Anyone in to stocks & shares? (1 Viewer)

lewys33

Started getting in to it about a month ago.

Started well, got cocky, got burnt!

Currently sitting at break even after a small recovery. Anyone else in to it? Any advice?

Buy National Housebuilder shares during a recession is my one piece of advice. I bought circa 6000 TW. shares at 4p in 2009. I'll let you check what a winner that was for a small investment.

Last edited:

lewys33

Buy National Housebuilder shares during a rescession is my one piece of advice. I bought circa 6000 TW. shares at 4p in 2009. I'll let you check what a winner that was for a small investment.

Wow. That is some going there! Although just reading 1 article it appears they may be on the way down?

I am currently in oil/energy companies. Quite volatile!

Ashdown

The stock market is quite high at the moment I believe, so you have to be very astute to know what to invest in, or 'In the Know' of course. Guy I know seems to do OK but steers away from FTSE 100 and looks at up and coming enterprises.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not stocks, but stockings! Can't beat a nice pair of stockings!
Trouble is, they make my legs itch! :D

duffer

As with all gambling - I think the key is never bet more than you can afford to lose! ;)

It's a big old world, stocks, and lots of players - with some big ones more than capable of manipulating the various markets I'd venture.

If you don't mind my asking, are you using technical analysis, looking at graphs and trying to spot mathematical trends etc., or fundamental analysis where you look at the overall value of the proposition and any pending developments?

Personally, and fwiw, I'll stick to the occasional dabble on Betfair. :)

Marty

I have a go every now and then. Luckily, I haven't done too bad.

Looking about 20% down overall, it's all down Leed Petroleum (LDP) screwing me. Paid .60, currently .05, It's not even worth selling them now.

I stick to penny shares mainly.

shmmeee

Have you looked at MotleyFool.com? Has some excellent guides for beginners and preaches a more sensible strategy rather than gambling on "tips" or short term gains.

My mate is into it quite a bit, I'm thinking of getting some tech stocks because I know the industry, I've been reading up on Warren Buffett's investment strategy and it makes sense. My mate is more of a day trader and penny stocks looking for a quick return, to be honest he's had far more luck buying BitCoin than he has picking stocks.

Moff

I have a go every now and then. Luckily, I haven't done too bad.

Looking about 20% down overall, it's all down Leed Petroleum (LDP) screwing me. Paid .60, currently .05, It's not even worth selling them now.

I stick to penny shares mainly.

Sounds a bit like me Marty.

I used to dabble quite often, but not large amounts, and did quite well. I was well up and decided to invest a lot of my gains and more in ROK, who had served me well in the past, and whose balance sheet was ok, they had plenty of orders in, and were paying out dividends. A couple of months later the B*stards went bust, and I lost it all. Having had my fingers burnt I decided to slow it all down.

Overall I am probably 20% down, like yourself. I only have shares in a couple of companies now, and am sitting on them until I see a better return.

lewys33

Duffer - it all started on a tip from work - RXP. Didn't think much of it but did a little research and ended up putting some money in. Was going very well so topped up, and then a veiled threat from Putin to Kazakhstan pushed it down. Started looking at other companies, and 1 of them started doing well (SOLO) so I sold up and transfered my money over to those shares. Lucky I did because RXP has plummeted today on news that they won't be flow testing until mid Q4. Still think RXP is a good prospect but going to see how low it drops and how much I can make in SOLO before I buy back in. IMO it has only dropped because people are impatient. Anyway to answer your question I am waiting on pending developments.

shmmeee - I had a look at bitcoins along with a few friends. They decided to go for it but I didn't. I think they joined too late. The equipment to run it, the space needed, the noise, and energy usage outweighed the pros in my opinion. I do believe they have now sold all their equipment and didn't make much. They rented office space but we're kicked out for using too much power!

Last edited:

Marty

Sounds a bit like me Marty.

I used to dabble quite often, but not large amounts, and did quite well. I was well up and decided to invest a lot of my gains and more in ROK, who had served me well in the past, and whose balance sheet was ok, they had plenty of orders in, and were paying out dividends. A couple of months later the B*stards went bust, and I lost it all. Having had my fingers burnt I decided to slow it all down.

Overall I am probably 20% down, like yourself. I only have shares in a couple of companies now, and am sitting on them until I see a better return.

I'm a proper little prospector, love my miners.

What are you currently in, if you don't mind me asking?

SlowerThanPlatt

When I first started investing the guy I was talking to (not a broker just someone at work, who had invested quite a bit) said I should invest in what I know and what I am interested in.

So I have a few tech stocks, some health care , some offshore drilling and diamonds and then I kinda gravitated to high dividend stocks.

NorthernWisdom

Beyond my Millwall shares, my other efforts have been Lloyds, Barclays, and RBS.

Barclays did well. Bought at £1.10, sold at £3.30 so a half decent profit on the initial investment. So decided to plough the profits back into... Lloyds and RBS:slap:.

Still convinced Lloyds are intrinsically sound, but share issues that forced me to either buy or have my shareholding diluted didn't help, and neither does the government meddling!

lewys33

I was tempted to buy in to tesco after their latest exploits, but left that one. I am also tempted to jump in to MXO.

Moff

I'm a proper little prospector, love my miners.

What are you currently in, if you don't mind me asking?

Lloyds and Taylor Wimpey. The former is doing well, but waiting for it to up a bit more before I think of selling, whilst the latter is only up a bit and I am willing to wait.

Like the idea of the miners, have looked at them closely several years ago, but after having my fingers burnt I backed off.

shmmeee

Duffer - it all started on a tip from work - RXP. Didn't think much of it but did a little research and ended up putting some money in. Was going very well so topped up, and then a veiled threat from Putin to Kazakhstan pushed it down. Started looking at other companies, and 1 of them started doing well (SOLO) so I sold up and transfered my money over to those shares. Lucky I did because RXP has plummeted today on news that they won't be flow testing until mid Q4. Still think RXP is a good prospect but going to see how low it drops and how much I can make in SOLO before I buy back in. IMO it has only dropped because people are impatient. Anyway to answer your question I am waiting on pending developments.

shmmeee - I had a look at bitcoins along with a few friends. They decided to go for it but I didn't. I think they joined too late. The equipment to run it, the space needed, the noise, and energy usage outweighed the pros in my opinion. I do believe they have now sold all their equipment and didn't make much. They rented office space but we're kicked out for using too much power!

No money in mining now, you missed the rush, even the FGPAs don't kick out enough to cover leccy costs. He gets most of his by buying low (like when the Silk Road money got sold) and selling high. But mainly he's banking on them rising in prices over time.

lewys33

Did quite well out of SOLO last couple of days. May have sold out too early at 0.94 but a 30% profit will do me just fine. If you are bored take a look at RGM today!

jon92

Often see trading212 advertised anyone use that? They give you a practice account to use to see how things work

Cov City Daytrader 87

Trading212 is a spread betting firm like Capital Spreads.

@Lewys 33. Another question to add is, what is your the price you entered, the stop-loss and the profit target?

Cov City Daytrader 87

Are you asking me personally or are you saying I should ask myself those questions?

The latter because you have to plan where to exit if it goes your way or exit to limit your losses should it goes against you. I would only ask the former if I was trading the same shares as you were.

lewys33

The latter because you have to plan where to exit if it goes your way or exit to limit your losses should it goes against you. I would only ask the former if I was trading the same shares as you were.

Yh I thought as much. I did start off a little greedy but have pulled the reins in. All shares are down today (AIM 100 down 36 1.1%) so I have dropped a little. I have stop losses and upper limits set up.

Last edited:

Cov City Daytrader 87

The next 2 questions you also got to consider are:

What is my risk to reward. This means for example: 'I'm prepared o risk(lose) £100 for a chance to make £300. Risk is 1. Reward is 3.

Where do I move my stop when the trade go my way. This means when do I move my stop to just above breakeven point, so I've lost nothing. More further say it keeps going the way I wanted, when do I move my stop again and where to, so that I capture some profits if it hits my stop?

The naked trader book is a start, but not the total solution.

Cov City Daytrader 87

There is another alternative and that is trading FX (forex). However you would need to start off with trading micro-lots. That means losing or gaining 6p a pip. You may not make much money, but you won't lose much either.

Cov City Daytrader 87

Pip = Percentage in points.

For example: GBP (That's the Great British Pound) verses USD (US Dollar).

Currently at say 1.6196. For every time it moves up/down one number it's a pip. I.E 1.6197 OR 1.6195.
Now if you an account in USD then the amount you gain or lose is 10 US cents that stands fixed. If though you open an account in Pounds then the gain or loss can vary I.E 6p, 6.1p or 5.9p depending on what it's trading at.

Users who are viewing this thread