Ashes 2023 (2 Viewers)

Finham

Mousley is a top prospect reminds me a lot of Stokes, Yates is progressing again and watch out for Bethell once fully fit that boy is special
I was just surprised as Mousley's FC average isn't spectacular (still no 100?) and he's already 22. But Clive "rates him VERY highly" so I am sure he'll come good!

Terry Gibson's perm

I was just surprised as Mousley's FC average isn't spectacular (still no 100?) and he's already 22. But Clive "rates him VERY highly" so I am sure he'll come good!

He has given it away when approaching a couple of times as he bats in a rush at times.

tisza

Interested to see what lessons they've learnt from the series.
Key one (especially with India coming up) is to find proper spinners. Think Leach would have done this summer in terms of Aussie left handers and creating pressure but having to call Ali out of retirement a sad comment on county cricket ATM.
India going to be a real rest when trying to score quickly on slow turners. Maybe realize don't have to clear the boundary rope and 3 2s an over is still 6 runs.

CCFCSteve

Key one (especially with India coming up) is to find proper spinners. Think Leach would have done this summer in terms of Aussie left handers and creating pressure but having to call Ali out of retirement a sad comment on county cricket ATM.
India going to be a real rest when trying to score quickly on slow turners. Maybe realize don't have to clear the boundary rope and 3 2s an over is still 6 runs.

I think they learned that during the series mate. It was only the weather in the last half of the series that meant we had to push really hard. Without that we wouldn’t have won last night or had a sniff at drawn game. I personally think it was only lords against shortball where we looked reckless

Agree about spinners. Hoping Ahmed can kick on and he looks like he could be talented. Ashes would’ve been too early though. Leach as more holder/control

ovduk78

Did anybody hear the stat on TMS that Australia bowled the fewest maidens ever in a 5 match test series? I think it was 34 and the lowest before was 86. England bowled over a hundred.

David O'Day

it's not quite the same but they have played "Bazball" in Pakistan with great success

tisza

I think they learned that during the series mate. It was only the weather in the last half of the series that meant we had to push really hard. Without that we wouldn’t have won last night or had a sniff at drawn game. I personally think it was only lords against shortball where we looked reckless

Agree about spinners. Hoping Ahmed can kick on and he looks like he could be talented. Ashes would’ve been too early though. Leach as more holder/control
Still this issue with the way CC is set up atm. Ahmed has only bowled 100 overs (over 8 games) in red ball cricket so far this summer. Because of the calendar (and effect on pitches) bowling overs and wickets dominated by seamers.

David O'Day

Still this issue with the way CC is set up atm. Ahmed has only bowled 100 overs (over 8 games) in red ball cricket so far this summer. Because of the calendar (and effect on pitches) bowling overs and wickets dominated by seamers.
Ahmed will get a chance in India

tisza

Ahmed will get a chance in India
Sure but because there is little else available. That's not a comment on his ability but where he is at in terms of development. More the point was his development is difficult/hindered by the lack of overs he's bowling in a UK season - spinners more than quicks need overs to learn their "craft".

tisza

Another thing I've missed is why exactly were the Ashes crammed into a basically 5-6 week window? World cup isn't until October. Protecting the Hundred?

Terry Gibson's perm

For India the spinners will be Ahmed, Dawson and Root having to support, if they make a space Lawrence may throw down some of his filth as well.

David O'Day

Only needs one of T20 or the Hundred. To squeeze ashes into such a short period when it sold out every day of every test (apart from maybe rain days I guess) was an embarrassing decision
The players are also happier with the shorter tours

Brighton Sky Blue

Only needs one of T20 or the Hundred. To squeeze ashes into such a short period when it sold out every day of every test (apart from maybe rain days I guess) was an embarrassing decision
Supposing we had a normal July with summer weather I’d be interested to see how the crowds and revenue from 25 days of Ashes cricket compares to the Hundred.

Wouldn’t we also normally be playing ODIs and T20s against the Aussies afterwards?

tisza

looks like Hundred could go soon. Calendar and the domestic T20 isn't financially strong enough to compete with existing & new international T20s competitions. Hundred hasn't brought in the international star names and is impacting T20 revenue by being in the prime month of August. ECB & counties (in particular) looking at changes but under pressure as women's game does get better exposure through the HUndred tv coverage

SBAndy

looks like Hundred could go soon. Calendar and the domestic T20 isn't financially strong enough to compete with existing & new international T20s competitions. Hundred hasn't brought in the international star names and is impacting T20 revenue by being in the prime month of August. ECB & counties (in particular) looking at changes but under pressure as women's game does get better exposure through the HUndred tv coverage

Good. Waste of time. Trying to solve a problem that didn’t exist. It’s a shame the women’s game may suffer as a result but could they not just look to replicate what they’ve done back in a T20 format?

chiefdave

My money is on the Hundred changing to T20 and the Blast being binned off, it's already being pushed to the fringes. Or it will be a 2nd tier competition for the players not in the Hundred like they've done with the One Day Cup.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Strange comments from McGrath and Ponting

Oz tried and failed to get the ball changed about 100 times during the series. It's never going to be identical to the existing one.

For all their 'whinging Poms' comments, I've never seem them lot lose gracefully!!...

2005 - 'Wah-wah, you used sub fielders too much'
2009 - 'Wah-wah, you made the Oval too spinney'
2013 - 'Wah-wah, Broady didn't walk'
2015 - 'Wah-wah, you made the pitches too green'
2019 - 'Wah-wah, Stokes was plumb at Headingly and not given'
2023 - 'Wah-wah, you got a shiny replacement ball'

Brighton Sky Blue

Oz tried and failed to get the ball changed about 100 times during the series. It's never going to be identical to the existing one.

For all their 'whinging Poms' comments, I've never seem them lot lose gracefully!!...

No whinging in 2010/11, they just got their pants pulled down on home turf

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m looking forward to the one day cup more than this hundred thing, I would like to see a new version of the Sunday league for the county sides.

County championship played in the summer with no overseas allowed from the touring side.
T20 tournament
Sunday league 50 over game

Grendel

Strange comments from McGrath and Ponting

Ponting was going on about it all day. To be fair even Agnew said the replacement was clearly newer

McGrath acknowledges that it did not cause the defeat. He was pretty scathing about the Australian team in the last two games

Brighton Sky Blue

Ponting was going on about it all day. To be fair even Agnew said the replacement was clearly newer

McGrath acknowledges that it did not cause the defeat. He was pretty scathing about the Australian team in the last two games
If you acknowledge that it didn't materially change the game then why go on about it?

Grendel

tisza

If their batsman had been better he'd got his head out of the way then there wouldn't have been a ball change😄 so it's their own fault.

Users who are viewing this thread