Autos vs Play-off Win (1 Viewer)

Kneeza

All academic atm, and apologies if this has been covered already (please point me to the thread if so).
But... what are the financial implications of a top-place (or second) as opposed to a play-off win?
I guess there's a decent sum awarded to the champions, but how does it compare to the revenues gained from a Wembley win?

speedie87

Think the ways the playoffs work is the money from the semi finals and final get split around, so would be more money from being in playoffs.

We need autos though , playoffs delay end of season by a month which impacts on pre season , a month delay also has massive impact on knowing which division you are in and transfer targets.

Kneeza

No question we need autos.
I kind of assumed it might be slightly more lucrative via Wembley though, which seems a little unfair on the side that has proved to be the best over a season.
C'est la vie though.

Frank Sidebottom

There is no prize money for winning the play offs. 50% of net gate receipts from the play off semis is split between the 4 teams taking part. The other 50% is added to the pool account. For the final 50% of gate receipts is split between the 2 teams taking part and the other 50% added to the pool account. The pool account is split evenly between the teams in the league.
As I understand it every team in league one gets the same amount in prize money. Roughly £650-700k. There is no extra prize for finishing as champions.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Autos guarantees promotion and the extra revenue (and costs) that go with it. Play-offs are only worthwhile if you win them. There's no guarantee of that (we won them after finishing in 6th place) and given our position at the moment to miss out on automatics would be deflating and we'd likely be in a rut whereas a team below may be on the up and buzzing they sneaked in. If we then didn't win them the effect on the squad going into next season could be huge and we could end up losing some of our best players (regardless of the loanees going back).

It's too high risk. The potential downsides of the play-off lottery massively outweigh any potential extra income from the extra games and It has to be a preference to autos just for that.

Kneeza

Autos all the way. Like I said - no argument; I was just seeking clarity, having the feeling that play-offs resulted in more cash. Seems I was right, and it still seems somewhat unfair.
It also seems that the EFL runs the league in much the same way that the RFU runs its own top league. Abysmally.
But I already knew that.
Thanks for the answers.

Users who are viewing this thread