Andy Thorn favourite for the chop (1 Viewer)

Gallagher

According to the bookies, Andy Thorn is the pre-season favourite to get the sack first next season. Do you think there is any particular reason for this? Or is it just because he is inexperienced and unproven at this level?

Personally I think it's the latter and I reckon he'll surprise a few people this season, it's the first time in a long time that i've had full confidence in a new manager.

Source: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/next-manager-to-leave-post

Lennonator5

Coventry are third favourite to go down on Sky Bet... they've looked at our current squad, (lack of) signings and the players we've lost and made assumptions on that - which is fair enough! ... and what comes hand-in-hand with losing most of your games... your manager gets the sack!! So I can see why they have Andy Thorn up there as one of the favourites to get the chop... however, I doubt (1) City will do 'that' bad for Thorn to get sacked and, (2) if City do do 'that' bad, another team with higher expectations will sack their manager before Coventry sack Thorn!

Hopefully, we'll come to none of this though and be flying with Thorny... tough season ahead though... PUSB!

skyblueinBaku

I think it's because we sacked Boothroyd when we went through a run of bad results, and somee bookies are expecting us to have a bad run that lasts all season. Don't take any notice.

CovScott88

They are just simply basing it on the fact we have finished in the bottom 3rd for the past few seasons, have lost 3 key players, AT is un-tested in management and we have a habit of sacking managers every 10 months. Wouldn't read into it too much.

dazzled2u

Let's face it our recent history for sacking managers isn't good!
Chances are the season is going to be very tough with the squad we have and the easist scape-goat will be Andy Thorn - but there again if they sack him there's nobody left to replace him with as no replacements have been made ther either. Next manager could be one of the ball boys! :D

CovScott88

Let's face it our recent history for sacking managers isn't good!
Chances are the season is going to be very tough with the squad we have and the easist scape-goat will be Andy Thorn - but there again if they sack him there's nobody left to replace him with as no replacements have been made ther either. Next manager could be one of the ball boys! :D

I'll throw my hat into the ring!

AmyandAdamsDad

I think he would be more likely to resign,especially if his captian is sold.
Given the total lack of backing he's Been Given by a board that are struggling to cover the wage bill.
I think the bookies may be sniffing this.

tippex9

We remind me very much of Preston at this time last year, look how that turned out for club and manager.

I hope Thorn can do a Blackpool, they were favourites for the drop the year they went up but that's a longshot. We're firmly in the role we had in the prem, survival is the only aim. That didn't go well for most of those managers.

chiefdave

I think they've just picked up on the squad strength and assume we will struggle which we most likely will. The difference this year could be that the fans won't turn on Thorn the way they have on past managers as they know he has no money to spend and is stuck with what he's got. The board won't want to get rid of him and have another pay off and the cost of getting someone else in so no matter what I wouldn't be surprised if he's still here this time next year.

edgy

I've never seen a poor bookie.

Here's another suggestion..... maybe they see new ownership usually brings new management.....

The Reverend Skyblue

Absolutely no chance Thorny being first as we have no expectation for the forthcoming season except survival.How can SISU expect Thorny to do well with no investment in the team,even they can see that surely,can't they !!
Chairmans of clubs who have spent a few bob and have high expectations of the season will wield the axe as soon as they start to stutter.We have Leicester,West Ham,Forest,Cardiff who think they will go up, so i'm going for Sven or a big Sam at West Ham as the first to go, especially because of the 3 nutters who own the Hammers

The Rev

rob9872

I wouldn't be too concerned. The sack race in the Championship is not exactly a liquid market, especially by comparison to the Premier League. The odds will be skinny on all those they rightly fear are possibles and are running scared of inside trading. I would love to see what % the total book is running at, but would be amazed if it's less than 200%.

cloughie

Absolutely no chance Thorny being first as we have no expectation for the forthcoming season except survival.How can SISU expect Thorny to do well with no investment in the team,even they can see that surely,can't they !!

The Rev

I wouldn't bet on that, they can't see further than their pockets

Users who are viewing this thread