Anyone in to stocks & shares? (1 Viewer)

Pip = Percentage in points.

For example: GBP (That's the Great British Pound) verses USD (US Dollar).

Currently at say 1.6196. For every time it moves up/down one number it's a pip. I.E 1.6197 OR 1.6195.
Now if you an account in USD then the amount you gain or lose is 10 US cents that stands fixed. If though you open an account in Pounds then the gain or loss can vary I.E 6p, 6.1p or 5.9p depending on what it's trading at.

As simple as this may all be, without someone sitting down and showing me, I just can't get my head around it all as much as I would love to.

Cov City Daytrader 87

That true Rich. Let's just say it's a lot to take in. Like using the platform understanding how the whole FX market works.

And I'm going to make a confession.

I've traded stock and shares in the past. At the moment I've completed a 7 day (intense) course on FX.

lewys33

I must admit I'm just pissing in the wind really and "hoping" for good news as such. Quite quickly got obsessed with watching it and trying to spot trends.

Do you think if Scotland will vote yes then it screw up LSE? I heard a sneaky rumour that some foreign companies were pulling all their money out today in preparation. All the companies I have been watching have gone down (some had a good RNS released and still only rose less than 1%).

wingy

I must admit I'm just pissing in the wind really and "hoping" for good news as such. Quite quickly got obsessed with watching it and trying to spot trends.

Do you think if Scotland will vote yes then it screw up LSE? I heard a sneaky rumour that some foreign companies were pulling all their money out today in preparation. All the companies I have been watching have gone down (some had a good RNS released and still only rose less than 1%).

Pretty sure they'll go back up again Lewis ,events such as this can be used and manipulated to the disadvantage of small Investors IMO.

Cov City Daytrader 87

There's always be some others who'll probably want to list themselves on the LSE.

If I decide I want to trade shares again, I'll concentrate on the chart and see where the pros place their buy orders.

Astute

I used to have shares in several companies. Over the years you should do well. But one bad share can wipe out the profits of the others. I now only have shares in one company. And there are several reasons for this.

As we all know prices can go up just as easily as down. So you need a backup plan. Mine is pick your shares that pay a decent dividend. The company that I have my money in pays an average dividend of just over 3% PA. So if the share price stays the same you are still 3% up. Try getting that much interest from a bank. Consumables are the best to invest in IMO as they will keep selling what they make. Pick a company that is in the top 2 of most of what they make. Reinvest your dividends into more shares. If you can afford to the best way to invest is to put money in each month or every few months if the cost of the deal is high to the value of the shares you are buying. That way you spread the cost of a fluctuating price. And check who you use to do your deals for you. Some are better than others whilst being cheaper.

I have done well from those I now hold. 5 years ago they were about $35 a share. The last time I looked they were about $107. But I have also made a lot from the dividends and the dividends on dividends. I now get free shares each 3 months. And the profit that the company makes means that if the share price did go down the dividend that they pay would be higher as a percentage of the shares I am still buying.

Last of all don't invest what you can't afford to lose and what you might need in a hurry. A share price can have a blip even in the strongest companies for a silly reason and bounce back up to where it should be months later. But this is no good if you need the money in the middle of a blip. I like blips. They give you an extra profit as soon as the price goes back to what it should be.

Cov City Daytrader 87

Actually going back to the Trader 212 thing. With spreadbetting companies you can short selective U.K shares. This means instead of the usual buy low, sell high. You can short the share (sell high and close the position to buy low). However please note that spreadbetting broker are there to take the other side of the trade.

skybluesam66

anyone want a good tip

Tesco land bank is worth twice as much as their capitalised value
This means if they closed down tomorrow, and sold their undeveloped land - shareholders would get 100% profit (excluding the stores)

Eventually the current scandals will die down , they will get a strong CEO and marketing strategy - and the shares will make a good profit over the next 5 years

Cov City Daytrader 87

anyone want a good tip

Tesco land bank is worth twice as much as their capitalised value
This means if they closed down tomorrow, and sold their undeveloped land - shareholders would get 100% profit (excluding the stores)

Eventually the current scandals will die down , they will get a strong CEO and marketing strategy - and the shares will make a good profit over the next 5 years

Sounds good.

Question though.

At what price should I buy the shares.

Users who are viewing this thread