Anybody into Gothic Stuff? (1 Viewer)

Samo

I don't mean the clothes and the music, I mean old horror movies, ghost stories, castles and abbeys, the romantic poets, thunderstorms, crypts and anything dark and atmospheric?
Probably just me but I thought I'd ask.

Samo

Watched the 1st series of American Horror Story, does that count?

Well kind of... I was thinking more Hammer Horror or even the old b&w Universal Horrors.
'Penny Dreadful' is great for more modern stuff but don't tell me owt, I'm still on series 2.

Reactions: vow

vow

Well kind of... I was thinking more Hammer Horror or even the old b&w Universal Horrors.
'Penny Dreadful' is great for more modern stuff but don't tell me owt, I'm still on series 2.

I've heard of that, i'll have to DL it, oops I mean legally subscribe and watch it.
Reviews look ok, rotten tomatoes, etc.

Grendel

Sky_Blue_Daz

Watched the 1st series of American Horror Story, does that count?
I enjoyed that series second one was good but very weird never watched coven
Freak show was ok
Really enjoyed the hotel series Even peters was great in it and lady gaga

Grendel

I don't mean the clothes and the music, I mean old horror movies, ghost stories, castles and abbeys, the romantic poets, thunderstorms, crypts and anything dark and atmospheric?

On the ghost stories front if you haven't look at an author called Stephen Laws who wrote some good horror novels in the late 80's early 90's just never made the big seller list

Grendel

Oooh excited now, what are you into G?
Movie wise all the hammer stuff, I especially liked those montage things - tales from the Crypt and all that. I even liked those Hammer House of Horror series that is constantly repeated. Author wise I've mentioned Stephen Laws but another is Peter James. James is now a crime novelist (though the main character has a belief in the supernatural) and those books themselves are always good but prior to that he wrote many traditional ghost stories all worth a look.

Otis

Movie wise all the hammer stuff, I especially liked those montage things - tales from the Crypt and all that. I even liked those Hammer House of Horror series that is constantly repeated. Author wise I've mentioned Stephen Laws but another is Peter James. James is now a crime novelist (though the main character has a belief in the supernatural) and those books themselves are always good but prior to that he wrote many traditional ghost stories all worth a look.

I'm not into such serious horror stuff, I just stick with Dennis Wheatley and Aleister Crowley..

Grendel

I'm not into such serious horror stuff, I just stick with Dennis Wheatley and Aleister Crowley..

Wheatley novels are very good. Rather detailed knowledge of the occult but still entertaining.

One the devil rides out was a great hammer film - another to the devil a daughter was one of the worst hammer films.

skybluejelly

When I was a lot younger we used to go ghosting ..at night ..we would look up supposedly haunted places then see who was brave enough to do ever increasing silly dares

Otis

Wheatley novels are very good. Rather detailed knowledge of the occult but still entertaining.

One the devil rides out was a great hammer film - another to the devil a daughter was one of the worst hammer films.

Worth it for a naked Natassja Kinski though

Though in saying that there is some controversy about her age in that isn't there, so maybe I should take that back.

ccfc92

There's a nightclub here in Bournemouth called Halo. The building is actually an old church, so the whole place has a Gothic theme, which makes it quite interesting and unique.

I also love walking around Coventry cathedral at night, it looks fantastic in my opinion :)

mrtrench

I like Bauhaus and Virgin Prunes. Saw Bauhaus once in Chippenham and Virgin Prunes in an old church in Bristol.

ccfc92

Anyone been to Paris?

The Gothic buildings are so interesting, and the detail in them is amazing.

mrtrench

Went onto the roof on Notre Dame - fantastic gargoyles. Went through a phase of photographing them and similar - have some good ones too from Salisbury Cathedral and Kensal Green Cemetery.

wingy

No doubt about it the Architecture Is a bit sinister!

Samo

On the ghost stories front if you haven't look at an author called Stephen Laws who wrote some good horror novels in the late 80's early 90's just never made the big seller list

I'll check him out, thanks G.

Samo

Yeah I love those portmanteau movies too but I still return to those Hammer classics like 'Brides of Dracula', 'Curse of the Werewolf', 'Plague of the Zombies', etc. They have a feel to them that is unique; they don't look like other movies from the time but they don't look like TV either. They are a massive nostalgia trip for me.

Samo

When I was a lot younger we used to go ghosting ..at night ..we would look up supposedly haunted places then see who was brave enough to do ever increasing silly dares

Yeah, we did the same, great fun!

Samo

Went onto the roof on Notre Dame - fantastic gargoyles. Went through a phase of photographing them and similar - have some good ones too from Salisbury Cathedral and Kensal Green Cemetery.

How about sharing some Trench?

Samo

Did you know by the way, that a gargoyle is only a gargoyle if it has water running through it as some of them do, out of their mouths and such. The ones that don't are 'grotesques' not gargoyles.

Nick

Administrator
there is a house in Galley Common by the chip shop, it has loads of those in windows, on their house etc. all gothic figures.

Would be scary after a beer.

Users who are viewing this thread