Big Cyrille (2 Viewers)

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I did meet Cyrille at Edgbaston test match in 1985. He wasn't that happy at the time at City and wanted a move.
I am so glad he didn't and stayed.
I was one of the many who went to final game at Arsenal in 1991 just to see him play one more time for Coventry City.
You will always be remembered for being one the very best Coventry players of all time and one of the very best in your generation.

Thanks Cyrille .
Just after 1500 today, saw phone message from one of my best friends. Photo of that day in 1985 at Edgbaston test match with Cyrille ,Brendon Batson and my friends and I.
Lovely to see this and yes Cyrille was smiling!!

rupert_bear

A sad but fitting tribute to Cyrille today, I thought the half time “his” goals bit with the haunting but fittingly worded Matt Munro beautiful Softly As I Leave You quite moving. Brought a bit of a lump to the old throat

Last edited:

Johnnythespider

A sad but fitting tribute to Cyrille today, I thought the half time “his” goals bit with the haunting but fittingly worded Matt Munro beautiful Softly song quite moving. Brought a bit of a lump to the old throat
I shed a tear at that, very moving. Such an exciting player to watch.

chiefdave

BREAKING NEWS/PLS SHARE: BBC TWO pays tribute to the late Cyrille Regis with a special re-screening of "Whites v Blacks: How Football Changed A Nation".
Never seen that before, didn't even know there had been such a game. Was a really interesting program, well worth catching on iplayer for anyone who missed it.

Mcbean

Never seen that before, didn't even know there had been such a game. Was a really interesting program, well worth catching on iplayer for anyone who missed it.
I am actually just half way through now - some startling stuff !!

NortonSkyBlue

An immense euligy.
Yes it is a great read. Much loved, much admired.
He must have found it difficult to be in an aging disintegrating Albion team and finding out that your reward was in a poor Coventry side and not a club like Manchester United, like his colleagues Moses and Robson.
I am delighted he came out the other side and that we at least had several good years and the best memories of a great man.

BackRoomRummermill

Whatever is said by anybody , we all are important , this guy was very important to us down at Coventry , we thank you Cyrille from the bottom of our hearts.

wingy

Funeral been announced as the same day we play Cambridge on the Tuesday.(private)
WBA will be holding some type of Service on that day, announced on CWR tonight.

Grendel

What's up Grendel, I see you've been reading this thread ! And you haven't posted any tribute
to the legend Cyrille Regis !

I posted it on another thread - what a strange person you are.

Otis

SHFWHF once again.

Keep hearing 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and England.'

Now on Channel 5 news I have just heard them say in the news 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa.'

On the football show though at last they have just said 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and Coventry!'

Yay!!

wingy

SHFWHF once again.

Keep hearing 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and England.'

Now on Channel 5 news I have just heard them say in the news 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and Aston Villa.'

On the football show though at last they have just said 'Cyrille Regis, who played for West Bromwich Albion and Coventry!'

Yay!!
Happened on Monday Night on Central news.
You can guess it wasn't chronological order out of his 4 Midland clubs. :mad:

Otis

Cyrille himself said his greatest ever moment was winning the FA Cup with Coventry City.

Otis

Disgraceful that. Even Steve Bruce just said on Channel 5 that Cyrille wasn't at Villa long and would be remembered more for his time at West Brom and Coventry.

How can we not even be on that video? He was at Wolves for no time at all, yet was here for 7 years.

238 games for the City.

19 games for Wolves.

That is a outrageous for them to cover Villa and Wolves, but for us to not even be in that video.

Nick

Administrator
Disgraceful that. Even Steve Bruce just said on Channel 5 that Cyrille wasn't at Villa long and would be remembered more for his time at West Brom and Coventry.

How can we not even be on that video? He was at Wolves for no time at all, yet was here for 7 years.

238 games for the City.

19 games for Wolves.

That is a outrageous for them to cover Villa and Wolves, but for us to not even be in that video.

Everton as well...

Johnnythespider

I've noticed a bit of this in the coverage since his death, at first it irked me but then I just thought I know what Cyrille meant to Cov, and what Cov and more importantly the players he shared triumph with must have meant to him. They can be petty if they want whilst saying how the man himself rose above such pettiness, it doesn't bother me anymore, it's what the fans who watched him think that counts.

Otis

I've noticed a bit of this in the coverage since his death, at first it irked me but then I just thought I know what Cyrille meant to Cov, and what Cov and more importantly the players he shared triumph with must have meant to him. They can be petty if they want whilst saying how the man himself rose above such pettiness, it doesn't bother me anymore, it's what the fans who watched him think that counts.
Yep, agree, but I bet the best reception for the man was at the Hawthorns and the Ricoh.

Super Graham Withey

238 games for the City.

19 games for Wolves.

Don't worry about it. We are a historically unfashionable club now playing in the fourth tier, so maybe that is why we don't get mentioned as one of Cyrille's former clubs. But he won his only domestic honour in a City shirt and nothing will change that.

tigersb

Great tributes to the big man today
Heard that Celtic had a minutes applause today
Shows how much he was respected in the footballing world

Johhny Blue

How about extending the ninth minute tribute for nine games? Who's in starting with a loud & proud voice at M.K.

Users who are viewing this thread