Bayliss market value (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

So do you think with all this Fisher will still be telling everyone we have a budget around 8th in the division ?!

fernandopartridge

With the standard of the Championship increasing, and the success of young players like Maddison and Sessegnon (and others), I can see the Championship being a preferred destination for young players in the coming years. For young players, the Premiership is actually not that good a destination because first-team opportunities are so rare.

Not sure why that is tbh, 75% of the teams in the Prem are a bad run away from going down and are of a similar standard to 75% of the teams in the Championship.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not sure why that is tbh, 75% of the teams in the Prem are a bad run away from going down and are of a similar standard to 75% of the teams in the Championship.

TV money. Prem teams get so much TV money they can go out and buy ‘established’ players from abroad or the pick of the litter in the league’s below. As you point out, a team is only a bad run away from getting relegated. Look at Southampton, they had the ‘luxury’ to sack Puel because he didn’t play ‘attractive’ football, and they avoided relegation narrowly whilst they’re stuck with Mark Hughes. Meanwhile, Puel was sat comfortably in 9th...

It’s way you see so many mediorce foreign-born players in the Prem. There’s no incentive to develop your own players in the Prem, minus the odd occasion. Part the reason I quite liked Villa under O’Neill was because they were probably the only team with a majority of English players (before anyone bites my head off, I’ve never experienced a Cov v Villa tie — the hate isn’t there for me).

Mucca Mad Boys

I don't see like that, why would you turn down all that money, most fringe youth players will be loaned out somewhere anyway, like the Championship.

You’re overly cynical here. Ofc money plays a significant factor, but it certainly isn’t the be all and end all. Career development is just as important for footballers, why would Allassani, for example, choose us over Championship or the Old Firm clubs? Judging by how early this transfer was, it probably wouldn’t have matter if we got promoted or not. Suggesting that he thought we probably offered a better opportunity to advance his career.

Athletes typically want to be the best they can be and test themselves at the highest possible standard. For Thomas, yes he got paid more money for Leicester to sit in their U23s, but the potential for 1st team football (at his hometown team) wouldve been a massive ‘pull’ too, factor in we got relegated, staying with us, in his mind, probably would’ve been a step down. In this example, I think he’s wasted a year of his development, but I can see why he’d want to move to Leicester.

Despite Bayliss’ talent and potential, I think if he does move, it’s too a team that will give him the best first team opportunities.

ccfchoi87

In my opinion it's because relegation from the premiership is such a financial blow that owners and managers alike won't risk bringing in youngsters. It's easier in the championship for the top teams as there isn't the fear of relegation hanging over you.

Users who are viewing this thread