Blame Game (1 Viewer)

ConnorDevine

Tony Mowbrays results have been poor in 2016 at best, his signings haven't been much better either, but I don't care if we're 7th or 20th in League 1, if we're not pushing for promotion it's unacceptable, I genuinely believe Tony Mowbray with a decent budget would have got us promoted.
We're the biggest club in League 1 in stature, maybe bigger than some Championship sides, I don't blame him for missing average players in his chase for quality, you can say he shouldn't have aimed so high and should have signed more realistic players whilst they were available but there has been no ambition or genuine drive for success at Coventry City FC for a long time, I don't think we've looked like doing anything even mildly impressive since Chris Coleman days until the first half of the 15/16 season.
2016 has been an awful year for him and us and he can't go on forever with this kind of form but I'll be sad to see him go, we had a real chance to have a Southampton/Leicester/Bournemouth/Norwich story with him but again the lack of funding from SISU and the general problems from Council have hampered the progress of the club.

Nick

Administrator
Sadly, we aren't the biggest club in League 1.

Sheffield United and Bolton for example.

No issue with aiming high if there are backup plans in place.

ConnorDevine

Sheff utd have never won anything in the modern era, Bolton had a few good years in the premier league but we were premier league for 30 years, won the fa cup in living memory.

Martin180

I think the opening post is symptomatic of the belief a lot of fans have had for the 40 years I've been supporting my club .Totally misguided !

ConnorDevine

I think the opening post is symptomatic of the belief a lot of fans have had for the 40 years I've been supporting my club .Totally misguided !
that we're bigger than league one and that it's a shame the board wont support a talented manager who clearly has big ambitions and ideas?

Nick

Administrator
that we're bigger than league one and that it's a shame the board wont support a talented manager who clearly has big ambitions and ideas?

It is alright having big ambitions and big ideas, but you have to build up to them.

Right now, we aren't bigger than league 1 are we? We aren't the biggest club in League 1.

I'd love for us to be the biggest club in the league, in the midlands etc but have to be a bit realistic.

It is probably why people are never happy, they don't realise we aren't the biggest club in the division for example.

Martin180

Even when we were in the top flight we were never a big club , it was nothing short of a miracle we survived as long as we did .
And I agree with your sentiments regarding Mowbray

RFC

Sheff utd have never won anything in the modern era, Bolton had a few good years in the premier league but we were premier league for 30 years, won the fa cup in living memory.

Reality check please, we are where we are for good reason, under numerous previous owners we've spent money we didn't have, hence the £60 million debt!

Basically miles away from where we all want to be and if you can afford billions we may one day get back there?

Gazolba

We're criticising Mowbray but we don't even seem to be able to get the Prediction League working on this site.

Evo1883

Sheffield United spent 60 years in the top flight
Bolton longer than us too .

Fans need to realise we are small fry these days , have no assets and are a club in terminal decline .
We haven't been a decent sized club for a number of years now

ConnorDevine

Even when we were in the top flight we were never a big club , it was nothing short of a miracle we survived as long as we did .
And I agree with your sentiments regarding Mowbray

I do agree, but we are below our minimum acceptable operating standard, the Crewe JPT or Gillingham first game back at the Ricoh prove there is still a supporter base worthy of investment to get us back to championship standard atleast

Reality check please, we are where we are for good reason, under numerous previous owners we've spent money we didn't have, hence the £60 million debt!

Being in league 1 must not be financially sustainable, promotion to the premier league pays well over £60m these days and I agree, overspending is mismanagement, but treading water in league 1 is mismanagement too, I don't see how the club can be financially rebuilt in league 1 and for us to get a manager with a CV like mowbrays in this league may never come along again, I feel like we've missed our one big chance to make positive movements

Nick

Administrator
The mistake was getting a manager with a CV like is, as it turns out he isn't the best in the lower leagues. It is like somebody used to having their 4 course meal at the restaurant cooked and then coming to league 1 and having to cook your own beans on toast. He was still trying to buy shit at Waitrose while all of the other managers knew when to get to Tesco to get the best deals and the best recipes to make the money go further.

ConnorDevine

Generally I've made a mess of explaining my thoughts with this whole thread but we're well below acceptable level and bad decisions from the Council and SISU have stopped a talented manager from achieving what should have been a huge positive step for the club. Regardless of if we're a big club or not we're atleast a championship club

Nick

Administrator
Generally I've made a mess of explaining my thoughts with this whole thread but we're well below acceptable level and bad decisions from the Council and SISU have stopped a talented manager from achieving what should have been a huge positive step for the club. Regardless of if we're a big club or not we're atleast a championship club

The thing is, a talented manager would surely make the best of the situation? They would get the best team for the budget available and playing the best system to suit the players available.

People can't sit there and say how good he is and blame the budget, if he was that good he would be getting the best out of a league 1 squad like other managers have to in league 1.

If he wasn't called Tony Mowbray and was called John Davies from Forest Green Rovers (made up name) and made the same decisions, same signings and got the same results it wouldn't have been good enough.

ConnorDevine

The mistake was getting a manager with a CV like is, as it turns out he isn't the best in the lower leagues. It is like somebody used to having their 4 course meal at the restaurant cooked and then coming to league 1 and having to cook your own beans on toast. He was still trying to buy shit at Waitrose while all of the other managers knew when to get to Tesco to get the best deals and the best recipes to make the money go further.

can appreciate that, but our beans on toast was looking great last year and with a couple more waitrose bits it'd have made it to a restaurant

Nick

Administrator
can appreciate that, but our beans on toast was looking great last year and with a couple more waitrose bits it'd have made it to a restaurant

No, it just needed a sprinkle of cheese and some Worcester Sauce. Mowbray went and spent bought Mackerel, Washing up liquid, Grapes and Bleach.

The team got found out, he had no plan B.

Let's not pretend he doesn't have history of it either.

ConnorDevine

No, it just needed a sprinkle of cheese and some Worcester Sauce. Mowbray went and spent bought Mackerel, Washing up liquid, Grapes and Bleach.

The team got found out, he had no plan B.

Let's not pretend he doesn't have history of it either.

OK, I really enjoyed that one, Yeah I'll agree his time was up, still like the bloke

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I do wish that people would stop going on about 60m debt. Yes I understand that the actions of Richardson et al led us to the place in 2008 that left us vulnerable to SISU. BUT......

- 2008 a line was drawn under the debts accumulated, they were discounted and financially the clock reset.
- SISU purchased the CCFC group for £561k cash (excluding costs) off balance sheet, took on the assets discounted the liabilities and reintroduced that -ve £8m as their investment
- the cash flow of the group it seems to me paid the discounted liabilities
- Basically the 9 year "investment" financed the losses of over £41m, investor loans were 30m cash tops, that's not investment that's just keeping it going, and is all owed back to the owners
- of that 8M original investment around £6m was further written off when we didn't make it back to the premiership by a certain time. So the most net debt left in 2008 was £2m and even that I would query
- so SISU basically had a clean slate to work from, were in a strong position to go forward, to make demands, plan a future, change rent deals, forge partnerships (yes I know others played a negative part too)
- since 2008 starting from a clean slate CCFC under SISU has led us to administration, plummeted down the League, lost its home in many peoples hearts let alone the Ricoh & AHC, accumulated nothing but pain, negativity and animosity, sold off its valuables, potentially looking to sell its training ground, become pretty much internet based, accumulated new net debt of £41m, become a graveyard for managerial careers, become a laughing stock in many peoples eyes, destroyed hopes, created a zombie club and tainted brand

they can not hide behind the excuse of the previous owners any longer. The previous owners might have led us to the edge of a steep cliff, but we didn't have to run down it, let alone sprint down it as led by SISU

To use a detailed financial term ................... they have fucked up big style ..................

Last edited:

Captain Dart

I do wish that people would stop going on about 60m debt. Yes I understand that the actions of Richardson et al led us to the place in 2008 that left us vulnerable to SISU. BUT......

- 2008 a line was drawn under the debts accumulated, they were discounted and financially the clock reset.
- SISU purchased the CCFC group for £561k cash (excluding costs) off balance sheet, took on the assets discounted the liabilities and reintroduced that -ve £8m as their investment
- Basically the 9 year investment financed the losses of over £41m, investor loans were 30m cash tops, that's not investment that's just keeping it going, and is all owed back to the owners
- of that 8M original investment around £6m was further written off when we didn't make it back to the premiership by a certain time. So the most net debt left in 2008 was £2m and even that I would query
- so SISU basically had a clean slate to work from, were in a strong position to go forward, to make demands, plan a future, change rent deals, forge partnerships (yes I know others played a negative part too)
- since 2008 starting from a clean slate CCFC under SISU has led us to administration, plummeted down the League, lost its home in many peoples hearts let alone the Ricoh & AHC, accumulated nothing but pain, negativity and animosity, sold off its valuables, potentially looking to sell its training ground, become pretty much internet based, accumulated new net debt of £41m, become a graveyard for managerial careers, become a laughing stock in many peoples eyes, destroyed hopes, become a zombie club and tainted brand

they can not hide behind the excuse of the previous owners any longer. The previous owners might has led us to the edge of a steep cliff, but we didn't have to run down it, let alone sprint down it as led by SISU

To use a detailed financial term ................... they have fucked up big style ..................

Its not all bad is it? Oh Ok yes it is all bad you are right.

Sky Blue Kid

And you've got the balls to take the piss out of my analogies!!!

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

- Basically the 9 year investment financed the losses of over £41m, investor loans were 30m cash tops, that's not investment that's just keeping it going, and is all owed back to the owners
- since 2008 starting from a clean slate CCFC under SISU has led us to administration, plummeted down the League, lost its home in many peoples hearts let alone the Ricoh & AHC, accumulated nothing but pain, negativity and animosity, sold off its valuables, potentially looking to sell its training ground, become pretty much internet based, accumulated new net debt of £41m, become a graveyard for managerial careers, become a laughing stock in many peoples eyes, destroyed hopes, created a zombie club and tainted brand

they can not hide behind the excuse of the previous owners any longer. The previous owners might have led us to the edge of a steep cliff, but we didn't have to run down it, let alone sprint down it as led by SISU

Yes ok but what have they done wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread