Ben Sheaf Assist (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

I think it was. It was after Kelly got injured and he was just in the box to be a distraction.

It was. Just looked it up, forgot it was our first away win and was in mid December!

I hope we get that monkey off our back early this year. Be nice to start at Barnsley!

NorthernWisdom

I noticed Sunday that it was Hamer dropping deep to collect the ball and Shesf playing higher up a lot of the time.

It’s a bugger because a midfield three would be good but then you lose O’Hare (no) or one of the strikers and we don’t really have a striker who excels on his own.
If O'Hare could learn to finish you could push him further forward still, and just have the one traditional striker, who'd still be part of a pair at times anyway.

I actually find O'Hare remarkably frustrating. Before I get pelters for that, I need to emphasise that he's got the promise to be a top, top player, and to get him on a free transfer was an absolute joke really. I genuinely think he could end up top six team in the top flight. However... for the moment, his end product just doesn't match the rest, and that includes his final ball which is often scuffed or inaccurate - even the weekend it wasn't the best pass really, it just fell right.

Of course all that's why he's with us in the first place, but if he can just add that composure, he could fund an entire squad rebuild all by himself.

rexo87

I noticed Sunday that it was Hamer dropping deep to collect the ball and Shesf playing higher up a lot of the time.

It’s a bugger because a midfield three would be good but then you lose O’Hare (no) or one of the strikers and we don’t really have a striker who excels on his own.
Agreed it's a bit of a conundrum. Do think Vic can play on his own with Ohare behind and Kelly, Hamer and Sheaf in midfield. Problem is then when all fit you have 3 strikers in the squad not playing

wingy

The way I see Sheaf is while not having the same game as Bayliss, he is the player I hoped Bayliss would become, and we've got him for around half the fee received.
No brainer for me.

Hertsccfc

The interchange between Sheaf and O'Hare when Sheaf hit the woodwork was great. O'Hare's touch was great and Sheaf was really positive.

Sheaf at £750k will prove to be excellent business.

shmmeee

The interchange between Sheaf and O'Hare when Sheaf hit the woodwork was great. O'Hare's touch was great and Sheaf was really positive.

Sheaf at £750k will prove to be excellent business.

We’ve got real Championship quality on the ball through that midfield now, Dabo and Rose as well IMO, maybe Maatsen. Just need that ball playing LCB!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If O'Hare could learn to finish you could push him further forward still, and just have the one traditional striker, who'd still be part of a pair at times anyway.

I actually find O'Hare remarkably frustrating. Before I get pelters for that, I need to emphasise that he's got the promise to be a top, top player, and to get him on a free transfer was an absolute joke really. I genuinely think he could end up top six team in the top flight. However... for the moment, his end product just doesn't match the rest, and that includes his final ball which is often scuffed or inaccurate - even the weekend it wasn't the best pass really, it just fell right.

Of course all that's why he's with us in the first place, but if he can just add that composure, he could fund an entire squad rebuild all by himself.

If Callum O'Hare gets any better he won't be here long.

larry_david

Once O'Hare gets goals to his name, he's off. Sunday was o'Hare in a nutshell. Skinned two players in the corner flag, all the time in the world to pick out 3 players and he passes straight to the defender in front of him. Luckily we got the lucky break /wonderful assist (?) for Gyo! Let's be honest if that hadn't fallen our way, how incredibly frustrated would we be at Callum?

fernandopartridge

Once O'Hare gets goals to his name, he's off. Sunday was o'Hare in a nutshell. Skinned two players in the corner flag, all the time in the world to pick out 3 players and he passes straight to the defender in front of him. Luckily we got the lucky break /wonderful assist (?) for Gyo! Let's be honest if that hadn't fallen our way, how incredibly frustrated would we be at Callum?
No. Looking at Walker's movement for a tap in, O'Hare tried to put the ball in the place all the defenders least wanted, with the upshot being it ricocheted back into the danger zone and was put away.

fernandopartridge

Here is the "easy" options he had. He undoubtedly chose the correct one
a7cd376c07831e096b1d876f0182f90e.jpg

larry_david

No. Looking at Walker's movement for a tap in, O'Hare tried to put the ball in the place all the defenders least wanted, with the upshot being it ricocheted back into the danger zone and was put away.
Stretching there a bit. He hit the first man, it's what O hare does and if he didn't, he'd be in the Prem. We all know his end product his hit and miss, i'm not having a pop at him. it just sums him up for me. World class then frustrating in one fell swoop.

Tomh111

He also played a sublime outside of the boot pass out to the left at one point. Can't remember who it was to, but it shows some of what he has in his locker

It was out to Maatsen who then cut in and shot wide.

At the time I turned to my friend and said how good it was, the awareness and accuracy on it was remarkable.

Gint11

I think Sheaf could become a really important player for us with game time, experience and nurturing from us (us as in the management team and fans).
He’s young and he’s learning and has learnt some craft at Arsenal. We are seeing glimpses of his ability.
Hopefully the consistency of his ability shows through more often and he will be a cracking player for us. He was unlucky not to score too

shmmeee

23 and a half now. Not that young in footballing terms. Not over the hill... but too old to be a promising youngster.

He’s not even had two seasons of men’s football has he (first cut short by COVID second by injury)? In developmental terms there’s a long way to go.

Edit: three, was at Stevenage before Donny.

Last edited:

SkyBlueGuy

Credit where it’s due sheaf was class last night 👏🏻

I've always had high hopes for him, but I have to say that last season at times he had some really poor games. I saw mentioned that he was carrying a back injury for a while, so maybe that contributed. His start to this has been really strong. He is so calm on the ball and is starting to build a good partnership with Hamer. Last night every time one of them got the ball the other would be close by looking for the pass. He still has a couple of mistakes in him, but he's young and that is to be expected. I'm really hoping he will be a stand out player this season

Evo1883

Like pulling teeth 😁 Come on mate if I can change my mind on Moore you can do better than that!

I was there mate 👍 hamer was outstanding .. sheaf was good..
What more do you want me to say .

He got away with that one first half trying to curl it across the box

Evo1883

Hamer , o hare , dabo

That's the trio 😍

Our forward play relies on this so much

Mind you thought the young Dutch left back was pretty good too .. his stats were impressive too

Evo1883

And @shmmeee I actually said last night we can't put Kelly back in .

Reason is hamer is the terrier , sheaf is the one who breaks up and plays it simple.

You'd couldn't have Kelly and hamer in the same team it would effect our forward play

He's a nice option to have off the bench now

Sick Boy

Reason is hamer is the terrier , sheaf is the one who breaks up and plays it simple.

You'd couldn't have Kelly and hamer in the same team it would effect our forward play

Agreed those saying he should walk straight back into the team are off their heads - he’s a decent back-up option but he’s no longer crucial to how we play.

Liquid Gold

Was just about to post this. They compliment each other very well.

It’s no coincidence Hamer’s best periods last season were when he played alongside Sheaf and now the two are back in Hamer looks his old self.

PVA

Kelly is good at what he does but he is very limited when compared with Sheaf.

Hamer and Sheaf I'm sure will be the first choice pairing this season.

CCFC54321

When Kelly is fit he comes straight back in. Not only is Kelly when fit offers experience but is also a leader. Quietly doing things that help the team over the line. Something that sheaf hasn’t got at present.

last night the back three needed a touch more protection at times and that’s something that Kelly will offer.

fernandopartridge

When Kelly is fit he comes straight back in. Not only is Kelly when fit offers experience but is also a leader. Quietly doing things that help the team over the line. Something that sheaf hasn’t got at present.

last night the back three needed a touch more protection at times and that’s something that Kelly will offer.

We've won 2 out of 3 and completely dominated the best part of the last two games precisely because of the control and passing of our 3 midfielders. Listen to what the Blackpool manager said.

There might be a role for Kelly as a sub helping to protect a lead but given that he doesn't contribute much to actually getting into winning positions he won't be starting ahead of Sheaf.

Users who are viewing this thread