Arsenal and Liverpool in race to sign James Maddison (Independent) (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueZack

Wasn't a world cup winner in 2010. Was only a couple of years older. The thread is titled arsenal and Liverpool interested in maddison. Plays in same position as ozil. Or is that all irrelevant? I also compared him to delle alli. Who is now a premiership and international player. So why not pick on that too? My opinion is just as valid as yours.

skyblue14

These Premier League clubs are wasting time and money sending scouts to games. They should simply contact various people on here for their expert views.

Littlewood CCFC

Wasn't a world cup winner in 2010. Was only a couple of years older. The thread is titled arsenal and Liverpool interested in maddison. Plays in same position as ozil. Or is that all irrelevant? I also compared him to delle alli. Who is now a premiership and international player. So why not pick on that too? My opinion is just as valid as yours.

Haha ok sensitive was only asking :( Silly comparisons aside the boys got a footballing brain lightyears ahead of anyone contracted to Coventry city at the moment, would be very sad to see him go however 5 million+ is the minimum we should be asking for IMO.

SkyBlueZack

I agree he's the best we've got but it's whether or not he can step up. The clubs involved are top sides with a lot ofccompetition for places. Personally think he should stay here for at least another season to aid his development. Preferably in the championship. Might just be me but think he could also do with spending some time in the gym. The stronger he is the more his technical ability will shine imo.

lifeskyblue

If we were offered anything over £5million we should snap their hands off. Madders is good...very good at league one level. He his an intelligent footballer with a good touch etc. However he isn't the finished article yet and is lightweight, gets pushed off the ball too easily and goes to ground unnecessarily. He might make it at premier level, and I hope he does, but there are no guarantees.
If we can get a reasonable price that's fine...if we get a price and the loan back even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hill83

Not sure he's as good as made out to be. Anyone remember ozil against England in 2010? Bit older admittedly but also international game in a world cup. He was and is a class apart to maddison. Also remember how good alli was for mk dons before he left?

Yeah remember Zidane? He had a better touch.

hill83

Yeah he weren't bad. Is he really in the same league as maddison tho?

No. And neither is/was Ozil. Which was my point.
Maddison is nowhere near ready for premier league football yet. But top clubs pay big money for potential.
Ronaldinho was half decent too.

Also nobody picked on your Deli Alli example as that's a relatively comparable one.

Covstu

I think he is a talent no doubt but he needs at least another season if not two to become more accomplished. We can give him that but a premier league team won't. Anything over 5m that we should accept but ensure there are further clauses down the line. Realistically he wouldn't get close to both of their sides, probably more chance with Liverpool but you know Klopp will invest in the summer.

If he was moving to the prem, I would say a club like Stoke would be a better fit for him given the style of play but hopefully we can keep hold of him for another year if not good luck to him and let's get as much as we can

Littlewood CCFC

I agree he's the best we've got but it's whether or not he can step up. The clubs involved are top sides with a lot ofccompetition for places. Personally think he should stay here for at least another season to aid his development. Preferably in the championship. Might just be me but think he could also do with spending some time in the gym. The stronger he is the more his technical ability will shine imo.

I do agree there, he's too lightweight and goes down too easy sometimes

SkyBlueZack

People are saying best English player of his generation. I compare him to delle alli. Similar age. Similar position. Similar story. You say nothing about that. The comparison to ozil as explained previously is that this is the competition he would face in the arsenal team for example. Ozil was only a couple of years older and nominated for player of the tournament in footballs biggest competition. Do you think maddison will be that good in 2 years? Scholes weren't too bad at picking a pass.

runner

Will test CCFC's resolve ... the clause to have him to the end of the season might just tempt them ... but if we went up ... he's playing Championship football, we could keep him without the need to sell him ... his contracts got longevity ... I'd keep personally, but agree ... £10m and I'd take it .. as that will bolster things nicely for Mowbray, providing Sisu release the cash to him to spend. Bit IF .

malkitccfc

I'd say sell him and buy Kemar Roofe but frightened the thread might go off like the other one! We've shown we can cope without him.

Perhaps Real Madrid might come in for him before their transfer ban kicks in

Sky Blue Jack

I'd wait until the summer to sell him personally, if he plays a big part in promotion his value will shoot up again and as far as I'm aware we're not under pressure to sell now anyway. Hopefully we'll get £7m+ for him and TM will get a portion of it to either spend on making us competitive in the Championship next year or have another crack at promotion from L1

Astute

In the circumstances while the club was leaking so much money it was the true price, the tactic of moving the club to Northampton devalued the Arena and player assets both!

So the value of Wilson because we were skint is the same as his true value?

Astute

I would be very happy for Maddison to be sold for a decent amount if we could keep him until the end of the season and TM was given 60% of the fee to further strengthen our squad. And then see him go to Walsall and Burton with very tempting offers for their best players. Strengthen us and weaken them.

Skyblueweeman

I wondered what Pleat was doing at the Walsall game...saw him in one of the lounges before KO. The penny didn't drop at that point.

I think with Maddison, it's now a question of when, not if. I think he'll be here to the Summer as I cannot see clubs spending big on him to play him on the run in. You look at the players they're bringing in and they're all experienced pretty much. I suspect he'll go in the summer and I'd hope that we get at least £5m for him with a one season loan back. If he went to a PL club in the summer, I reckon he'd only get League Cup run outs anyway unless he drastically develops further in the next 6 months.

Covstu

£2m in this league though could bring in some real quality.
Agreed but time is short to get anyone in! I would prefer us to sell him in the summer if we really have too. Baring in mind we loose Murphy and armo so two key gaps that need filling with quality.

Otis

Agreed but time is short to get anyone in! I would prefer us to sell him in the summer if we really have too. Baring in mind we loose Murphy and armo so two key gaps that need filling with quality.
Yep time is short, but I bet Venus and Mowbray have a contingency in place that if they sell such a such a player for this amount who can we have lined up etc.

I'm sure they will have done that for Maddison and Fleck and JOB and RCC etc.

Covstu

Yep time is short, but I bet Venus and Mowbray have a contingency in place that if they sell such a such a player for this amount who can we have lined up etc.

I'm sure they will have done that for Maddison and Fleck and JOB and RCC etc.
Let's hope your right

AFCCOVENTRY

Funny thing is...how influential has Madderz been to our season considering he has been out injured for most of it?

We get a decent sum which TM can put straight into the team to get us promoted and with JM loaned back to us is a win win situation for all.

We need to sign our own attacking players such as wingers and strikers at an age in their early-mid 20s

rob9872

I can't believe you all thought he was crap on Saturday. I thought he was best player on show by a mile in the first half. They hacked him down so much, some of his end product couldn't be delivered, but some of his touches sublime I'm.

torchomatic

He was brilliant at winning free kicks. Didn't think he particularly stood out.

Rodders1

Not sure of the exact figures but:

Damaria Grey - brum to Leicester - £4mil
Sam Byram - Leeds to Everton - £3.7mil?

Both could have short contracts I don't know, but they are great you English players. Makes me think that £5mil is all we could get for Maddison.

SlowerThanPlatt

Gray had a release clause and Byram's contract expires at the end of the season.

Maddison signed a 3 and a half year contract back in November 2014

mechaishida

Reality kicks in, and anything between £5-£10 million for Madders would be phenomenal to the club. Let's be frank, he's a prodigy who shows a few glimpses of his ultimate potential; he's been a somewhat bit-part player because of injuries and form etc. Therefore, to sell him for huge money is an instant 'yes please Spurs', whether we regain him on loan is by the by...if we don't get him back, we're only missing out on his brief glimpses of genius.

Maddison will be a star, just probably not in a Sky Blue shirt. If we get a handsome fee for him, brilliant, we can use a portion to get some talent in and some can go towards next year's budget. SISU can line their pockets with the rest, everyone's happy.

Time for Spurs to fill Pleat's pockets with cash and send him on over to Fisher's office.

Users who are viewing this thread