have to hand over the club? are you for real? obvious you and the trust are behind this campaign with hoffman and elliot. sisu finally see sense?????

The trust have wasted years not getting a fighting fund in place. the trust have spent so many years fighting against our owners and cosying up to anyone that offers any chance of them leaving and a position of power, that they have lost focus on what is important@

we have lost all chance of owning any part of the ricoh but instead of a NOPM against wasps and hoping they fail so CCFC have a chance of buying into the ricoh, the trust suck on the wasps tail strings. the trust is so not fit for purpose!!!!!!!!

You're paranoid!!!!

Bennets Afro

the trust need to do what they claim to do and protect this football club. not cosy up to rugby teams in the premise that if the wasps buy cov they get a place on the board. start representing the fans you claim to represent and stop look after your own individual agendas

oldfiver

Def Warwickshire ;)

Rugby Borough Council and yes, McGinnity tried to flog it for housing. Well, he'd sold everything else...

This was sold first!! Note the Director who was involved - now Owner of Jersey RFC and was only at the Ricoh once lately for the Gillingham game - he said!

From SBT 2012

City acquired the old mining gravel pit site at Ryton in the early 1960s when the club’s then property consultant Harvey Williams identified it for visionary manager Jimmy Hill who wanted the players to train away from Highfield Road.

After Hill and then chairman Derrick Robins invited the owner, Alderman Featherstone-Dilke, to a match they came to an agreement to buy the then 25 acre plot – which included the land where the Sky Blue Connexion sports centre now stands – for £10,000 to be paid at £1,000 a year for ten years with no interest.

Then when Hill returned as chairman in 1980 he decided to develop the site further and the club gained a Duke of Edinburgh grant to build the sports centre, which was later sold by chairman John Poynton for just under £100,000 because it was losing too much money, but the club kept the remaining land including the Sky Blue Lodge which is City’s current training ground.

oldfiver

Ryton is Rugby Borough Council. Didn't the application for houses come out in the first round of FOI's?

By Chris Smith Thursday 16 January 2014 Updated: 16/01 11:37

covfc_trainin_c1888871_14116_5.jpg
The club aimed to sell off the land back in 2005.

A NEW attempt by Coventry City Football Club to sell off its training ground in Ryton for houses has been blocked.
The Observer can reveal the proposal was discussed by top brass at the council and club officials at a meeting late last year as the club investigates ways of funding a new stadium and academy.
It was a plan first mooted almost ten years ago in 2005 when then chairman Mike McGinnity made tentative enquiries over changing the status of the land from protected green belt to free it up for redevelopment.
But it faced opposition from the parish council and the borough council, which has planning control over the site, and went no further.
Speaking to us this week borough council leader Craig Humphrey confirmed the club had floated the idea again.
"To pay for whatever they want to do they proposed a trade off of housing on their current site in Ryton which is green belt and that is what is not acceptable to us," he said.
"If they want to come to Rugby with proposals for locations for a stadium or training complex then great, we're happy to talk but there is always a trade off and the trade off was they wanted to build on Ryton.
"That land is not within our Core Strategy and we said to them that it was unacceptable."
A supporters' forum was held late last week to discuss the club's new stadium proposals with no return to the Ricoh looking imminently likely.
The club has declined to comment on the meeting with Rugby council and rumours about possible locations for the stadium which have previously included the Brandon speedway stadium, also inside Rugby's boundary.

Read more: City's aim for 'Ryton training ground sale' blocked | Coventry Observer

MichaelCCFC

Are the alternative options proposed as follows? - the in match/after match pitch invasion ideas on FB and twitter respectively; believing/hoping wasps will buy ccfc; or hope for some change in sisu's approach/resign yourself to the slow death of ccfc. tbh can't say any of these fill me with hope for the future.

Nick

Administrator
Are the alternative options proposed as follows? - the in match/after match pitch invasion ideas on FB and twitter respectively; believing/hoping wasps will buy ccfc; or hope for some change in sisu's approach/resign yourself to the slow death of ccfc. tbh can't say any of these fill me with hope for the future.

The alternative options to which options?

We need these consortiums who want to buy us, millionaire businessmen who want to invest 500k to come out and get the fans behind them if they really are that good for the club and really will take us forward. I can't see a fan who wouldn't back them if they were actually going to do well for the club.

MichaelCCFC

The alternative options to which options?

We need these consortiums who want to buy us, millionaire businessmen who want to invest 500k to come out and get the fans behind them if they really are that good for the club and really will take us forward. I can't see a fan who wouldn't back them if they were actually going to do well for the club.

Bit of a chicken and egg one. Having seen our different owners over the last two decades and what's happening with other clubs eg Blackpool, Leeds etc etc I have no faith in some rich person coming along and delivering our dreams - Chelsea and Man C are notable because they are the exceptions to the rule. Learning from others, the Swansea story exemplifies positive change being initiated by fans and then people with more money who share the vision come in with shared values not being the big I am.

Ian1779

Bit of a chicken and egg one. Having seen our different owners over the last two decades and what's happening with other clubs eg Blackpool, Leeds etc etc I have no faith in some rich person coming along and delivering our dreams - Chelsea and Man C are notable because they are the exceptions to the rule. Learning from others, the Swansea story exemplifies positive change being initiated by fans and then people with more money who share the vision come in with shared values not being the big I am.

Isn't your idea essentially about the Trust being the 'big I am'? or the 'fan' with the deepest pockets becomes king.

Ian1779

No. Look around this country and abroad and there are lots of different models to adopt/adapt as the best one for us.

Several of those models are supported by some kind of governance.. especially in other countries. I've seen your model in place at Rushden & Diamonds and we know how that ended.

Whichever way you dress it up, there has to be someone with access to a large amount of capital at a moments notice to have any kind of fan or community led model. Which essentially will take you back to a wealthy owner model like we have now.

Moff

My outline idea is win the huge rollover on the Euromillions, buy the bastards out, and give it large Danny Dyer style, oi oi I own a football club.

Is this too optimistic?

MichaelCCFC

Several of those models are supported by some kind of governance.. especially in other countries. I've seen your model in place at Rushden & Diamonds and we know how that ended.

Whichever way you dress it up, there has to be someone with access to a large amount of capital at a moments notice to have any kind of fan or community led model. Which essentially will take you back to a wealthy owner model like we have now.

Swansea are a v interesting example of how the wealthy input came after fans got their club progressing and has been very much about supporting the fan-led vision.

Some believe we can make progress with sisu as owners. Others say sisu are not interested in footballing success, are not investing, are squeezing out any money they can and with the overall set up being based on the ability to liquidate at short notice. There does appear to be an absence of evidence to support the former view with the facts of the matter in reality pointing to the latter. That means exploring other options actually becomes necessary if ccfc is to survive (I don't share the view that it would be a doddle to resurrect the club after liquidation).

MichaelCCFC

And watching tonight's game John Green is of course another v interesting story

Grendel

Swansea are a v interesting example of how the wealthy input came after fans got their club progressing and has been very much about supporting the fan-led vision.

Some believe we can make progress with sisu as owners. Others say sisu are not interested in footballing success, are not investing, are squeezing out any money they can and with the overall set up being based on the ability to liquidate at short notice. There does appear to be an absence of evidence to support the former view with the facts of the matter in reality pointing to the latter. That means exploring other options actually becomes necessary if ccfc is to survive (I don't share the view that it would be a doddle to resurrect the club after liquidation).

Swansea is an example of the local council bending over backwards to support the local team.

The trust board membership is irrelevant. Still I'm sure if the trust hierarchy keep sticking their head up Njckys arse they will end up with a seat on the wasps board -- on nickys lap probably.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Swansea is an example of the local council bending over backwards to support the local team.

The trust board membership is irrelevant. Still I'm sure if the trust hierarchy keep sticking their head up Njckys arse they will end up with a seat on the wasps board -- on nickys lap probably.

When have they? Paid for their own tickets albeit cheaper through one of their mates who works for your company,but you keep it up Grendeweren't you one of the people who said they had no interest in rugby but now taking it out of people going to a rugby game. Anyway what are you doing on here haven't you got 1200 people to get in touch with?

Steve.B50

I go to Wasps games, go to Cov Rugby games as well,I also go to England Rugby games.
If you do not like it tough, am still going to go.
its idiots like you that cause so much hassle on these forums.

covmark

I go to Wasps games, go to Cov Rugby games as well,I also go to England Rugby games.
If you do not like it tough, am still going to go.
its idiots like you that cause so much hassle on these forums.
What do you expect. You are on the board of a trust that actively protested against a club being moved away from its fanbase.
Now you are supporting a club that has been moved away from its fanbase.
You are a hypocrite of the highest order.

Limey

I believe the best way to change ownership is to PACK the Ricoh. Show some potential buyer there is a club worth taking on.

Boycott is the worst idea ever imo (but was 100% right for Sixfields).

Steve.B50

What do you expect. You are on the board of a trust that actively protested against a club being moved away from its fanbase.

I like Rugby, it's my first sport. I am a steward at the a Rugby World Cup.
i do not support Wasps but yes I go. Call me what you like I do not give a shit anymore.
Everyone knows who I am, where to find me if not happy come and talk to me.
Our club is almost dead and I am at the stage of joining the thousands who have walked away, some never to return.
More than happy to step down from Trust.

Ian1779

I like Rugby, it's my first sport. I am a steward at the a Rugby World Cup.
i do not support Wasps but yes I go. Call me what you like I do not give a shit anymore.
Everyone knows who I am, where to find me if not happy come and talk to me.
Our club is almost dead and I am at the stage of joining the thousands who have walked away, some never to return.
More than happy to step down from Trust.

Can you not even see at least the hypocritical nature of what you are saying?

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Your'e right hes on the board of a football club trust not rugby,ice hockey,bowls,curling or any other sport. Now if you're that bothered then start a Wasps Trust.

Steve.B50

Can you not even see at least the hypocritical nature of what you are saying?

Firstly, I like having first class Rugby in Covetry, secondly I do not think of it as Franchise, thirdly nothing we can do about it so why not accept it?
We had a choice and had a home yet moved away.
You are a small minority who do not want this club to be in Coventry, yet if you ask the Wasps fans they will tell you the true thoughts.
With regards to being a hypocrite, if that's what I am so what. Like I said earlier, no longer give a shit.

Ian1779

Firstly, I like having first class Rugby in Covetry, secondly I do not think of it as Franchise, thirdly nothing we can do about it so why not accept it?
You are a small minority who do not want this club to be in Coventry, yet if you ask the Wasps fans they will tell you the true thoughts.
With regards to being a hypocrite, if that's what I am so what. Like I said earlier, no longer give a shit.

CCFC were never, ever in danger of being a franchise.. yet you led protests against the club being removed from it's home city - and rightly so.

Yet when Wasps do the same you seem to ignore that they have done exactly the same to their original fanbase... but now you fully support it.

Assuming you cite the financial case for Wasps moving to Coventry - then your opposition against us going to Sixfields was misplaced, as we now have a better deal at the Ricoh deal than we had before we went.

Nick

Administrator
Of course it is a franchise, they had a choice too.

When a prem team get shipped in it would be ok too?

Nothing we could do about sixfields but look at what happened to people who went to watch there...

Why is it always about minority and majority? Can't people think for themselves?

What is going to happen when coventry move to Nuneaton to survive, will you be backing that too? Of course not, because rugby is different...

Steve.B50

CCFC were never, ever in danger of being a franchise.. yet you led protests against the club being removed from it's home city - and rightly so.

Yet when Wasps do the same you seem to ignore that they have done exactly the same to their original fanbase... but now you fully support it.

Assuming you cite the financial case for Wasps moving to Coventry - then your opposition against us going to Sixfields was misplaced, as we now have a better deal at the Ricoh deal than we had before we went.

I felt I could do something to change what had happend with City, nothing I can do to change what has gone on with the Wasps, they own our ground, they play in Coventry full stop.
You would be shocked how many City fans were going to Wasps games.
With regards to those who went to SIxfields, I agree at first I did not understand why anyone went, but after talking and discussing the situation I accepted in my own mind why some went. I stood on the hill every home game, that was my personal protest, those who know me will confirm I still chatted to everyone who went in. My mates went to games at Northhampton they are still my friends.

Nick

Administrator
I felt I could do something to change what had happend with City, nothing I can do to change what has gone on with the Wasps, they own our ground, they play in Coventry full stop.
You would be shocked how many City fans were going to Wasps games.
With regards to those who went to SIxfields, I agree at first I did not understand why anyone went, but after talking and discussing the situation I accepted in my own mind why some went. I stood on the hill every home game, that was my personal protest, those who know me will confirm I still chatted to everyone who went in. My mates went to games at Northhampton they are still my friends.
Nothing you can do but support them? That doesn't really make much sense :(

Users who are viewing this thread