Arsenal and Liverpool in race to sign James Maddison (Independent) (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

He had more experience than CW and is two years older, tellingly he's also never been as prolific in either L1 or Championship as CW.

I'd say he was sold for his true worth whereas CW was undersold. Bournemouth are probably still kicking themselves.

CW at Coventry - 23 goals in 55 games (goal every 42% of games)
NW at Bradford - 42 goals in 91 games (goal every 46% of games)

Thanks for coming.

stupot07

He had more experience than CW and is two years older, tellingly he's also never been as prolific in either L1 or Championship as CW.

I'd say he was sold for his true worth whereas CW was undersold. Bournemouth are probably still kicking themselves.

wells scored 14 in 19 in league one for Bradford before moving to Huddersfield in January

highlighting their difference in form following their moves is using hindsight.

dongonzalos

Jesus you both moan on when people raise these points in other threads, yet think its hilarious to make a joke about it in others. Boring.

The jokes over when you do it again and again and again and again ........

No worries Dwain I will stop

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

wells scored 14 in 19 in league one for Bradford before moving to Huddersfield in January

highlighting their difference in form following their moves is using hindsight.

And Wilson got 22 in 41 for us the same season. I'll let Tony work out the %'s on that one.

Grendel

Basically, TM is trying to hike his price up, in a roundabout way. Quite clever.

Yeah loan him back this and next season and at a price he will sell.

Let's me honest £5 million if paid mostly upfront would almost ensure promotion with the right signings.

lordsummerisle

Err, no I'm not. But I do commend your assessment based on future foresight. At the time, the players were of similar age, similar standard, similar experience. The price paid for both was fair.

Not every player sold goes on the same way as someone else sold for the same price. Francis Jeffers was sold for £10m once. Wilson was sold for under a 1/3 of that. Players develop/progress differently.

My point (which still stands) is that what we received for Wilson at the time, was comparatively, market value in my eyes. You might see it differently. I won't lose sleep over this...

A lot of people were very upsetb at us selling Bigi for £1million(NLHWC thought he would be worth £35million by now!).

Think we did a bit better out of the Bigi deal than Newcastle did.

jimmyhillsfanclub

As long as he sees out the season with us, even on loan, then I'll (have to) settle for that.....I believe he could actually be the next big thing......

With the money sloshing about in the championship, I can't really see us getting him back on loan if we do manage to go up.....

Just hope we get a decent fee & possibly more importantly, a decent sell on clause.....I believe Barnsley stood to earn 20% of the fee touted for John Stones earlier this year.

Grendel

A lot of people were very upsetb at us selling Bigi for £1million(NLHWC thought he would be worth £35million by now!).

Think we did a bit better out of the Bigi deal than Newcastle did.

Shame they've used their return clause. I thought they were for 30 days not 4 years.

skybluetony176

CW at Coventry - 23 goals in 55 games (goal every 42% of games)
NW at Bradford - 42 goals in 91 games (goal every 46% of games)

Thanks for coming.

So he played 91 games for bradford in league 1? I don't think so as he had 2 season in league 2 with them.

Likewise, thanks for coming.

mechaishida

Yeah loan him back this and next season and at a price he will sell.

Let's me honest £5 million if paid mostly upfront would almost ensure promotion with the right signings.

Absolutely, and I believe it'll probably transpire this way.

£5million, with say £4mil up front and a two year loan deal back to us and we're gaining all the way. So will Madders, because his development depends on getting substantial game time.

Win/win situation.

Grendel

So he played 91 games for bradford in league 1? I don't think so as he had 2 season in league 2 with them.

Likewise, thanks for coming.

He scored 14 goals in 19 league one games - I wouldn't then get all clever if I were you and point out the 4 games played in league one when young as Wilson played several games for Kidderminster with no return.

The point people like you miss is a player is valued in form with his own club not his future performances as hind sight is not possible. His form as Pressley abandoned his tactics of attack could have declined. Especially having been denied a move he said he wanted when an offer was made.

To be fair it's pointless trying this reasoning as you've stated that you think he is better than Theo Walcott

So your a bit mad really. Let's call it a touch if the Dongles,

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
With the success of Deli Ali, Vardy, Deeney and other English talent who have risen from the lower leagues, Maddison was always going to be looked at.

We need to try and get promoted this season with him being a key part of that. He can then be sold for a stupidly high figure and be loaned back for a year while we are in the Championship.

def agree with this prob the best option all round really

Samo

Don't worry everyone... if we get promoted to the Championship, that is his natural level, (so Grendel tells me) so he won't need to be going anywhere.

Grendel

Don't worry everyone... if we get promoted to the Championship, that is his natural level, (so Grendel tells me) so he won't need to be going anywhere.

To be fair the quality of the premier league is clearly in decline. There are now players in that league that are making headlines that a couple of years ago would never even have had a mention. Vardy is the most obvious and also the likes of Wilson

So I'm sure he could potentially have a future at that level.

Samo

To be fair the quality of the premier league is clearly in decline. There are now players in that league that are making headlines that a couple of years ago would never even have had a mention. Vardy is the most obvious and also the likes of Wilson

So I'm sure he could potentially have a future at that level.

Ah Grendel... you are funny! :D

torchomatic

Question to you all, if we could get £5million for Maddison and buy Jacob Murphy for 2mill would you accept that ?
Absolutely yes for me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

H

Huckerby

Question to you all, if we could get £5million for Maddison and buy Jacob Murphy for 2mill would you accept that ?
Hundred percent... But we couldn't buy Murphy for 2million.

The money isn't worth as much to them as it is to us if you know what I mean

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Otis

Hmm not sure. Would like to see a little more consistency from Murphy.

Where you see Lameiras constantly trying to create and apply himself, sometimes Murphy doesn't quite look interested. Unfortunately he was terrible at Sheff Utd where he simply made no attempt to track back when we lost the ball and on 2 occasions he just simply stopped completely.

Wouldn't take that much more to convince me though to be honest. I know he can't be the finished article otherwise he wouldn't be here anyway would he, bit I do think he needs to show just a little more. Looks a world beater one day and then can show zero at all for 3 games in a row.

I do trust TM to develop him though. Tough call.

Chipfat

He as been on the radar for all the top clubs for a very long time and if not with us will have the chance to step up sooner rather than later. He is very similar to the lad at Derby Will Hughes not only in style but the fact when fit is always touted as the next young star to sign with a big club. It will happen it just depends on time and who with, i can't see anything before the summer as clubs will take time to look at him and see how the club is at the end of the season.

If we are still in L1 with him playing and doing well he will be gone, if we are in the championship i would say he stays and builds up his career. Having Cole and even Bigi to help him and talk to him will help him work things out, it will not be easy for a young kid to see the teams mentioned and keep his feet grounded. He can also talk to Dan Crowley as i know these lads all know each other in regards to being at a bigger club, its all pro's and con's. Lastly if we are L1 next season i would like to see him, Dan Crowley and Callum Wilson all in prem side's doing well, as if i cant watch my own team in the prem the next best is seeing your own in there doing well.

Terry Gibson's perm

Off topic but if he is still here next season do we think he would be picked for the England under 21's or is that more if a select club for premiership reserves?

skybluetony176

He scored 14 goals in 19 league one games - I wouldn't then get all clever if I were you and point out the 4 games played in league one when young as Wilson played several games for Kidderminster with no return.

The point people like you miss is a player is valued in form with his own club not his future performances as hind sight is not possible. His form as Pressley abandoned his tactics of attack could have declined. Especially having been denied a move he said he wanted when an offer was made.

To be fair it's pointless trying this reasoning as you've stated that you think he is better than Theo Walcott

So your a bit mad really. Let's call it a touch if the Dongles,

Apparently I'm right, Wilson is already better than Theo Walcott. Theo's last season in the championship he played 21 scored 4, CW played 45 scored 20. If form is the yard stick as you insist TW would have had to play 105 games to score what CW did. Look at this season, CW has played 7 scored 5 whereas TW has played 11 scored 3. To say that players aren't signed on potential is absolute bollocks, it's exactly why up and coming players move up the leagues in transfer's.

Anyone who's ever kicked a ball could see the raw talent that CW possesses and that has only been confirmed by what he's achieved since. He's stepped up twice in quick succession and that's only down to talent not potential.

Grendel

Hmm not sure. Would like to see a little more consistency from Murphy.

Where you see Lameiras constantly trying to create and apply himself, sometimes Murphy doesn't quite look interested. Unfortunately he was terrible at Sheff Utd where he simply made no attempt to track back when we lost the ball and on 2 occasions he just simply stopped completely.

Wouldn't take that much more to convince me though to be honest. I know he can't be the finished article otherwise he wouldn't be here anyway would he, bit I do think he needs to show just a little more. Looks a world beater one day and then can show zero at all for 3 games in a row.

I do trust TM to develop him though. Tough call.

Murphy is a lot better than lameries.

His job isn't to track back but to create chances - like the one against Sheffield United that you say robbed us of victory.

Grendel

Apparently I'm right, Wilson is already better than Theo Walcott. Theo's last season in the championship he played 21 scored 4, CW played 45 scored 20. If form is the yard stick as you insist TW would have had to play 105 games to score what CW did. Look at this season, CW has played 7 scored 5 whereas TW has played 11 scored 3. To say that players aren't signed on potential is absolute bollocks, it's exactly why up and coming players move up the leagues in transfer's.

Anyone who's ever kicked a ball could see the raw talent that CW possesses and that has only been confirmed by what he's achieved since. He's stepped up twice in quick succession and that's only down to talent not potential.

So he's better than Walcott then? Yes or no?

Otis

Murphy is a lot better than lameries.

His job isn't to track back but to create chances - like the one against Sheffield United that you say robbed us of victory.

So when he WAS tracking back, which he clearly was and their player kept going down the flank and he simply stopped, you think TM was okay with that?

And I didn't say Lameiras was better than Murphy either. 2 and 2 equalling 5 again, Grendel. Murphy is clearly the better player.

Grendel

So when he WAS tracking back, which he clearly was and their player kept going down the flank and he simply stopped, you think TM was okay with that?

Huckerby was shocking at his defensive duties - ultimately so what? Lameries isn't any good either and nor is Kent. Murphy is on loan from a premier league club and lameries was bombed out of one with no takers. That says it all surely.

Skyblueweeman

To say that players aren't signed on potential is absolute bollocks, it's exactly why up and coming players move up the leagues in transfer's.

But not every player blossoms like CW (see Jeffers, Wells etc). You pay at the time, market value as well as potential. Using the Wells example, both players were relatively similar and went for similar prices. One has realised his potential a lot better than the other. It also helped that Wilson went to a much better team.

Otis

Huckerby was shocking at his defensive duties - ultimately so what? Lameries isn't any good either and nor is Kent. Murphy is on loan from a premier league club and lameries was bombed out of one with no takers. That says it all surely.

Murphy is better than Lameiras in my opinion. No question.

Grendel

But not every player blossoms like CW (see Jeffers, Wells etc). You pay at the time, market value as well as potential. Using the Wells example, both players were relatively similar and went for similar prices. One has realised his potential a lot better than the other. It also helped that Wilson went to a much better team.
Why bother? He's either stupid or stubborn - or both.

Macca

If I may interject, despite his apparent ability he is still a young untested league 1 player and it could go either way. I hope he makes it

Users who are viewing this thread