Best film franchise (1 Viewer)

Otis

Okay, so following on from the Star Wars thread, just wondering which film franchise people would say is the best of all time?

A few possible suggestions:

James Bond

Indiana Jones

Scream

Godfather

Lord of the Rings

Die Hard

Back to the Future

Alien

Omen

Toy Story

Harry Potter

Tough one I think, as some of these franchises have had duff films in their series (Die Harder, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, a couple of the Alien ones, Godfather III etc.)

Nick

Administrator
Not seen any of the Fast and Furious films.

Will I be bored if I don't like car chases, Nick?

That's my perception, car chases and crashes.
Yeah they are pretty rubbish, I was just joking :)

Not really that into film franchises, they usually get worse

Otis

Personally I think I would have to go for Harry Potter. Each film was consistently good.

I loved the first 2 Alien films and the first 3 Indiana Jones' and also am a big fan of Die Hard, but that seems to have lost its way and freshness over the years.

James Bond for me is too differential over the years. You watch the Rogers Moore efforts and it's like a different film franchise entirely.

Harry Potter I think, with Back to the Future a close second.

Otis

Yeah they are pretty rubbish, I was just joking :)

Not really that into film franchises, they usually get worse
Would say Harry Potter got better and better, but it's probably the only franchise to do so. Most others seem to get poorer and poorer as they roll on.

Otis

Would say Harry Potter got better and better, but it's probably the only franchise to do so. Most others seem to get poorer and poorer as they roll on.
Obviously being based on a book series that itself got stronger and stronger is a massive advantage to the film makers.

A lot of films simply become franchises on the back of the success of the first outing.

chiefdave

Tough one. I think LOTR was about as good a film adaption as you could ever hope for. Not a huge Harry Potter fan, got them sat on my shelf but have never actually watched them, just picked them up as I saw a Blu Ray boxset super cheap in a sale.

Not sure you'd class it as a franchise as such but since Marvel have started making their own films, and TV shows, they have been consistently good. Looking forward to seeing what they do now they've got the rights to SpiderMan back.

Johnnythespider

Star Trek, LOTR and Harry Potter. But from the list above I think toy story wins

Nick

Administrator
Tough one. I think LOTR was about as good a film adaption as you could ever hope for. Not a huge Harry Potter fan, got them sat on my shelf but have never actually watched them, just picked them up as I saw a Blu Ray boxset super cheap in a sale.

Not sure you'd class it as a franchise as such but since Marvel have started making their own films, and TV shows, they have been consistently good. Looking forward to seeing what they do now they've got the rights to SpiderMan back.
I got bored of the tv show Marvell did, do like some of the films though

Otis

Yes, good call. They have been pretty consistently good.

I wasn't a HP fan at all, Dave, but I watched the first film and thought it was okay, so stuck with it and the films just kept getting darker and darker and better and better. The films grow up as so do the characters.

Really enjoyed the LOTR series. All three films were very strong.

It's a shame the Godfather film series ended with such a whimper, as the first two movies were brilliant.

skybluejelly

Can't believe you missed the rocky films off , a different story every time and clubber Langs acting was Oscar worthy

mechaishida

The Alien franchise would have been my favourite, had Resurrection not tainted the whole thing. Aliens is probably my all-time 'most watched' film, especially the extended version.

I agree that the Bourne series is excellent and probably a good example of a franchise that can sustain a level of quality. LOTR etc, nah, not for me.

Die Hard franchise is also solid, if you discount the heap of camel plop that was Die Hard 5.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Kill Bill 1 & 2.....

I know its only 2 films (so far) but do any other films mentioned in this thread have Uma Thurman in a yellow catsuit?

No?

Therfore, we have a winner.....

Otis

Batman every time
Can't believe it's not in your original list Otis.
As I keep saying as nauseum, Wingy, it's just bleeding suggestions!!!!! ;)

I just thought of a few off the top of my head and stuck them in without any real degree of thought processing. :)

Anyway, been a few dodgy entries in the Batman franchise for sure.

I can only think of 3 franchises that managed to stay consistently really good throughout and that is Harry Potter, LOTR and Toy Story.

Back to the Future is nearly there, though the second film wasn't quite strong enough.

Otis

Kill Bill 1 & 2.....

I know its only 2 films (so far) but do any other films mentioned in this thread have Uma Thurman in a yellow catsuit?

No?

Therfore, we have a winner.....
Well there's Michelle Pffeifer in her Catwoman catsuit. Black has to beat yellow hands down doesn't it?

ajsccfc

Toy Story's the only one I can think of that didn't just maintain quality but actually got better, so that gets my vote.

wingy

Who's that Redhead in the black PVC in the Marvel I think,looks like the one in Luther?
Captain Jack has been pretty successful.

RegTheDonk

Some great ones there. I'd probably add the Pink Panther to the list, Peter Sellers at his best.

Interesting that so many are in the sci-fi or fantasy genera. People often scoff at nerds but when done well, some bloody good films have been made.

For me, guess it would have to be Bond for longevity, can't see that ever stopping and wonder who will be next when Craig hands in his PPK? So I'd say that's been the best film franchise.

As a franchise in general, I'd go with Star Trek - its evolved from a 60's 3 season TV flop into 5 different TV series (with a new one being launched in 2017) with hundreds of episodes, and over a dozen films (and counting). Not everyone likes it but its made a shit load of money.

Can't believe you left out the 'Carry On' franchise:laugh:

Daft as it sounds, this is a great shout, taking into account the era when they came out.

Users who are viewing this thread