Better away from the Ricoh? (1 Viewer)

skybluedude

What is other peoples opinion, on the theory that the Ricoh was a poorly build stadium for playing football in?

We could in theory play better in different stadiums where football was the main focus...like Highfield Road was. Most the threads before we moved out of the Ricoh seemed to have the opinion that we played better away from home, than when we did at the Ricoh. Is there something about the Ricoh that has a negative effect on players? The changing rooms? Something with the pitch and distance from the crowd?

I really hope CCFC play back in Coventry again...but, I am skeptical if I want it to be at the Ricoh.

bigfatronssba

I forgot about our champions league win whilst at highfield rd.

quinn1971

Good point..but it's the fans that make the stadium.highfield rd in it's day was a great atmosphere but was dated.The ricoh is a great ground.fill it with swansea or cardiff fans and it would be an intimidating place to go.10, 000 cov fans in it with nothing to cheer about and its an empty souless bowl....could be a great ground but it might never get the chance to be*one.

skybluedude

Maybe it works best when packed out like the Johnstones Paint Cup last season......or when used as a concert venue. Might just be me but from the first fixture I seen played at the Ricoh it just felt wrong, something is not right about that stadium.

J

Jack Griffin

What is other peoples opinion, on the theory that the Ricoh was a poorly build stadium for playing football in?

We could in theory play better in different stadiums where football was the main focus...like Highfield Road was. Most the threads before we moved out of the Ricoh seemed to have the opinion that we played better away from home, than when we did at the Ricoh. Is there something about the Ricoh that has a negative effect on players? The changing rooms? Something with the pitch and distance from the crowd?

I really hope CCFC play back in Coventry again...but, I am skeptical if I want it to be at the Ricoh.

How do the changing rooms mess up the players, have you ever seen them?

The crowd distance to pitch is about the same as the Emirates & Etihad stadiums.

The real difference is about finances & management.

señor Santiago

The Ricoh is great stadium.It needs better space utilisation, I accept too much area between the pitch and seatings. Advertising hoardings need to be brought up to the grass area. The red area around the pitch needs to be covered by seating, or terracing.Terracing is allowed in the 3 and fouth tier. Since the ricoh is never full the higher tier seating need to to closed off not used .

skybluedude

Never been in the changing rooms but be interested to know from somebody if they are to a good standard? I have been at pitch level and in the dugouts, it just felt generic and grey, nothing screamed out this is CCFC's football stadium...its is municipal and can be converted for different sports and events in no time at all.

J

Jack Griffin

Never been in the changing rooms but be interested to know from somebody if they are to a good standard? I have been at pitch level and in the dugouts, it just felt generic and grey, nothing screamed out this is CCFC's football stadium...its is municipal and can be converted for different sports and events in no time at all.

It is rather different to many stadia, particularly the Lloyds Pharmacy stand..

and you can google the changing rooms http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6123/5990314948_5b33b71132_o.jpg

Samo

Good point..but it's the fans that make the stadium.highfield rd in it's day was a great atmosphere but was dated.The ricoh is a great ground.fill it with swansea or cardiff fans and it would be an intimidating place to go.10, 000 cov fans in it with nothing to cheer about and its an empty souless bowl....could be a great ground but it might never get the chance to be*one.

Agreed. Just needs a good crowd and a reason for there to be one.

SIR ERNIE

The Club's been on a steady downward slide ever since we left HR but that's got nothing to do with the Ricoh.

Southampton had exactly the same problem when they moved to St Marys then in came ambitious owners, results improved and success breeds success, now they're tough to beat at home.

The Ricoh is a facility the people of Coventry can be proud of.

And I do believe we'll be back there looking forward to good times again.

deanocity3

highfield road like any stadium was great when full,I went to HR when the gates were 9,000 v Arsenal,I've heard more noise in a library.
so do we go to a ground of 7,000 fill it,shout for the lads.
by not going it's could Sisu an excuse to sell players to pay bills etc.
I'm not a Sisu fan,and i want them out as much as anyone.If (and it's a big if)Fisher gets a stadium go ahead would you start going to NTFC.

exhallskyblue

The Ricoh is great stadium.It needs better space utilisation, I accept too much area between the pitch and seatings. Advertising hoardings need to be brought up to the grass area. The red area around the pitch needs to be covered by seating, or terracing.Terracing is allowed in the 3 and fouth tier. Since the ricoh is never full the higher tier seating need to to closed off not used .

That is stupid

stevo_ccfc

The team play better away from the boo boys, the 'fans' who go to shout abuse don't generally go to away games or sixfields. The players can then play without fear of being jumped on for one bad pass

M&B Stand

The parking restrictions were not in place for the charity game last sunday, surely they should be scrapped if the club ever came back to the Ricoh.

Johnnythespider

The team play better away from the boo boys, the 'fans' who go to shout abuse don't generally go to away games or sixfields. The players can then play without fear of being jumped on for one bad pass
So those of us who won"t go to Northampton are boo boys, interesting viewpoint.

Maybe it's because there are now only fans that want to get behind them rather that shouting we want SISU out which does not help the players on the pitch??
It also doesn't help when you have a 32000 seater stadium with only 10000 fans spread out all around the stadium, just no real atmosphere.

Johnnythespider

Maybe it's because there are now only fans that want to get behind them rather that shouting we want SISU out which does not help the players on the pitch??
It also doesn't help when you have a 32000 seater stadium with only 10000 fans spread out all around the stadium, just no real atmosphere.
So 1200 at sixfields in a 7500 seater is better ?

chiefdave

I'm not a Sisu fan,and i want them out as much as anyone.If (and it's a big if)Fisher gets a stadium go ahead would you start going to NTFC.

If Fisher came out and gave evidence we have purchased a site, has plans for the stadium, funding and timescales then I think it could be considered by many. Personally I'd also want some explanation of the business plan that shows we are better off with a new stadium than renting the Ricoh and that the new stadium will belong to CCFC and we won't be paying rent to SISU.

Users who are viewing this thread