Anyone got a wood burner? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Or a multi fuel burner? Also how difficult are they to install, hoping to install one in the very near future and want to take out the existing old gas fire and fireplace and replace it ?

Flying Fokker

Maybe read up on your journey towards illness if you buy one? Trendy, money saving, bad for your health.

Not a fan of these in towns although I totally understand why people may choose them at the moment. My neighbour has one and it is like I’m living in the 60’s with all of the fumes coming off their chimney.

clint van damme

Or a multi fuel burner? Also how difficult are they to install, hoping to install one in the very near future and want to take out the existing old gas fire and fireplace and replace it ?

Got one. Theyre sound. We're about to open up the biggest new oil field in Europe so the idea that you burning a few logs will end us is fucking nonsense

SIR ERNIE

Buy a good one and get a HETAS certified engineer to install it. You'll probably need a flexible chimney liner. Burn only seasoned hardwood. Sit back, feet up, glass of wine, enjoy.

skybluetony176

Get it installed professionally is my advice. When I got mine I had no end of people telling me do it yourself, you can use the original flue from the gas fire etc etc. 10 minutes on google and it all turned out to be bollocks. Get someone in who knows what they’re doing. At the end of the day I came to the conclusion heaven forbid something went wrong with my kids asleep upstairs and even if they wasn’t then finding out you’ve made your home insurance worthless because it wasn’t installed by someone properly qualified to install it. Was worth the piece of mind in the end for me.

Last edited:

Kneeza

Before we downsized to our poxy little (read easy to heat) semi, we had a huge bungalow and there was no gas in the village. I installed a bottled gas system for the hot water and rads, but this was incredibly expensive compared to piped gas, so we ended up not using the central heating at all.
However, I also put a multi-fuel in the living room and another in the kitchen/second sitting/ dining room (it was a very big room.
With both of these burning (with smokeless coal overnight) just leaving all the internal doors open kept the whole house warm, so much so that we often had windows wide open in midwinter just to get the temperature down a bit!
Do it.

Sbarcher

Needs to be Ecodesign approved to burn sustainable fuel and get an air flow front glass design if possible to keep doors clean. Hetas installer will issue you with a compliance certificate which will be requested should you sell your property. 5in flue running either internally or externally with an inspection plate to check safe operation. Use coal where possible as it burns much hotter and longer than logs.

Sbarcher

Needs to be Ecodesign approved to burn sustainable fuel and get an air flow front glass design if possible to keep doors clean. Betas installer will issue you with a compliance certificate which will be requested should you sell your property. 5in flue running either internally or externally with an inspection plate to check safe operation. Use coal where possible as it burns much hotter and longer than logs.
One very important thing. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the room or you will get combustion spillage (Co) into the room.

bulko

I’ve got one best thing we have bought my mate fitted ours it’s his job it was done properly.

ProfessorbyGrace

Wasn't there talk of them being banned at some point in the future?
Yes, I heard this also, from 2025 (prospectively). Installed ones, anyway, as the government will have a job banning portable/outdoor ones. Won’t stop them trying though, I imagine.

Sbarcher

Yes, I heard this also, from 2025 (prospectively). Installed ones, anyway, as the government will have a job banning portable/outdoor ones. Won’t stop them trying though, I imagine.
It won’t be retrospective so any installed stoves at that time will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread