Attendance fluctuations (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

Alan Dugdales Moustache's comment on another thread got me thinking about attendances:

We are scraping wins like today and are hanging on to the coat tails of smaller clubs who appear to have more genuine momentum to get promoted.
I can't remember when we last won 3 in a row, but if we did, you'd see crowds increase. It may be only a thousand or so or even less to begin with, but if beyond that we put together an unbeaten run of wins and draws, playing attractive , positive football , we would be getting up to 8,000. The problem is no one is seeing anything at home that looks convincing, that makes them leave the Ricoh thinking they can't wait for the next home game. It's disjointed, disorganised and difficult to watch. If I didn't know the league table, I'd say we were mid table at best given our home form, and yet here we are still in touch with the play offs. It's a strange situation but I'm still to be convinced that we are the best team in this league. We might well be the best team to miss out on the play offs however.

Here's our results chart for the season. I've added 'league position' + day the game occured on +Attendance + Previous result + Attendance change from previous home game.
For the colour coding:
Day: Saturday = Green, Midweek = Red
Attendance: >8000 = Green, 7000 - 7999 = Amber, <6000 = Red
Previous result: Win = Green, Draw = Amber, Loss = Red
Attendance Change: Increase = Green, Decrease = Red
Attendances.png

In terms of what the above numbers lack:
1) Previous result is irrespective of whether it was home or away. How much does the previous performance impact our home crowd if the previous performance was away?
2) There's no split of travelling fans for the home games vs Crewe or the away games at Stevenage and Morecambe (if anyone knows a good source of this data I'll update it). Does the prospect of a good away following increase our own attendance?
3) Cup results - Do cup performances, at the early stages of competitions that we're in, impact league attendances ?

Largest attendance: 10350 vs Notts County on the opening day
Lowest attendance: 6151 vs Carlisle on a Tuesday night
Biggest positive fluctuation: +2189 vs Exeter - First home game after the Carlisle midweek game.
Biggest negative fluctuation: -2029 vs Crawley - This one was surprising as it was on the back of a win and a draw and we were 6th going into the game. Did the Jodi Jones injury vs Stevenage really put that many people off or was Mansfield's away following so high?

To answer the question on 3 games won in a row - Exeter, Swindon, Crewe. Attendance dropped for Crewe but I'd wager Exeter brought a lot more fans than Crewe.

I'm not trying to draw conclusions anyway, just presenting some of the factors that might influence attendance. If anything the timing of our good run in September looks unlucky with the way the fixtures worked out. We'd won 4 home games in a row and 5 out of the last 6 home and away but then had the terrible away performances at Barnet and Accrington and then the next home game was FGR at home on a Tuesday which was the 2nd lowest gate of the season.

I thought it might provide some interesting talking points anyway as there's a lot of bickering going on considering we won on Saturday!

Last edited:

RFC

Alan Dugdales Moustache's comment on another thread got me thinking about attendances:

Here's our results chart for the season. I've added 'league position' + day the game occured on +Attendance + Previous result + Attendance change from previous home game.
For the colour coding:
Day: Saturday = Green, Midweek = Red
Attendance: >8000 = Green, 7000 - 7999 = Amber, <6000 = Red
Previous result: Win = Green, Draw = Amber, Loss = Red
Attendance Change: Increase = Green, Decrease = Red
View attachment 8582

In terms of what the above numbers lack:
1) Previous result is irrespective of whether it was home or away. How much does the previous performance impact our home crowd if the previous performance was away?
2) There's no split of travelling fans in the attendance numbers (if anyone knows a good source of this data I'll update it). Does the prospect of a good away following increase our own attendance?
3) Cup results - Do cup performances, at the early stages of competitions that we're in, impact league attendances ?

Largest attendance: 10350 vs Notts County onthe opening day
Lowest attendance: 6151 vs Carlisle on a Tuesday night
Biggest positive fluctuation: +2189 vs Exeter - First home game after the Carlisle midweek game.
Biggest negative fluctuation: -2029 vs Crawley - This one was surprising as it was on the back of a win and a draw and we were 6th going into the game. Did the Jodi Jones injury vs Stevenage really put that many people off or was Mansfield's away following so high?

To answer the question on 3 games won in a row - Exeter, Swindon, Crewe. Attendance dropped for Crewe but I'd wager Exeter brought a lot more fans than Crewe.

I'm not trying to draw conclusions anyway, just presenting some of the factors that might influence attendance. If anything the timing of our good run in September looks unlucky with the way the fixtures worked out. We'd won 4 home games in a row and 5 out of the last 6 home and away but then had the terrible away performances at Barnet and Accrington and then the next home game was FGR at home on a Tuesday which was the 2nd lowest gate of the season.

I thought it might provide some interesting talking points anyway as there's a lot of bickering going on considering we won on Saturday!.

Very interesting, do you have any detailed information about our away support?

Esoterica

Very interesting, do you have any detailed information about our away support?
I've updated the table with the away attendances and the split of cov fans where available. Can't find even the overall attendance for the Stevenage game*. Suspect the Press Association struggle for midweek games.

*EDIT: Sky have it as 2544 but no split.

Gazolba

There are many factors other than football ones that affect attendance.
Other commitments, the weather, your finances etc.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I wonder what the difference is between the percentage of walk up fans on last season. In fact how many walk ups do we get a week?

I think the cost on the gate has put a large amount of people off. Especially with the drop in ST sales, those people who didn't renew have even less incentive on a casual Saturday. Lose/lose really.

robbiekeane

I wonder what the difference is between the percentage of walk up fans on last season. In fact how many walk ups do we get a week?

I think the cost on the gate has put a large amount of people off. Especially with the drop in ST sales, those people who didn't renew have even less incentive on a casual Saturday. Lose/lose really.
Come on...does a few pounds in a day stop people going?

Must be the most price elastic good in the world

robbiekeane

Yes it does stop people.

It will also hold us back if we are there or there abouts later in the season.
So if something was £18 there are people who would go but if it's £20 they would say no? (adjust levels accordingly)

Genuinely not being a twat just find it hard to believe

skybluesam66

The fisher bollocks again
At sixfields he said in League one 5000- 7000 people paying £9 each and we would be able to put out a very competitive team
so how come 7000 people in league 2 paying an average of double that and we are struggling to make ends meet

jimmyhillsfanclub

At sixfields he said in League one 5000- 7000 people paying £9 each and we would be able to put out a very competitive team
so how come 7000 people in league 2 paying an average of double that and we are struggling to make ends meet

....because hes full of shit.

clint van damme

Away fans in League 2:

fair play to Grimsby, small town, arse end of nowhere. Over 700 average, impressive.

Nick

Administrator
We just need to get some of the bigger away followings to us... Sending all that cash into the opposition budgets.

Grendel

Because there was some significant cash injection that season

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'm guessing that there is generally a limit to away fans that will impact on the statistics. For instance, we were in league 1 not so long ago with a 7,000 following at MK. Would Lincoln , Notts County or Luton take that many under the same circumstances ?

Nick

Administrator
For someone who doesn't like to fall in or take other POV's on board you sure do Imply what others should be doing an awful lot.

I'm saying we need to get the Lutons and Lincolns to us that will bring a big away following? Even Grimsby and probably Swindon will bring a few.

We have played most of those away so far and sent loads of fans there, so they can do the same on the return fixture as we have sent them a decent wedge by selling out a lot of allocations.

Adge

I'm saying we need to get the Lutons and Lincolns to us that will bring a big away following? Even Grimsby and probably Swindon will bring a few.

We have played most of those away so far and sent loads of fans there, so they can do the same on the return fixture as we have sent them a decent wedge by selling out a lot of allocations.
No-hope they don't bring many. Less money then for Sisu's employees to fill up thier Jags with.

ccfcway

We just need to get some of the bigger away followings to us... Sending all that cash into the opposition budgets.

interesting comment

I'd look closer to home and ask how many of these away fans don't go to home games....

Nick

Administrator
No-hope they don't bring many. Less money then for Sisu's employees to fill up thier Jags with.

Being as you brag about buying expensive tickets, paying to go to kit launches but turning your nose up at family zone raffles in case money goes to CCFC, it's a bit of a strange view.

Nick

Administrator
interesting comment

I'd look closer to home and ask how many of these away fans don't go to home games....

It isn't really. If we are sending big away followings that's a nice chunk of cash for opposition teams.

ccfcway

Being as you brag about buying expensive tickets, paying to go to kit launches but turning your nose up at family zone raffles in case money goes to CCFC, it's a bit of a strange view.

but one we would be happy with as he is filling the coffers more than the average fan ?. I'd much rather him spend money on CCFC and moan about them than not spend any money and moan :)

Adge

giphy.gif

Hey, that's one we forgot about last night from the list-a "brag" emoji. Only for me though of course.

Users who are viewing this thread