Anthony Joshua (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just how good is he?

skybluetony176

Fast hands for a heavyweight. Big question is can he take a punch. Not really been tested in that score as a pro so no idea if he has a glass jaw or skin that rips like paper. A great prospect though. Better than Fury I would say.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yeah there was a rumour that David price knocked him out in sparring
He looks a good prospect

Juggernaut

Good prospect, but he's getting too much hype. He has an Olympic gold medal (which he never should have won, Erislandy Savon of Cuba boxed his ears off in the first round) and so far he's done what's expected of him in the pro ranks. Ovbiously he hits hard and throws fast punches, but we've not seen yet whether he has the stamina to fight 12 rounds, whether he can box on the backfoot and deal with pressure, and most importantly whether he can take a punch.

David Price was doing exactly the same this time 4 years ago, he was sensationally knocking out journeymen in 2/3 rounds, but as soon as he stepped up in class what happened?

Juggernaut

He's a very good prospect, nothing more nothing less. These people saying he would beat Fury, Wlad, Pulev, Povetkin etc now need their head checking. He's proved nothing yet other than that he can knock over a bunch of pregnant Latvians. He wouldn't have won a gold medal at the Olympics if it was judged fairly, infact he wouldn't have even won a medal because the Cuban in the first round throughly outboxed Joshua.

I've seen people label Joshua the heir to Wladimir's throne, yet were yet to see Joshua A)Take a punch, B)Have the stamina, mental ability and knowhow to fight 12 rounds efficiently and C) We've not seen him forced on the backfoot, and forced to see how he reacts to being pushed back, which will happen when he moves through the levels. All 3 are vital ingredients to becoming a world class championship boxer.

Juggernaut

Who would you have him fight next Juggernaught?

He's ovbiously way past the journeyman stage now. You can't fasttrack heavyweights too quick because it's the weight division in which one punch can swing it. Hearn is not going to match him too hard anyway until he's on the fringe of a title shot because he's worth Millions and millions (potentially). I'd put him in with Chisora next, a durable guy who will give him rounds, if he smashes Chisora out in a few rounds I'd be impressed. After that we need to see him in with someone of a similar height and someone who can jab. Mariusz Wach would be a good opponent, fought for a world title around 2/3 years ago, is 6ft8 and he had Wlad rocked in one of the later rounds. 2016 he should start to fight guys in and around the top 10/15, guys like Price, Helenius, Pulev, Takam, Fury.

SlowerThanPlatt

Joshua is certainly looking the part the guys a beast however for me there is still a lot to go. I would like to see him in with someone who can at least tag him and make him think a little. If it was me looking after his career I would look to put him in with the likes of Chris Arreola or Tony Thompson. If he gets through them then the likes of Bermane Stiverne or Bryant Jennings.

As for Brook his next fight will say a lot about Eddie's plans for him. If he fights another bum Brook is going to be Hearn's cash cow until he is on the slide then he will feed him to the top fighters. If Brook is serious about being one of the best in the Welterweight division he needs to step up and fight more names. There are so many good fights that can be made. He should be looking at the likes of Maidana, Marquez, Bradley, Guerrero even Andre Berto or Brandon Rios. He shouldn't be just focusing on Khan. Maybe if Brook had fought someone credible other than Gavin his name would of been in the hat for Mayweather.

As for Khan he will avoid anyone who has the potential to knock him out until Mayweather retires.

Juggernaut

Eddie Hearn has just signed a new deal with sky, part of that deal is to deliver 6 PPV's per year.

In short that means his marquee fighters (Brook, Joshua, Quigg, Selby) won't be matched too hard incase they lose.

Agree with all your points SlowerThanPlatt. Not slagging Joshua off at all, he's a great prospect, but he's got a long long way to go.

Juggernaut

Bump.

Strong rumours he's failed a drugs test. Not surprising, he's put on nearly a stone and a half in 2 years and he hasn't got an ounce of fat on him.

Juggernaut

I'd be REALLY surprised if that was the case. Just can't see it.

Surprised, you joking? Been rumours for ages. He has all the signs too, acne, steroid baby, putting on a large of amount of weight in a short space.

Plus he's not the cleanest of humans either, been in trouble with the law etc. No surprise to me whatsoever.

LastGarrison

Surprised, you joking? Been rumours for ages. He has all the signs too, acne, steroid baby, putting on a large of amount of weight in a short space.

Plus he's not the cleanest of humans either, been in trouble with the law etc. No surprise to me whatsoever.
It will come out, no doubt, if true but I just can't see it.

He's a big lump of a lad, who's still growing into his proper shape and with all the increased training it is no wonder he is gaining weight.

Will wait and see but, personally, I hope the rumours are unfounded.

Nick

Administrator
Thing is though, if people's job was to be in the gym full time then surely they could put loads of weight on with expert help and no steroids?

chiefdave

Thing is though, if people's job was to be in the gym full time then surely they could put loads of weight on with expert help and no steroids?

You certainly can but its a lot easier with steroids. Also if you cycle steroids correctly it can be tricky for you to get caught by a test. Unless they are turning up at peoples houses, gyms etc and doing random tests you could be on steroids and not be caught. Do they only test when they are fighting?

Juggernaut

You certainly can but its a lot easier with steroids. Also if you cycle steroids correctly it can be tricky for you to get caught by a test. Unless they are turning up at peoples houses, gyms etc and doing random tests you could be on steroids and not be caught. Do they only test when they are fighting?

Yes.

Nick

Administrator

I watched a documentary about it where a guy was trying steroids and his fitness shot up (he wasn't really doing weights or anything) but with cycling etc he was up there with elite athletes and he bought some steroids from China and cycled them in a way that he got past the tests.

It doesn't make sense for them to only test for fights though, somebody could hammer steroids in the build up and then stop just in time to get it out of their system for the fight but they still have the benefits from when they were using them. You would think they would turn up at the gym randomly or something?

chiefdave

It doesn't make sense for them to only test for fights though, somebody could hammer steroids in the build up and then stop just in time to get it out of their system for the fight but they still have the benefits from when they were using them. You would think they would turn up at the gym randomly or something?

Guess it depends how much those in charge of the sport want it to be clean. Do they actually want the athletes to be clean or do they just want to be able to cover themselves by saying we have a testing system in place.

Was reading an article about the rugby world cup and apparently there's been a dramatic change in rugby players in recent years and not the robust of testing systems. Suggestion was that most of the players are on something. Don't watch rugby so no idea if its true or not.

bringbackrattles

Tom Hardy the actor when playing the role of Bronson in the movie of the prisoner had to bulk up in a short space of time to look like Bronson,who is 16 stone of solid muscle.Hardy got near to it and everyone was shocked at the transformation in only several weeks.When steroids were mentioned he said he put the muscle on by diet and strength exercises,and no drugs at all and he showed himself working out with a top trainer.So if he was telling the truth and he said he was it can be done naturally.

Nick

Administrator
Tom Hardy the actor when playing the role of Bronson in the movie of the prisoner had to bulk up in a short space of time to look like Bronson,who is 16 stone of solid muscle.Hardy got near to it and everyone was shocked at the transformation in only several weeks.When steroids were mentioned he said he put the muscle on by diet and strength exercises,and no drugs at all and he showed himself working out with a top trainer.So if he was telling the truth and he said he was it can be done naturally.

That's the thing, if you have experts telling you what to do in the gym (and being there to tell you), nutritionists and probably chefs and nothing else to do other than train then you would get big.

bringbackrattles

That's the thing, if you have experts telling you what to do in the gym (and being there to tell you), nutritionists and probably chefs and nothing else to do other than train then you would get big.
Totally agree. Drugs are rife in sport and there's no getting away from it,but there are clean sportsmen and women and Tom Hardy wanted to do it naturally but admitted that he was offered drugs to get big for the movie,but declined the offer.He ate fast food rubbish to put the pounds on and turned them into muscle,and even Bronson couldn't believe how big he'd got when he went back later on. By the way the movie is brilliant !

Users who are viewing this thread