Bobby Gould (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

Bobby Gould said he'd manage the team for nothing..... just a thought ? We need a Dennis Wise character in the team ! Carsley, get your boots on !!!!

Lord_Nampil

Thorns also worked with Bobby before maybe we should get him involved, i said hello to him yesterday, so he knows whats going on!

WestEndAgro

I would love to see Bobby involved in some capacity, he is very, very passionate about Coventry, get him in.

J

Jack Griffin

I'd have thought Bobby had more sense than to get involved with SISU.

According to Friends Reunited Bobby should be in New Zealand at this time of year (from October) with family for a few months.

PUSB

EleanorRigby

Gould is that commited to Coventry he's lived in Bristol the last 30 years, should be able to get a lift there and back Boxing Day though !!

Nonleagueherewecome

After his comments on CWR telling fans not to boycott, no thanks. Never nevermind that he's an 80's footballing dinosaur.

JGazebo

We need to stop living in the past.

Jimmy Hill, Bobby Gould, John Sillett are all yesterdays men and cannot help us.

It is so tiring to see calls for past managers to return. Times have changed, and they are not driven in the way they were when they were good for us.

Walking Bird

I'd certainly prefer to have Gould in the dressing room than that orange faced pillock!

Disorganised1

I've always said I'm City 'till I die, but now I'm starting to wonder if City will die before me !

stupot07

The problem is we need a Dennis wise character on the pitch not in the dressing room. We haven't got the type of 'blood and thunder' players that would respond to it. They are all a bunch of wimps.

Grendel

Is this thread some sort of joke. Gould would have to pay the club. Even at his "peak" he was hopeless and was always likely to say and do embarassing things. Only manager I remember to have an effigy of himself carried around a ground in a coffin...can't think why.

Grendel

Is this thread some sort of joke. Gould would have to pay the club. Even at his "peak" he was hopeless and was always likely to say and do embarassing things. Only manager I remember to have an effigy of himself carried around a ground in a coffin...can't think why.

Actually I have had a rethink. I am thinking back to when Bobby Gould was first manager at Coventry City. Then the club literally lost all its players under the freedom of contract legislation and had no money to buy anyone. So Gould purchased a peculiar collection of unknown players from lower and non-leagues as well as a couple of very seasoned professionals. He made one inspirational signing in Terry Gibson (unlike Cody McDonald). People can churn out any statistic they care to but the bare facts are that squad should have been buried without trace. Instead it somehow survived by playing no diamond formation but a blood and guts approach to every game and their heads never dropped one. The current team would beat them easily (as long as they had a real manager).
Fast forward to 1992 and our old chum Brian Richardson is meddling in transfer policy and team affairs. So what does Gould do? Accept this meekly and say "it's my employer"? No, after a hammering at QPR he announces he has had enough and leaves Richardson to face up to the Match of the Day cameras. Next week Gould is a pundit as Sky covers the Sheffield Utd match and protests ensue. Whatever Gould's failings he had self belief - read one of the books from Stuart Pearce which describes an incident he produced a couple of pairs of boxing gloves and told him to sort their differences outside the ground. If Ken was on the bench on Saturday Gould would have kicked him out the ground.
So if I had a choice of the hugely eccentric Bobby Gould of the 1980's or the spineless, clueless, SISU worshipper Andy Thorn then actually my answer would be a whole lot different. At least it was fun.

stupot07

Football has move on light years since the 80's in terms of technique, tactical awareness, fitness, mental strength, playing conditions, etc. You'll never see a premier league team buy a squad full of non and lower league players again. Non league used to be a conveyer belt of talent that used to make the step up. Now its academies that are the main producer of players, even the non league players that do make it up to league one or championship have usually been previously released from a league academy.

Grendel

Football has move on light years since the 80's in terms of technique, tactical awareness, fitness, mental strength, playing conditions, etc. You'll never see a premier league team buy a squad full of non and lower league players again. Non league used to be a conveyer belt of talent that used to make the step up. Now its academies that are the main producer of players, even the non league players that do make it up to league one or championship have usually been previously released from a league academy.

They were still odds on to go down and survived and the point is managers have to ultimately make some difference. The other point was that individual had some pride and foresight when he was undermined and left. Thorn will tough it out because all he is interested is his SISU wages. You clearly support Thorn and see attributes I do not so why doesn't he resign. He would walk into a better job straight away surely? Clubs will be queueing to take him on...won't they?

Kuklinski

Actually I have had a rethink. I am thinking back to when Bobby Gould was first manager at Coventry City. Then the club literally lost all its players under the freedom of contract legislation and had no money to buy anyone. So Gould purchased a peculiar collection of unknown players from lower and non-leagues as well as a couple of very seasoned professionals. He made one inspirational signing in Terry Gibson (unlike Cody McDonald). People can churn out any statistic they care to but the bare facts are that squad should have been buried without trace. Instead it somehow survived by playing no diamond formation but a blood and guts approach to every game and their heads never dropped one. The current team would beat them easily (as long as they had a real manager).
Fast forward to 1992 and our old chum Brian Richardson is meddling in transfer policy and team affairs. So what does Gould do? Accept this meekly and say "it's my employer"? No, after a hammering at QPR he announces he has had enough and leaves Richardson to face up to the Match of the Day cameras. Next week Gould is a pundit as Sky covers the Sheffield Utd match and protests ensue. Whatever Gould's failings he had self belief - read one of the books from Stuart Pearce which describes an incident he produced a couple of pairs of boxing gloves and told him to sort their differences outside the ground. If Ken was on the bench on Saturday Gould would have kicked him out the ground.
So if I had a choice of the hugely eccentric Bobby Gould of the 1980's or the spineless, clueless, SISU worshipper Andy Thorn then actually my answer would be a whole lot different. At least it was fun.

Best post in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread