Anyone remember Rob Gurney? (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
........ he was the regular commentator on CWR for all the city matches. Him and Geoff Foster used to commentate together with the odd comment thrown in by the Telegraph bloke (can't remember his name). Just wondered if anyone remembers where Rob went on to coz I knew him personally and he was a fanatic City supporter as well as just a Beeb man.

keBaB

Yeah, I remember Rob Gurney, I think he was at BBC WM. I think he did the commentary when it was on Mercia too. Adam Dent was the CET chap you're thinking of.

rob9872

Didn't realise he was even a City fan. I seem to remember him as a Wolves fan who was commentating on our games and jumped ship to them when offfered on their first spell in the Premiership. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Houchens Head

Yep,remember him,his mum was a teacher at my school (President Kennedy).20+ years ago now,wow feel old!!!

I was young groundsman at Pres Kennedy in 1971! I left shool in 1968! Now THAT is old!! :D

SkyblueRod

I was young groundsman at Pres Kennedy in 1971! I left shool in 1968! Now THAT is old!! :D
Ha,that is old Houchens Head,feel younger now! No idea what happened to Rob Gurney though,shame,from what I remember he was excellent on the radio,much better than Eakin,though that's not saying alot.

Disorganised1

Rob Gurney moved across to WM where he still presents a a sports programme and commentates on the Villa -

TheRoyalScam

Used to love Rob Gurney's commentaries - sky blue through and through - I think the BBC moved him to commentate on the Vile - I remember him saying that he could now come and stand on the West Terrace and really sing and shout for his beloved CCFC! Legend - good on yer, Rob!

keBaB

That's a bit harsh about Clive Eakin, I live in Norfolk, so have to make do with commentary most matches, he's quite good normally, he can get a bit obsessive with foul-throws and referee decisions. But he's pretty good at getting across the action. I really like Claus Jørgensen doing the summarising, he says 'we' about the city, I like that!

Covstu

i liked Rob G, he was passionate but realisitc with it unlike Clive E!! Has anyone ever listened to the radio whilst at the game, i tried it for one game (well only lasted 15mins), he watches a different game to anyone of of us!!

bamalamafizzfazz

he can get a bit obsessive with foul-throws

Ha ha, I hate foul throws really annoys me. Rob was quality, I wonder if he goes crazy when the Vile score like he did for the City. He used to do the whole game and Geoff did the analysis not swapping over like horse racing.

egastap

And I left Ullathorne in 1963....so that makes me really old. A buddy of mine said I hadn't lived until I'd 'been' with a woman 10 years older than me. I told him, unfortunately most of them are dead

Houchens Head

My old school was Ullathorne aswell! Hated it!

Macca

Anyone remember Ian Woods? Now a big cheese on SkY. Mike Liggins as well. Not sure if thats spelt right

Sky_Blue_Daz

MMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN
Gurneys best moment ever, in fact his scream hit such a pitch that the microphone cut off

Colonel Mustard

It wasn't passion/partisanship that made Gurney a great commentator - it was his fluid, descriptive commentary and intelligent reading of the game. Adam Dent, also a very smart cookie, was excellent as the objective, shoot-from-the-hip analyst. In those days Geoff used to be the teaboy in the background.

It's hard to blame him for moving on. I think back in 2001 they were still operating part-time out of a small building in Coventry (before the city got back a full-time station). WM was a big boy offering Premiership football.

Used to enjoy their one-hour Friday night phone-in, too; back when it was a proper phone-in, without texts, emails etc.

Houchens Head

Why did everyone 'ate Ullathorne? We was luvverly kids!! *snigger* :whistle:

wingy

And I left Ullathorne in 1963....so that makes me really old. A buddy of mine said I hadn't lived until I'd 'been' with a woman 10 years older than me. I told him, unfortunately most of them are dead

Nice to see you posting again Egastep
Been eons
Wondered what happened to you
Enjoy the game on the box tonight
Well afternoon for you I guess

Houchens Head

Nice to see you posting again Egastep
Been eons
Wondered what happened to you
Enjoy the game on the box tonight
Well afternoon for you I guess

Wingy, have you been asleep for a while? The last time Egastep was last online here was 09.05.2012. :confused:

bringbackrattles

Wingy, have you been asleep for a while? The last time Egastep was last online here was 09.05.2012. :confused:
Houch just came on to your thread. are you going to the match tonight ? or stuck at home watching it on SKY ? Was hoping you'd be in the Wheatsheaf so I'd get you a half of mild !

Houchens Head

Houch just came on to your thread. are you going to the match tonight ? or stuck at home watching it on SKY ? Was hoping you'd be in the Wheatsheaf so I'd get you a half of mild !

Way too expensive for me BBR. It would cost around £150 - £160 (£80 ferry, £50 fuel, plus parking and gate ticket) so I'm afraid the half of Ansells Mild will have to wait until November when I'm next in Cov! I'll catch the match on Sky. :(

squeeam

I was sat behind Rob Gurney and his lad a couple of years ago. The match was the last one before Xmas 2012 (Preston? Think it was a draw) and he was pretty vocal. I didn't know it was him until one of my son's friend's said he went to my lads school and mentioned his surname. I put 2 and 2 together and it was him.

My claim to fame is he and I got the same amount of points and both won the school's music quiz. Yeah, impressive.

duffer

........ he was the regular commentator on CWR for all the city matches. Him and Geoff Foster used to commentate together with the odd comment thrown in by the Telegraph bloke (can't remember his name). Just wondered if anyone remembers where Rob went on to coz I knew him personally and he was a fanatic City supporter as well as just a Beeb man.

I remember Rob Gurney's commentaries very well - always enjoyed listening to them. The telegraph bloke you're thinking of was Adam Dent, I'd venture.

I've no problem with Clive Eakin, and I enjoy listening to the radio when he's on too, but I'm never quite sure why RG moved onto Brum. Did he jump, or was he pushed - the BBC is notoriously political I've heard...

Houchens Head

I actually worked with Rob when I was at CWR. He was a great bloke off mike as well. He was really passionate about City but I believe he moved on for a better salary.

bringbackrattles

I actually worked with Rob when I was at CWR. He was a great bloke off mike as well. He was really passionate about City but I believe he moved on for a better salary.
I'll get you that half in November then,might stretch it to a pint if we're near the top of the table. By the way when I was at Caludon Castle we used to thrash your school at Football and Rugby. I scored two once at your pitch and I was on the wing !

Houchens Head

What year would that be? We had a top team when I was at 'Thorne. (64-68) We never played rugby though. That would be the grammar school swots! :D

bringbackrattles

What year would that be? We had a top team when I was at 'Thorne. (64-68) We never played rugby though. That would be the grammar school swots! :D[/QUOTE Sorry for the delay bit hungover today from last night. It was about 65/67 we had a great side in fact our forward line was the Coventry boys front line as well. we won cups galore and so did the rugby teams until we played Bablake and King Henry !

wingy

Doh didn't realise It was a resurrection Houch .

wonder how the Old boy Is /

He would would probably be one of the older members on here , In answer to your other thread,along with VOR and JR.

Users who are viewing this thread