Ban on eBikes and eScooters in Town (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
How do they expect to police this and fine people wearing balaclavas?

shmmeee

So they’re banning bikes basically? Why not just have mobility lanes it’s not like there’s not enough space. Just needs a bit of paint then fine anyone outside them.

Nuskyblue

So they’re banning bikes basically? Why not just have mobility lanes it’s not like there’s not enough space. Just needs a bit of paint then fine anyone outside them.
I think we can class e-bikes as a different entity.

The speed that they belt up and down pavements is outrageous, they must be doing north of 30mph and Coventry city centre is crawling with them.

robbiekeane

The speed that they belt up and down pavements is outrageous, they must be doing north of 30mph and Coventry city centre is crawling with them.
Hence his suggestion to just have decent bike/mobility lanes? I get jts annoying when they’re on pavements and that but just regulate and have specific areas for them and problem solved.
The alternative is having more cars in the centre isn’t it.

Very odd move in my opinion by authorities who are supposed to be promoting green forms of transport.

*disclaimer I don’t live in Coventry so don’t care that much

Nick

Administrator
Hence his suggestion to just have decent bike/mobility lanes? I get jts annoying when they’re on pavements and that but just regulate and have specific areas for them and problem solved.

Very odd move in my opinion by authorities who are supposed to be promoting green forms of transport.

I think it means people flying about by Cathedral Lanes rather than those commuting into the city on the roads.

robbiekeane

I think it means people flying about by Cathedral Lanes rather than those commuting into the city on the roads.
Yeh i dunno, they've done a really good job in Melbourne of having bike lanes all the way from the burbs into and around the CBD area. The e-scooters then go into "slow" mode automatically when they get into certain areas with heavy pedestrians

Nuskyblue

The ebikes should be road only imo. It's all a moot point as it won't be policed at all.

And I think the bit that they're banning them from is the pedestrianised centre (this is from memory and may very well be wrong). The bulk of these will be people's just eat and deliveroo orderes being fulfilled

shmmeee

The ebikes should be road only imo. It's all a moot point as it won't be policed at all.

And I think the bit that they're banning them from is the pedestrianised centre (this is from memory and may very well be wrong). The bulk of these will be people's just eat and deliveroo orderes being fulfilled

e-bikes are limited to 15.5mph why on earth should they be road only?

If people want food delivered and people want to earn money delivering food I really don’t see the issue.

shmmeee

Ah I see. Those aren’t e-bikes. Those are electric mopeds basically.

shmmeee

Thing is be it e-bikes without a resrictor, electric scooters, unicycles, hoverboards, mobility scooters even clearly this class of vehicle is here to stay and is just going to get cheaper and more accessible. Trying to pretend it doesn’t exist is silly.

Nuskyblue

Ah I see. Those aren’t e-bikes. Those are electric mopeds basically.
Nah, the bulk are ebikes but with a big ole box on the back full of delicious food (they look like mountain bikes). I guess because the rider need to be somewhere they always seem to be going at full pelt (nearly always on pavements).

It is pretty dangerous, more for kids than anything.

wingy

If people want food delivered and people want to earn money delivering food I really don’t see the issue.
You're kidding the limits are bogus, 40 kms per hour, the delivery guys round my way are, I'm not bothered where they go just that there are enough of them.

Nuskyblue

Thing is be it e-bikes without a resrictor, electric scooters, unicycles, hoverboards, mobility scooters even clearly this class of vehicle is here to stay and is just going to get cheaper and more accessible. Trying to pretend it doesn’t exist is silly.
Like you say having an area for them to be used is the solution but it's is one that probably wouldn't work because the British general public wouldn't comply

shmmeee

Nah, the bulk are ebikes but with a big ole box on the back full of delicious food (they look like mountain bikes). I guess because the rider need to be somewhere they always seem to be going at full pelt (nearly always on pavements).

It is pretty dangerous, more for kids than anything.

Nonliterally they’re not e-bikes by definition. An e-bike is pedal assist only and limited to 15.5mph. Electric moped types with complete electric power and no speed restriction I think are illegal imports. But my point still stands, you clearly can’t stop people buying these, may as well facilitate them. Proper mobility lanes do that. I wouldn’t want to walk around Amsterdam without bike lanes, it would be chaos and extremely dangerous just with human powered vehicles.

We have this with every electric personal mobility vehicle and it’s just government being slow to react to technology.

shmmeee

Like you say having an area for them to be used is the solution but it's is one that probably wouldn't work because the British general public wouldn't comply

Well then they won’t comply with a banning order either!

Nuskyblue

If they're limited to 15.5mph I'll suck of Jacob Recee-Mogg!

Nuskyblue

Nonliterally they’re not e-bikes by definition. An e-bike is pedal assist only and limited to 15.5mph. Electric moped types with complete electric power and no speed restriction I think are illegal imports. But my point still stands, you clearly can’t stop people buying these, may as well facilitate them. Proper mobility lanes do that. I wouldn’t want to walk around Amsterdam without bike lanes, it would be chaos and extremely dangerous just with human powered vehicles.

We have this with every electric personal mobility vehicle and it’s just government being slow to react to technology.
Ahh I understand the classification now, these would be moped types by definition if that's correct.

shmmeee

Ahh I understand the classification now, these would be moped types by definition if that's correct.

Yeah have a look at the link I posted. Basically what we’re seeing all the delivery drivers on are untaxed and insured mopeds and as such are already illegal.

Nuskyblue

To be honest I have no particular issue, I can just see where they're (the council re the ban) coming from. Maybe with all the work they had done in the city centre they could have made provision for this sort of thing but then the plans were probably passed off before these were in wide spread use.

wingy

Why the fuss anyway haven't people realised we're a third world nation yet? It's simple if you want to keep a roof over your head get an electric bike.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You can usually tell which mode of transport people use by their opinions on where bikes should be, assuming no separate lane for them is available. People who drive largely want them on the pavements and those that walk/travel by bus want them on the road.

As someone who does both regularly, I see both arguments. On the rare occassions I cycle I want to be on the pavement as it feels so much safer. The reason I don't cycle more is because legally you're supposed to be on the road and that's just terrifying. Going by the physics it makes more sense for them to be on the pavement as well, as there is less chance of serious or fatal injury due to the lower forces involved if either should have a collision.

I think really it needs to be linked to speed. If you're like me and just want to leisurely ride along at say 10mph then pavement is fine. If you're hurtling along at nearer 20 you should be on the road, though policing it would be expensive as they don't seem to bother much with road speed limits most of the time.

E-scooters and bikes are a slightly different matter as they can consistently go at a decent speed which IMO is too fast for the pavement, but arguably too slow for the roads. Of the two though I think they should be on the road.

Of course the best solution is to have cycle lanes everywhere, but that isn't going to be feasible without very complicated and expensive redesigning of roads etc. and many of the ones they have done are clearly hampered by an inability to do so and frankly are rubbish. The one along the Binley road is an absolute shitshow (though that could have easily been better designed in lots of places)

Nick

Administrator

How many are limited?

Surely if they are delivery people they can still just not ride them on pavements and pedestrianised places?

If they go on the road they should be classified the same as a 50cc moped and insured etc.

Sick Boy

You can usually tell which mode of transport people use by their opinions on where bikes should be, assuming no separate lane for them is available. People who drive largely want them on the pavements and those that walk/travel by bus want them on the road.

As someone who does both regularly, I see both arguments. On the rare occassions I cycle I want to be on the pavement as it feels so much safer. The reason I don't cycle more is because legally you're supposed to be on the road and that's just terrifying. Going by the physics it makes more sense for them to be on the pavement as well, as there is less chance of serious or fatal injury due to the lower forces involved if either should have a collision.

I think really it needs to be linked to speed. If you're like me and just want to leisurely ride along at say 10mph then pavement is fine. If you're hurtling along at nearer 20 you should be on the road, though policing it would be expensive as they don't seem to bother much with road speed limits most of the time.

E-scooters and bikes are a slightly different matter as they can consistently go at a decent speed which IMO is too fast for the pavement, but arguably too slow for the roads. Of the two though I think they should be on the road.

Of course the best solution is to have cycle lanes everywhere, but that isn't going to be feasible without very complicated and expensive redesigning of roads etc. and many of the ones they have done are clearly hampered by an inability to do so and frankly are rubbish. The one along the Binley road is an absolute shitshow (though that could have easily been better designed in lots of places)
10mph when there are people walking on pavements is hardly a leisurely speed and could easily injure a pedestrian.

shmmeee

Fact is we’ve got too many cars for our roads and that makes them unsafe for anyone who isn’t in a car. So someone needs to provide routes for people who aren’t walking or driving. Yet it seems to annoy people more than anything else. God knows why.

David O'Day

How many are limited?

Surely if they are delivery people they can still just not ride them on pavements and pedestrianised places?

If they go on the road they should be classified the same as a 50cc moped and insured etc.
all if they are brought legally

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

10mph when there are people walking on pavements is hardly a leisurely speed and could easily injure a pedestrian.
10mph while cars are on the road is a very leisurely speed and a car hitting them would almost certainly severely injure a cyclist.

Marty

Nothing wrong with banning them from pedestrian areas of the city centre. The Burges is a nightmare now due to the delivery riders dumping there bikes everywhere.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Estimated one million "illegal" e-scooters in the UK..... and by illegal, they actually just mean privately owned and not part of the corporate trials by Voi and the like.

Massive opportunity missed during Covid to permanently reclaim some of the streets from cars & make them exclusive for the use of bikes, scooters, skateboards, unicycles, rollerblades, hoverboards etc.

Users who are viewing this thread